Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10577 Ignoramus10577 is offline

Default Onan Engine, Lincoln Welder, good deal, fixable?

On 2011-11-28, RogerN wrote:
"Ignoramus10577" wrote in message

So, did you contact the seller?

Not yet, it looks like a pretty good buy to me, especially if they'd take
$200 for it. I'm just not too excited about it because I don't have much of
a place to put it or work on it, and I have plenty of projects.

If I get a chance to call about it from work during break, I may take a look
at it if the seller is home at that time. If it worked out I'd drive my
truck to work and get it on the way home, but I really need to get my
forklift running first so I can move it to get the welder in the shop door.
Then I probably wouldn't work on it because my shop is at my old house 5
miles away.

I'd like to have a shop here but it's going to cost around $18k for a 30 X
50 pole building with concrete floor, then a few thousand to get power to
the building and get it wired. I'm 48 and am undecided about spending
versus paying off everything, I'd like to have everything paid for to leave
my wife in descent shape financially when I'm gone. This diabetes has been
too difficult to control, I don't think I have many years left and don't
know how many I'll be able to continue working. On the other hand I'd like
to teach my son about machining, CNC, and electrical controls, it could
benefit him in the future so maybe he won't have to flip burgers or bag
groceries.

Child support has left me devastated and I don't think I have enough life
left to ever recover. If I don't go into any more debt I can pay off
everything in about 5 years, but my house needs a floor and a roof, auto's
need serviced, etc...

RogerN

Roger, I would buy it for $200, fix it and sell right away. If it
cannot be easily fixed (read 3-4 hours), I would scrap the generator
and sell the Onan engine. I would not drag this on for long, at $200
it is a winner either way.