Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can you jog my memory, please?

About 4 years ago I was brazing up a prototype bike frame from EMT and
I used 'some kind' of household product to remove the galvanizing, in
the area of the joints.

Now I can't remember what it was that I used.

I do remember that it was a liquid, that I put some in a glass jar and
stood the end of the tube in it and also that it fizzed and bubbled
somewhat.

If you would jog my memory here, I'd appreciate it.

Lewis.

********

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Probably muriatic acid. Be very careful with this stuff; it
usually comes in green plastic gallon jugs and you'll probably find that
the jug degrades and starts falling apart long before the muriatic is used
up. Plan on having a large quantity of whatever's used to neutralize it to
hand just in case. Also use out of doors and do NOT breathe the stuff!
Neutralize stripped part with running water; make sure your critters aren't
going to drink from the puddle.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"steamer" wrote in message
--Probably muriatic acid. Be very careful with this stuff; it

The grocery store version is "Sno-Bol" toilet bowl cleaner. It contains
about 10% HCl with mostly water and detergents for the rest.

It's quite corrosive enough to both remove the zinc, and pickle the steel
prior to brazing.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The grocery store version is "Sno-Bol" toilet bowl cleaner.

Thanks, LLoyd, I think that must have been what I used.

Lewis.

******

Teac AG 260 receiver memory [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 December 9th 05 07:02 PM
Very Unusual Memory Card Problem [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 June 11th 05 01:18 PM
Repairing a K2000R synthesizer: battery backed memory Robert Graham Jr. Electronics Repair 2 February 16th 05 12:57 AM
OT - 386 code Cliff Metalworking 40 January 24th 05 05:47 AM
FS: Semiconductor Data Books [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 April 28th 04 10:02 PM