Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Default Can you jog my memory, please?

wrote:
About 4 years ago I was brazing up a prototype bike frame from EMT and
I used 'some kind' of household product to remove the galvanizing, in
the area of the joints.

Now I can't remember what it was that I used.

I do remember that it was a liquid, that I put some in a glass jar and
stood the end of the tube in it and also that it fizzed and bubbled
somewhat.

If you would jog my memory here, I'd appreciate it.

Lewis.

********

"spirits of salts" is its traditional name - used by roof plumbers for
removing galvanizing on guttering prior to soldering. Comes in small
glass jars. Applied with home made brush - piece of copper pipe belted
flat on a bunch of horsehair. Probably NLA now, but worth a try at
your local plumbing supplies store.

Andrew VK3BFA.