Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just a memory....

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 01:39:05 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 22:58:47 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Someone just sent me a link to this video.

Saw my cousin again.....nearly 40 yrs dead. He would have been in his
early 60s now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8b...&feature=email

Gunner

Lake Superior must be experienced to be appreciated. Gordon
Lightfoot's song told about how Lake Michigan steams like a younger
man's dreams, but November on Lake Superior can make a north sea gale
look like a paddle in the park. You know that, being a yooper eh.

Yah eh.

Took a Boston Whaler out in late October..out in Lac la Bell.

Storm came in while my cousin and I were fishing.

Fortunately it was blowing towards the shore..and fortunately one cannot
sink a Whaler without grinding it up.

And fortunately the waves coming 10' over the top of the Whaler washed
the puke away.

Superior s relatively shallow..and very long. Like a pizza pan. The
waves come very very very close together. Ive seen 25' waves, 30'
apart. Tends to break ships in half with ease. Freighters have to be
specially engineered to survive on Superior.

http://symonsez.files.wordpress.com/...rior-storm.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct-5C...eature=related

Some good surfing in Minnesota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Lg6...eature=related

Notice how close they are together.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3zqU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwIwm...eature=related

Its a marvelous lake in the summer months. But the water never really
warms up all that much except in bays and coves.

And while there are many beaches...few are made of sand. Most are rocks,
pebbles or bedrock sticking through the waves.
http://www.hutchk12.org/geo/mngeo/page26.html

And as the song says...Superior never gives up her dead.

The water is so cold..that few people bloat up and float.

Gunner

Gunner Asch