Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Washer Guide - Home Shop Machinist

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 23:11:23 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

"Artemus" wrote in message

snip
Here ya go.

See diagram at
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...5154-00001.png
Note the screws (#28) in the lower left. The bottom one goes thru
#27 and into a threaded hole in the head. This hole is open inside the
head all the way to the quill tube. I drilled the old threads (0.8-8
metric)
in the head out and tapped with 1/4-28 threads. The head casting is
not very thick and I wanted more threads in it than 1/4-20 would give.
Next I threaded a 2" piece of 1/4" brass rod 1/4-28 for about 3/4"
on one end and 1/4-20 on the other end for this knob
http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?O...lect=Detai ls.
The end that contacts the quill tube was filed flat across w/ a slight
chamfer on the corner.

To use just tighten it up so the quill play is nil but the quill still
travels
up/down easily. Tighten it some more and the quill will lock to
hold the chuck at any depth.

It's been about 10 years since I've done this and it's still working just
fine
with no wear on the quill at all from the brass rod .

I can post some pics tomorrow if you need them.
Art

Art, Thank you.

I've been a working all day on a part so I'm a little punchy. I'll read
your comment and look at the diagram again in the morning, but a picture is
always worth a thousand words.

Bob

Some one here posted a link to images where they did something similar
awhile back. They drilled two holes through the front casting offset at
about 90 deg and then did the same thing with some bronze/brass
inserts. The holes were in the front corners in the casting at about
the same height as your hole. It looked really tacky, but he claimed
it worked well and sounds good in theory. I've tried the one point as
you mentioned but there is still too much play. Need at least two
contact points to take out the slop in my presses...

But, the fix Bob passed on is for the spline area that slides up/down
inside the quill.

Look at this image:

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...5154-00003.png

Your fix takes the slop out of item: 6

Bob's fix (or what he passed on) takes the slop out of item: 11

Well... at least that is the way I see it...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b