Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Foil-back Extruded Styrofoam?

Is there any foil-backed extruded polystyrene foam insulation available
in the US?
I've googled & googled and every link leads to Australia or New Zealand;
even common product names like "Foamular" only show up with foil "down
under" for some reason. I need about 80 to 100 4' x 8' sheets of 2"
styrofoam with foil on one side, if I can find it.
Any ideas on where to look or what name to search for?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 7, 3:00*pm, "David Courtney" wrote:
* * Is there any foil-backed extruded polystyrene foam insulation available
in the US?
* * I've googled & googled and every link leads to Australia or New Zealand;
even common product names like "Foamular" only show up with foil "down
under" for some reason. *I need about 80 to 100 4' x 8' sheets of 2"
styrofoam with foil on one side, if I can find it.
* * Any ideas on where to look or what name to search for?

"Foil faced rigid insulation" ?
"radiant barrier rigid insulation" ?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Courtney" fired this volley in news:j99dcp
:

I need about 80 to 100 4' x 8' sheets of 2"
styrofoam with foil on one side, if I can find it.
Any ideas on where to look or what name to search for?

Lowes in the US carries a two-sided foil-backed EPS (expanded polystrene)
bead foam board. I'm unaware of only one-sided foil. It either comes
both sides, or none.

If you can't find it, consider polyisocyanurate foam, which almost always
comes foil-backed (both sides, again), and has a higher R-factor per inch
than EPS foam. (more resistant to solvents, too! In fact, almost immune
to all of them -- nearly as good as polyurethane)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Courtney Inscribed thus:

Is there any foil-backed extruded polystyrene foam insulation
available
in the US?
I've googled & googled and every link leads to Australia or New
Zealand;
even common product names like "Foamular" only show up with foil "down
under" for some reason. I need about 80 to 100 4' x 8' sheets of 2"
styrofoam with foil on one side, if I can find it.
Any ideas on where to look or what name to search for?

Try "Celotex".

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/7/2011 2:00 PM, David Courtney wrote:
Is there any foil-backed extruded polystyrene foam insulation available
in the US?
I've googled& googled and every link leads to Australia or New Zealand;
even common product names like "Foamular" only show up with foil "down
under" for some reason. I need about 80 to 100 4' x 8' sheets of 2"
styrofoam with foil on one side, if I can find it.
Any ideas on where to look or what name to search for?

Johns Manville AP Foil-faced is one. Think the popularity has waned
significantly owing to high oil prices driving it way up in cost.

http://www.specjm.com/files/pdf/building_insulation.pdf

http://www.specjm.com/files/pdf/Res_Prod_Guide_BIC564.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 14:00:20 -0600, "David Courtney"
wrote:

Is there any foil-backed extruded polystyrene foam insulation available
in the US?
I've googled & googled and every link leads to Australia or New Zealand;
even common product names like "Foamular" only show up with foil "down
under" for some reason. I need about 80 to 100 4' x 8' sheets of 2"
styrofoam with foil on one side, if I can find it.
Any ideas on where to look or what name to search for?

Foil backed urethane foam is common enough in Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Courtney" wrote in message
Is there any foil-backed extruded polystyrene foam insulation available
in the US?
I've googled & googled and every link leads to Australia or New
Zealand; even common product names like "Foamular" only show up with foil
"down under" for some reason. I need about 80 to 100 4' x 8' sheets of 2"
styrofoam with foil on one side, if I can find it.
Any ideas on where to look or what name to search for?

Thanks for the replies, apparently the answer is "no".
Unfortunately, it can't be polyisocyanurate like Johns Manville AP, or
"expanded" polystyrene beadboard, or have foil on both sides.
Oddly, the blue/pink extruded polystyrene board with foil on one side
seems to be popular in Australia & New Zealand but appears to be
"unavailable" here; which means I'll be gluing foil or mylar to (probably
itself, myself, and) the Pink Panther. :-(

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

You probably know this, but be careful about the adhesive you use. A lot of
solvents attack polystyrene. You'll want to run a small test first.

I've had good luck using household white glue (Elmer's, PVA). I was
surprised that it stuck pretty well to aluminum foil. Use a very thin layer
if you do, because it doesn't dry well with aluminum on one side and
closed-cell foam on the other.

I'm sure there are better alternatives, but it's cheap, easy to work with,
and I already had some. d8-) I did NOT try it on large,
household-insulation-type panels. I was just lining a cooler with blueboard
for a special purpose.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/8/2011 9:19 AM, David Courtney wrote:
Unfortunately, it can't be polyisocyanurate like Johns Manville AP, or
"expanded" polystyrene beadboard, ...

OK, inquiring minds and all that...why not?

... which means I'll be gluing foil or mylar to (probably
itself, myself, and) the Pink Panther.:-(

Maybe roll the film out on contact cement or spray adhesive (one surface
only should be sufficient, maybe)???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 8, 10:19*am, "David Courtney" wrote:
[...]

Depending on the application (and how many panels) and why it has to
be that material or only one-sided, maybe the way forwards is to cheat
and glue a thin double-sided sheet of the correct (or any) type to a
thin sheet of non-foil-backed?

Might be a lot quicker/easier gluing sheets than gluing on foil.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 11/8/2011 9:19 AM, David Courtney wrote:
Unfortunately, it can't be polyisocyanurate like Johns Manville AP,
or
"expanded" polystyrene beadboard, ...

OK, inquiring minds and all that...why not?

... which means I'll be gluing foil or mylar to (probably
itself, myself, and) the Pink Panther.:-(

Maybe roll the film out on contact cement or spray adhesive (one surface
only should be sufficient, maybe)???

I'm searching for 8' wide rolls of adhesive-backed foil or reflective
film now. It must be kept with the foil-faced polystyrene because I can't
find it, either. LOL