Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Onan Engine, Lincoln Welder, good deal, fixable?

Saw this on Craigslist, not sure if it's a bargain or something to stay away
from.

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/tls/2720575337.html

I pass thru this town daily on my way to/from work.

I figure if it's a great deal it's probably already gone, but I can check.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't know for that era/model. In some of the later (unless that one's
just beat on to look old) models I'm sure that "runs but doesn't weld"
is probably uneconomical to fix due to the way the electronics are
done/priced - the sort of thing that becomes dubious to fix as soon as
it's out of warranty due to overpriced parts and having to replace a
large assembly to replace one or two failed parts. I got one of those
fixed under warranty (just) and it was a relief that I wasn't paying for
all the parts & the head scratching time as the guy (thinking to make a
quick repair while I waited) swapped out every board he had a spare for
with no effect, and then sent me on my way as he ordered the main board
for it, and it was sent back to my local branch a week later.

In general, I now know that (for gasoline models) the Kohler engine ones
are better - not only longer life, but longer service intervals and
better fuel economy (though I also now know to shop for a diesel if
concerned in the slightest way with fuel economy in a generator/welder.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-26, RogerN wrote:
Saw this on Craigslist, not sure if it's a bargain or something to stay away
from.

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/tls/2720575337.html

I pass thru this town daily on my way to/from work.

I figure if it's a great deal it's probably already gone, but I can check.

A typical easy to fix problem with those are bad brushes on the
generator.

I would consider at $200.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 20:22:22 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

Saw this on Craigslist, not sure if it's a bargain or something to stay away
from.

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/tls/2720575337.html

I pass thru this town daily on my way to/from work.
I figure if it's a great deal it's probably already gone, but I can check.
RogerN

You should stop by there and take a look at it anyway. The repair
might be something simple and cheap that he has missed. Then offer him
$225 for it and tell him you'll have to repair it to make it weld. He
may be looking to just dump it and take a really low bid on it.

You may be able to fix the boards yourself if you have a little
electronics background and can find the schematics online. If you can
fix it pretty inexpensively, that will make a nice machine.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
Saw this on Craigslist, not sure if it's a bargain or something to stay
away from.

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/tls/2720575337.html

I pass thru this town daily on my way to/from work.

I figure if it's a great deal it's probably already gone, but I can check.

RogerN

I bought one new, and it ran and ran and ran. Others said they had nothing
but problems. But that was from new. It's a coin flip as to whether this
one is a good one or not.

What's that phrase there "runs good but does not weld"? I'd take a look at
that and maybe rethink, unless you are going to use it for a straight
emergency generator or such.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in

You may be able to fix the boards yourself if you have a little
electronics background and can find the schematics online. If you can
fix it pretty inexpensively, that will make a nice machine.
Dave

Had one from new, and it's a DAMN nice machine. Yes, if it can be revived
for a good price, it would be a good deal. Just keep up with the
maintenance ...... oil, filter, air filters, etc, just as you would for any
fine machine. Funny, but they last a lot longer that way.

It is nice that it said there are some rebuilt parts on there, although one
can only hope the repairs were done right. But they are not that
complicated.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32097" wrote in message

A typical easy to fix problem with those are bad brushes on the
generator.

I would consider at $200.

I don't know if this is right, but I'm thinking for the money, I could
attempt to fix the welder, if it's too expensive I could part it or scrap
the welder part (copper windings?) and get a generator to use with the Onan
engine. I don't do much welding away from electrical power but it would be
nice to have a good generator.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
"Ignoramus32097" wrote in message

A typical easy to fix problem with those are bad brushes on the
generator.

I would consider at $200.

I don't know if this is right, but I'm thinking for the money, I could
attempt to fix the welder, if it's too expensive I could part it or scrap
the welder part (copper windings?) and get a generator to use with the
Onan engine. I don't do much welding away from electrical power but it
would be nice to have a good generator.

RogerN

Keep in mind the engine will have a tapered output shaft. About all the
engine is good for is a generator or welder, unless you can machine an
adaptor.
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-27, RogerN wrote:
"Ignoramus32097" wrote in message

A typical easy to fix problem with those are bad brushes on the
generator.

I would consider at $200.

I don't know if this is right, but I'm thinking for the money, I could
attempt to fix the welder, if it's too expensive I could part it or scrap
the welder part (copper windings?) and get a generator to use with the Onan
engine. I don't do much welding away from electrical power but it would be
nice to have a good generator.

So, did you contact the seller?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm no welder expert, but that engine driven basic AC or maybe AC/DC welder
doesn't look like it would need/have any sophisticated electronics mounted
on expensive circuit boards.

When considering a multi-function stick AC/DC and MIG-TIG welder, there will
be a higher likelyhood of some authorized repair center involvement.

As far as the generator condition, I'd be especially interested in examining
the condition of the armature's commutator bars, or any signs of
overheated/burned wiring in the rig.

--
WB

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
Saw this on Craigslist, not sure if it's a bargain or something to stay
away from.

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/tls/2720575337.html

I pass thru this town daily on my way to/from work.

I figure if it's a great deal it's probably already gone, but I can check.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10577" wrote in message

So, did you contact the seller?

Not yet, it looks like a pretty good buy to me, especially if they'd take
$200 for it. I'm just not too excited about it because I don't have much of
a place to put it or work on it, and I have plenty of projects.

If I get a chance to call about it from work during break, I may take a look
at it if the seller is home at that time. If it worked out I'd drive my
truck to work and get it on the way home, but I really need to get my
forklift running first so I can move it to get the welder in the shop door.
Then I probably wouldn't work on it because my shop is at my old house 5
miles away.

I'd like to have a shop here but it's going to cost around $18k for a 30 X
50 pole building with concrete floor, then a few thousand to get power to
the building and get it wired. I'm 48 and am undecided about spending
versus paying off everything, I'd like to have everything paid for to leave
my wife in descent shape financially when I'm gone. This diabetes has been
too difficult to control, I don't think I have many years left and don't
know how many I'll be able to continue working. On the other hand I'd like
to teach my son about machining, CNC, and electrical controls, it could
benefit him in the future so maybe he won't have to flip burgers or bag
groceries.

Child support has left me devastated and I don't think I have enough life
left to ever recover. If I don't go into any more debt I can pay off
everything in about 5 years, but my house needs a floor and a roof, auto's
need serviced, etc...

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-28, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Roger, I would buy it for $200, fix it and sell right away. If it
cannot be easily fixed (read 3-4 hours), I would scrap the generator
and sell the Onan engine. I would not drag this on for long, at $200
it is a winner either way.

Lincoln SA200 Welder BFR Metalworking 24 May 5th 16 11:50 PM
Need help re Onan engine The Duffer's Wife Metalworking 1 March 2nd 06 06:24 PM
O.T help with onan engine williamhenry Metalworking 6 May 12th 05 02:05 AM
sometimes a good deal isn't so good. I bought an old welder. Modat22 Metalworking 13 January 25th 05 05:37 PM
Lincoln 225 welder, what can it do? [email protected] Metalworking 11 January 6th 05 11:35 PM