Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best Way to Grind Silver & Collect Grindings

Hello - I need a way to grind silver bullion into basically dust sized
particles. I have manually taken a rasps, files and such and gotten
the desired results by hand. However, this takes forever and is a lot
of time and work. I need a mechanical solution. What kind of grinding
media, apparatus and such would work? I need to efficiently collect as
much silver as possible. Any ideas? Thanks, I appreciate it.

Also, if a ball mill would work, what would be the best grinding media
to use? Thanks again
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Parlous" wrote in message

Hello - I need a way to grind silver bullion into basically dust sized
particles. I have manually taken a rasps, files and such and gotten
the desired results by hand. However, this takes forever and is a lot
of time and work. I need a mechanical solution. What kind of grinding
media, apparatus and such would work? I need to efficiently collect as
much silver as possible. Any ideas? Thanks, I appreciate it.

Also, if a ball mill would work, what would be the best grinding media
to use? Thanks again

A largish linishing belt geared down to run slowly....

A shaper fitted with a file.....

I'd try cutting or casting into long strips/rods first.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/3/2011 11:10 PM, Parlous wrote:

Hello - I need a way to grind silver bullion into basically dust sized
particles. I have manually taken a rasps, files and such and gotten
the desired results by hand. However, this takes forever and is a lot
of time and work. I need a mechanical solution. What kind of grinding
media, apparatus and such would work? I need to efficiently collect as
much silver as possible. Any ideas? Thanks, I appreciate it.

Also, if a ball mill would work, what would be the best grinding media
to use? Thanks again

Any use of abrasives, sanding belt, etc. will incorporate abrasives into
the product; if that's ok then a belt sander would be the quickest way.
If you need clean silver dust then maybe a rotary file would work:
http://www.fdjtool.com/ProductInfo/20.2E_01404.aspx or something similar.

--
:3 )~
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[Ooop. Mailed instead of posted....]

Parlous wrote:

I need a way to grind silver bullion into basically dust sized
particles. I have manually taken a rasps, files and such and gotten
the desired results by hand. However, this takes forever and is a
lot of time and work. I need a mechanical solution.

It's not perfectly clear whether you're making some kind of workpiece
or if you just want to produce silver dust/grit.

In the latter case, see if you have some kind of low-speed
reciprocating widget or parts to make one lying around. Rig up up a
power filing machine with a simple table and some kind of spring feed
for it. Mount a file of whatever coarseness works and turn it on. Set
it in a wash tub or the like.

No need to complicate things with a lift-off on the back stroke
because silver won't mung the file teeth on a back stroke as steel
does.

Should run unattended for quite a while depending, of course, on the
size & shape of your bullion.

Or maybe one of our used gear guys here will have a ready-made power
filer for you.

If you want really fine silver dust, dissolve the silver in nitric
acid, neutralize any residual acid, then put copper scrap into the
silver nitrate solution. The copper replaces the silver in solution
and the silver precipitates out as very fine powder. Filter, wash and
dry.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, they've been extremely
helpful. Random contaminants and grit is not a big deal, I simply need
the silver dust material collected. The silver will then be placed in
another solution, along with the random grit material. I'm taking your
suggestions and thinking of the best way to collect the dust and
perhaps encasing the entire grinding apparatus into some sort of
plastic bin. Again, thanks for your help

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Parlous wrote:
Hello - I need a way to grind silver bullion into basically dust sized
particles. I have manually taken a rasps, files and such and gotten
the desired results by hand. However, this takes forever and is a lot
of time and work. I need a mechanical solution. What kind of grinding
media, apparatus and such would work? I need to efficiently collect as
much silver as possible. Any ideas? Thanks, I appreciate it.

Also, if a ball mill would work, what would be the best grinding media
to use? Thanks again

I saw your post and have been trying to remember who it as that made a
process for making fine bronze powder for use in gold paint, it was
Henry Bessemer see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Bessemer . Some
further information here but whether it'll be of use I don't know
http://www.history.rochester.edu/ehp-book/shb/hb05.htm .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 14:24:28 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

Parlous wrote:
Hello - I need a way to grind silver bullion into basically dust sized
particles. I have manually taken a rasps, files and such and gotten
the desired results by hand. However, this takes forever and is a lot
of time and work. I need a mechanical solution. What kind of grinding
media, apparatus and such would work? I need to efficiently collect as
much silver as possible. Any ideas? Thanks, I appreciate it.

Also, if a ball mill would work, what would be the best grinding media
to use? Thanks again

I saw your post and have been trying to remember who it as that made a
process for making fine bronze powder for use in gold paint, it was
Henry Bessemer see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Bessemer . Some
further information here but whether it'll be of use I don't know
http://www.history.rochester.edu/ehp-book/shb/hb05.htm .

How about a burr on a die grinder with external hose exhaust and a
cabinet to catch the dust, Parlous?

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to