Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need more memory

I'm trying to run another app on my shop 'puter...

Its an HP D530 P4 with 512 memory. Lots more specs he
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11632_na.html

When it boots it says DDR 266 and runs up to 512 on the memory test. I
pulled the stick and all it says is DDR 266, no other labels.

On New Egg, this is the closest I can find:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20266%20pc2700

Will this work? Do different size sticks work together?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I'm trying to run another app on my shop 'puter...

Its an HP D530 P4 with 512 memory. Lots more specs he
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11632_na.html

When it boots it says DDR 266 and runs up to 512 on the memory test. I
pulled the stick and all it says is DDR 266, no other labels.

On New Egg, this is the closest I can find:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20266%20pc2700

Will this work? Do different size sticks work together?

Karl

If you go to the first link you provided and go to the top and click on
"Memory" you'll find:

DDR SYNCH DRAM Non-ECC Memory
It is not necessary to add memory in pairs. Memory upgrades are accomplished by
adding single or multiple DIMMs of the same or varied sizes. This chart does not
represent all possible memory configurations. The Intel 865G chipset supports non-ECC
266MHz (PC2100), 333MHz (PC2700) and 400MHz (PC3200) DDR memory.
For best performance, add in pairs, add in same channel, and do not mix speeds. For
dual-channel performance, DIMMs must be same size, same DRAM technology, same DRAM
bus width, and either all single-sided or double-sided DIMMs. Brand and timing specs
are not an issue. If speeds are mixed, default will default to the slowest DIMM.

Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I'm trying to run another app on my shop 'puter...

Its an HP D530 P4 with 512 memory. Lots more specs he
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11632_na.html

When it boots it says DDR 266 and runs up to 512 on the memory test. I
pulled the stick and all it says is DDR 266, no other labels.

On New Egg, this is the closest I can find:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20266%20pc2700

Will this work? Do different size sticks work together?

Karl

This is a good place to check, and sometimes to buy:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...rm%20 Factors

Those are high, I would check second-hand computer dealers for better prices
on used RAM. Supposedly memory should be matched for better performance,
though I've read that the improvement may be hard to see. I haven't seen a
problem mixing speeds and sizes. Faster memory will run at the speed of the
slowest stick or the bus speed. For example this PC has a 1G and a 512M
stick of PC2-5300 which would operate at 333MHz if on a faster bus, in here
they run at 266MHz.

These are good info tools to show you the hardware details.
http://download.cnet.com/HWiNFO32/30...-10437914.html
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

[...]

Yeeeouch! That price is really high.
PC2700 has been around a while and I scored 2 used sticks of 512M off
of Craigs List for $10. Both of them pass MS's memory test utility with
flying colors and work in my computer just fine.
Beware of the ECC type as it will not work in many computers.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:55:45 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

THANKS for pointing this out. I had some PC2100 256 in the scrap box.
First time didn't work. Then I put the small ones in the first two
slots and the 512 in slot 3. JOY and 0 cost. My kinda fix.

I also need a graphics card with 128 memory. Scored an Nvidea on
fleabay for $13 with shipping.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:52:41 -0600, Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm trying to run another app on my shop 'puter...

Its an HP D530 P4 with 512 memory. Lots more specs he
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11632_na.html

When it boots it says DDR 266 and runs up to 512 on the memory test. I
pulled the stick and all it says is DDR 266, no other labels.

On New Egg, this is the closest I can find:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20266%20pc2700

Will this work? Do different size sticks work together?

From specs, it looks like that memory part will work. (Spec says: "It is
not necessary to add memory in pairs. Memory upgrades are accomplished by
adding single or multiple DIMMs of the same or varied sizes. ... the 865G
chipset supports non-ECC 266MHz (PC2100), 333MHz (PC2700) and 400MHz
(PC3200) DDR memory. For best performance, add in pairs, add in same
channel, and do not mix speeds. For dual-channel performance, DIMMs
must be same size, same DRAM technology, same DRAM bus width, and
either all single-sided or double-sided DIMMs. Brand and timing specs
are not an issue. If speeds are mixed, default will default to the
slowest DIMM.")

In other words, different sizes work together ok, but may run slower
because dual-channel access won't work with different sizes lined up.
(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture
picture of two yellow and two orange slots, one of each per channel.
You didn't say if you have Minitower D530, which has 2 channels and
4 DIMM slots, or Ultraslim Desktop D530, which has 1 channel and 2
DIMM slots. With only one channel, "dual-channel performance" isn't
possible anyway.) If you are running low-end apps on small data sets
on an obsolete computer, dual-channel performance probably won't matter.

32-bit MS Windows XP maxes out using 3GB even if your computer has
4GB RAM installed. It might not be worth the money to get 4GB but
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2GB-DDR-SDRAM-PC3200-2-GB-PC-3200-DDR400-2X-1GB-Memory-/130468032164?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6080 2ea4
for $22.35 or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161161 or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146366
for about $45 would get you up to 2GB (or 2.5GB if you have 4 slots),
which helps XP run faster and more reliably.

SDRAM comes in 168-Pin single data rate, 184-Pin DDR, 240-Pin DDR2,
and 240-Pin DDR3. For a comparison of DDR with DDR2 and DDR3 parts see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileesktop_DDR_Memory_Comparison.svg
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM. Per picture, the DDR
notch is at about 73mm from one end of stick, if you want to double-check
what you have.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James Waldby" wrote in message
In other words, different sizes work together ok, but may run slower
because dual-channel access won't work with different sizes lined up.
(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture
picture of two yellow and two orange slots, one of each per channel.
You didn't say if you have Minitower D530, which has 2 channels and
4 DIMM slots, or Ultraslim Desktop D530, which has 1 channel and 2
DIMM slots. With only one channel, "dual-channel performance" isn't
possible anyway.) If you are running low-end apps on small data sets
on an obsolete computer, dual-channel performance probably won't matter.
jiw

Here's what's happening behind the curtain:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

When the CPU doesn't find the memory address it wants in its built-in
superfast cache memory it loads in a new block of addresses from the RAM
sticks. I think the double, triple, quad data widths speed up the block
transfers rather than access to a single random location, so the perceived
memory speed really depends on subtleties of the hardware and software.

A compiled integer FOR loop runs at half the CPU clock speed, much faster
than system RAM access time would permit, showing that it executes from the
instruction and data caches. No one has paid me to write timing tests that
trigger cache misses.

For the user the PC either is or isn't fast enough and the only real choice
is to replace it. I sometimes hit that limit recording HDTV on a 2.2GHz
machine with a too-small L1 cache. Its 3GHz replacement loafs along at 30%
CPU useage.

In simple terms the cache contains the tools and parts you have out on your
small workbench, RAM is those in the bigger cabinet and the hard drive holds
the stuff in the huge warehouse.

jsw

Just a memory.... RBnDFW Metalworking 3 June 17th 10 05:58 PM
Just a memory.... Don Foreman Metalworking 6 June 17th 10 05:10 AM
MEMORY marlinaz Metalworking 1 October 15th 07 01:55 PM
MEMORY marlinaz Metalworking 0 October 15th 07 06:10 AM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM