DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can you jog my memory, please? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/141931-can-you-jog-my-memory-please.html)

[email protected] January 25th 06 06:09 PM

Can you jog my memory, please?

About 4 years ago I was brazing up a prototype bike frame from EMT and
I used 'some kind' of household product to remove the galvanizing, in
the area of the joints.

Now I can't remember what it was that I used.

I do remember that it was a liquid, that I put some in a glass jar and
stood the end of the tube in it and also that it fizzed and bubbled
somewhat.

If you would jog my memory here, I'd appreciate it.

Lewis.

********

steamer January 25th 06 06:25 PM

Can you jog my memory, please?

--Probably muriatic acid. Be very careful with this stuff; it
usually comes in green plastic gallon jugs and you'll probably find that
the jug degrades and starts falling apart long before the muriatic is used
up. Plan on having a large quantity of whatever's used to neutralize it to
hand just in case. Also use out of doors and do NOT breathe the stuff!
Neutralize stripped part with running water; make sure your critters aren't
going to drink from the puddle.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh January 25th 06 06:41 PM

Can you jog my memory, please?

"steamer" wrote in message
--Probably muriatic acid. Be very careful with this stuff; it

The grocery store version is "Sno-Bol" toilet bowl cleaner. It contains
about 10% HCl with mostly water and detergents for the rest.

It's quite corrosive enough to both remove the zinc, and pickle the steel
prior to brazing.

LLoyd

[email protected] January 26th 06 12:27 AM

Can you jog my memory, please?

The grocery store version is "Sno-Bol" toilet bowl cleaner.

Thanks, LLoyd, I think that must have been what I used.

Lewis.

******

Andrew VK3BFA January 26th 06 02:02 AM

Can you jog my memory, please?

wrote:
About 4 years ago I was brazing up a prototype bike frame from EMT and
I used 'some kind' of household product to remove the galvanizing, in
the area of the joints.

Now I can't remember what it was that I used.

I do remember that it was a liquid, that I put some in a glass jar and
stood the end of the tube in it and also that it fizzed and bubbled
somewhat.

If you would jog my memory here, I'd appreciate it.

Lewis.

********

"spirits of salts" is its traditional name - used by roof plumbers for
removing galvanizing on guttering prior to soldering. Comes in small
glass jars. Applied with home made brush - piece of copper pipe belted
flat on a bunch of horsehair. Probably NLA now, but worth a try at
your local plumbing supplies store.

Andrew VK3BFA.