Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just a memory....

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 22:58:47 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Someone just sent me a link to this video.

Saw my cousin again.....nearly 40 yrs dead. He would have been in his
early 60s now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8b...&feature=email

Gunner

Lake Superior must be experienced to be appreciated. Gordon
Lightfoot's song told about how Lake Michigan steams like a younger
man's dreams, but November on Lake Superior can make a north sea gale
look like a paddle in the park. You know that, being a yooper eh.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Someone just sent me a link to this video.

Saw my cousin again.....nearly 40 yrs dead. He would have been in his
early 60s now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8b...&feature=email

Gunner

Lake Superior must be experienced to be appreciated. Gordon
Lightfoot's song told about how Lake Michigan steams like a younger
man's dreams, but November on Lake Superior can make a north sea gale
look like a paddle in the park. You know that, being a yooper eh.

Yah eh.

Took a Boston Whaler out in late October..out in Lac la Bell.

Storm came in while my cousin and I were fishing.

Fortunately it was blowing towards the shore..and fortunately one cannot
sink a Whaler without grinding it up.

And fortunately the waves coming 10' over the top of the Whaler washed
the puke away.

Superior s relatively shallow..and very long. Like a pizza pan. The
waves come very very very close together. Ive seen 25' waves, 30'
apart. Tends to break ships in half with ease. Freighters have to be
specially engineered to survive on Superior.

http://symonsez.files.wordpress.com/...rior-storm.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct-5C...eature=related

Some good surfing in Minnesota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Lg6...eature=related

Notice how close they are together.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3zqU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwIwm...eature=related

Its a marvelous lake in the summer months. But the water never really
warms up all that much except in bays and coves.

And while there are many beaches...few are made of sand. Most are rocks,
pebbles or bedrock sticking through the waves.
http://www.hutchk12.org/geo/mngeo/page26.html

And as the song says...Superior never gives up her dead.

The water is so cold..that few people bloat up and float.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 16, 7:26*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:

[...]

Superior s relatively shallow..and very long. *Like a pizza pan.

Ummm..... no, it's not. That would be Lake Erie:

"[Lake Superior's] average depth is 482 feet (147 m) with a maximum depth of
1,332 feet (406 m). ... [Lake Erie] is the shallowest of the Great Lakes with
an average depth of 62 feet (19 m) and a maximum depth of 210 feet (64 m).."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Su...wiki/Lake_Erie

Note that Erie's *maximum* depth is only 40% of Superior's *average*.

And once again, Gunner makes **** up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:26:37 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Superior s relatively shallow..and very long. Like a pizza pan.

Ummm..... no, it's not. That would be Lake Erie:

"[Lake Superior's] average depth is 482 feet (147 m) with a maximum depth of
1,332 feet (406 m). ... [Lake Erie] is the shallowest of the Great Lakes with
an average depth of 62 feet (19 m) and a maximum depth of 210 feet (64 m)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Superior
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Erie

Note that Erie's *maximum* depth is only 40% of Superior's *average*.

Doug..notice the part about "relatively shallow..and very long"?

It also runs in a east/west direction

Gunner, Michigan native

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

Lake Superior must be experienced to be appreciated. Gordon
Lightfoot's song told about how Lake Michigan steams like a younger
man's dreams, but November on Lake Superior can make a north sea gale
look like a paddle in the park. You know that, being a yooper eh.

You ever make it up to Whitefish Point to the ship wreck museum?

http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/

I took a left turn on my way back from Melstrand (near Munising) to see it years ago.

Lightfoot is an awesome creator and singer of folksongs.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:28:14 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

Lake Superior must be experienced to be appreciated. Gordon
Lightfoot's song told about how Lake Michigan steams like a younger
man's dreams, but November on Lake Superior can make a north sea gale
look like a paddle in the park. You know that, being a yooper eh.

You ever make it up to Whitefish Point to the ship wreck museum?

http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/

Oh my yes! And nearby Tahquamenon Falls. There are some crime novels
by Steve Hamilton set in Paradise, MI, which is near Whitefish Point.
40 years ago one could go to the Newberry dump to see the bears, don't
know if that's still possible.

MEMORY marlinaz Metalworking 1 October 15th 07 01:55 PM
MEMORY marlinaz Metalworking 0 October 15th 07 06:10 AM
how to repair DDR memory RAM? wefixpcmotherboard Electronics Repair 2 July 7th 06 12:04 AM
Can you jog my memory, please? [email protected] Metalworking 5 January 26th 06 02:02 AM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM