Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forklift weight scale/pressure gauge?

I am thinking, that when the forklift holds a weight on the forks, the
pressure in the main lift cylinder should be a linear function of
weight:

P = A + B * W

Does anyone make a product or some such that I can hook into the
hydraulic line somehow, that would tell me the pressure and the weight
of the item being lifted?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8802 wrote:
I am thinking, that when the forklift holds a weight on the forks, the
pressure in the main lift cylinder should be a linear function of
weight:

P = A + B * W

Does anyone make a product or some such that I can hook into the
hydraulic line somehow, that would tell me the pressure and the weight
of the item being lifted?

Sure, most lift companies sell them. They are a calibrated gauge that
attaches to the lift side of the ram. You pick the item up. Release the
handle and the gauge reads out the weight in pounds/kilos. The
mechanical ones work OK but they are hard to read sometimes.
I like the electronic versions.

Electronic versions with a pressure transducer.
http://www.americanforkliftscales.com/
http://www.materialshandlingequipmen.../weight-guage/
http://www.forkliftscales.us/

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ignoramus8802 wrote:
[...]

The ones we used at conventions had a little printer that would print out a
tape of serial lifts. Not very complicated, and I believe wouldn't be very
expensive. They were the very old pin printers, and you'd hit PRINT and it
would sound like chicken scratching, then spit out a ticket as wide as a
cash register tape. The unit was four by four by six inches. Digital
weight readout.

They're out there, they ain't expensive, just find one.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yea but you can't afford it. But maybe surplus...

During the Viet Nam war, I worked with a super guy that was on a
contract. He was a lofty Physicist and had gotten the contract to
build a force gauge that would measure the real tension on the bottom
hook on a helicopter.

Cannons and pallets of sheet metal were being lifted all of the time
and from time to time, a copter would drop under the load.

It wasn't a simple push/pull issue - twisting and rocking caused such
effects that they were seen as much of the problem.

Strain gauges were used in a multi-axis link measuring the load.
It was for the most part 4 axis - x,y.z,Theta. Rocking was a combination.

The unit, a digital scale is used to measure what truck tires press down
= and like tasks.

Force cell or the like.

How would you add it ? complex.

One might have something on the forks - pressing backwards or bending.
But the cylinder is the best spot - maybe a cell with two eyes - one for
each end and inserts between the cylinder.

See if the forklift company has one on their website.

Martin

On 11/3/2011 9:04 PM, Ignoramus8802 wrote:
I am thinking, that when the forklift holds a weight on the forks, the
pressure in the main lift cylinder should be a linear function of
weight:

P = A + B * W

Does anyone make a product or some such that I can hook into the
hydraulic line somehow, that would tell me the pressure and the weight
of the item being lifted?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 21:04:56 -0500, the renowned Ignoramus8802
wrote:

I am thinking, that when the forklift holds a weight on the forks, the
pressure in the main lift cylinder should be a linear function of
weight:

P = A + B * W

Does anyone make a product or some such that I can hook into the
hydraulic line somehow, that would tell me the pressure and the weight
of the item being lifted?

WWW.SKIDWEIGH.COM

There may be others.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 3, 9:04*pm, Ignoramus8802
wrote:
I am thinking, that when the forklift holds a weight on the forks, the
pressure in the main lift cylinder should be a linear function of
weight:

P = A + B * W

Does anyone make a product or some such that I can hook into the
hydraulic line somehow, that would tell me the pressure and the weight
of the item being lifted?

An example...

http://www.sherline.com/lm2.htm

These gauges hold their value in the used market.

Anyone know where to buy cheap used ones of different makes?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-04, Steve B wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ignoramus8802 wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys.Those things seem to be expensive.

I am thinking about something simple, such as installing a pressure
gauge on the hydraulic line that lifts the main ram, mounting it where
it is convenient to see. I would then attach a little card with a
table of how pressures match weights, next to the gauge.

If I want to be fancy, I can install an electronic gauge.

That should work pretty easily, no?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 3, 11:58*pm, Ignoramus8802
On 2011-11-04, Steve B wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ignoramus8802 wrote:
[...]

i- Hide quoted text -

Try attaching a gauge to this and calibrating it....

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...ram-97207.html

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 23:58:38 -0500, Ignoramus8802
wrote:

Thanks guys.Those things seem to be expensive.

I am thinking about something simple, such as installing a pressure
gauge on the hydraulic line that lifts the main ram, mounting it where
it is convenient to see. I would then attach a little card with a
table of how pressures match weights, next to the gauge.

If I want to be fancy, I can install an electronic gauge.

That should work pretty easily, no?

Or get the empirical data/info, then use a CAD program to make/print a
new card to suit and glue it in the guage. I've done that for small
diamter steam gauges.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks guys.Those things seem to be expensive.

I am thinking about something simple, such as installing a pressure
gauge on the hydraulic line that lifts the main ram, mounting it where
it is convenient to see. I would then attach a little card with a
table of how pressures match weights, next to the gauge.

If I want to be fancy, I can install an electronic gauge.

That should work pretty easily, no?

Or get the empirical data/info, then use a CAD program to make/print a
new card to suit and glue it in the guage. I've done that for small
diamter steam gauges.

Yes, something like that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks guys.Those things seem to be expensive.

I am thinking about something simple, such as installing a pressure
gauge on the hydraulic line that lifts the main ram, mounting it where
it is convenient to see. I would then attach a little card with a
table of how pressures match weights, next to the gauge.

If I want to be fancy, I can install an electronic gauge.

That should work pretty easily, no?

Or get the empirical data/info, then use a CAD program to make/print a
new card to suit and glue it in the guage. I've done that for small
diamter steam gauges.

Yes, something like that.

Iggy, if this works, let me know. I have plenty of hydraulic pressure
guages and they would be easy to install.

I'm guessing this is a great theory, but might only give an inaccurate
indication in practice. I suppose if +/- 200 lbs. is OK it would be
good. Just my guess.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-04, Steve B wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ignoramus8802 wrote:
[...]

I am not sure how those hydraulic systems work, but a regular pressure gauge
in a line that goes to the tines after the gate should show an increase in
pressure with a load in place. That could be calibrated, even tared with an
adjustable zeroable dial, and with some test loads of known weight, a
somewhat accurate calibration could be accomplished. If that could be done,
you could do it very inexpensively. Of course, it would not be "legal and
usable for trade", but it might give you results that were close enough for
what you're doing. Depends on the degree of accuracy you need, and if you
are going to use it to weigh important things that HAVE to be right, not
just close.

ebay? craigslist? newsgroup? A guy like you should be able to pick up a
used one inexpensively.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This is totally fine, yes. 15% accuracy is totally OK. Additionally, I
think that it will be more accurate than that, as there is
comparatively little friction in the system.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-04, Steve B wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ignoramus8802 wrote:
[...]

I am mostly interested in

a) weighing my scrap metal
b) estimating shipping weight for shipments.

So, I do not need huge accuracy.

ebay? craigslist? newsgroup? A guy like you should be able to pick up a
used one inexpensively.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-04, Ignoramus8802 wrote:
I am thinking, that when the forklift holds a weight on the forks, the
pressure in the main lift cylinder should be a linear function of
weight:

P = A + B * W

Does anyone make a product or some such that I can hook into the
hydraulic line somehow, that would tell me the pressure and the weight
of the item being lifted?

There are liquid-filled (often glycerine) hydraulic pressure
gauges. You would need to know the diameter of the piston to calculate
the load from that, and of course subtract the empty load pressure from
the pressure with an actual load in place.

I think that the gauges go at least to 10,000 PSI.

Here is one (3,000 PSI) on eBay for only $9.95: # 250921080861

Here is a 10,000 PSI one: # 250796780436

Don't worry about the air bubbles in there. That is needed to
allow expansion when under pressure. (The bubble should get smaller as
the needle goes upscale.)

This one is a different design, and goes to 3,000 PSI: 280595831572

Do a search on:

Hydraulic pressure gauge

and there are a little over two pages of them.

Or -- if you want to buy *new* -- check out Enerpac as a good
maker.

I would suggest starting with the piston diameter, and
calculating the likely pressure range (multiply by two if the piston
pushes a roller chain gear up) before ordering a gauge. I suspect that
the lift does (or certainly *should*) not go to 10,000 PSI for example.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks guys.Those things seem to be expensive.

I am thinking about something simple, such as installing a pressure
gauge on the hydraulic line that lifts the main ram, mounting it where
it is convenient to see. I would then attach a little card with a
table of how pressures match weights, next to the gauge.

If I want to be fancy, I can install an electronic gauge.

That should work pretty easily, no?

Or get the empirical data/info, then use a CAD program to make/print a
new card to suit and glue it in the guage. I've done that for small
diamter steam gauges.

The proper hydraulic gauges tend to have a viscous liquid
(usually glycerine) in the gauge, which might make adding a new card
more difficult.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-05, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2011-11-04, Ignoramus8802 wrote:
[...]

Don. thanks. I believe that I do not need to do any calculations. If I
assume that P = A + B * W, then all I need to know to find A and B is
the pressure with nothing on the forks, and the pressure with, say, 2
tons on the forks. Once I know A and B, I can make a little table on a
card and put it next to the gauge.

For hydraulics, I would rather buy something new at McMaster for $40,
than something unknown on ebay for $9.95 plus $8 shipping.

Thanks, though, for confirming that it is doable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus7775" wrote in message
Don. thanks. I believe that I do not need to do any calculations. If I
assume that P = A + B * W, then all I need to know to find A and B is
the pressure with nothing on the forks, and the pressure with, say, 2
tons on the forks. Once I know A and B, I can make a little table on a
card and put it next to the gauge.

For hydraulics, I would rather buy something new at McMaster for $40,
than something unknown on ebay for $9.95 plus $8 shipping.

Thanks, though, for confirming that it is doable.

I added such a gauge to my homebrew front end loader, to set the overload
pressure relief which is somewhat temperature (viscosity) sensitive. The
glycerine dampens vibrations from the hydraulic pump so the needle isn't a
blur. If you mount the gauge in a panel or box it will be better protected
from damage and you can mark the load weights around the dial and quickly
see if the needle is nearing the max.

The gauge cost about $20 in a local hydraulic parts store.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks guys.Those things seem to be expensive.

I am thinking about something simple, such as installing a pressure
gauge on the hydraulic line that lifts the main ram, mounting it where
it is convenient to see. I would then attach a little card with a
table of how pressures match weights, next to the gauge.

If I want to be fancy, I can install an electronic gauge.

That should work pretty easily, no?

Or get the empirical data/info, then use a CAD program to make/print a
new card to suit and glue it in the guage. I've done that for small
diamter steam gauges.

The proper hydraulic gauges tend to have a viscous liquid
(usually glycerine) in the gauge, which might make adding a new card
more difficult.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Print the scale on transparent plastic overlay and stick it on the
face. Works great.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-05, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

There are liquid-filled (often glycerine) hydraulic pressure
gauges. You would need to know the diameter of the piston to calculate
the load from that, and of course subtract the empty load pressure from
the pressure with an actual load in place.

[ ... ]

I would suggest starting with the piston diameter, and
calculating the likely pressure range (multiply by two if the piston
pushes a roller chain gear up) before ordering a gauge. I suspect that
the lift does (or certainly *should*) not go to 10,000 PSI for example.

Don. thanks. I believe that I do not need to do any calculations. If I
assume that P = A + B * W, then all I need to know to find A and B is
the pressure with nothing on the forks, and the pressure with, say, 2
tons on the forks. Once I know A and B, I can make a little table on a
card and put it next to the gauge.

Yes -- that would work -- except that I was suggesting a way to
predict the top end of the scale -- do you need the 10,000 PSI one, or
is a 3,000 PSI one all you need. The closer to the range of loads you
need the more accurate your readings will be.

Does the documentation for the forklift list the maximum
hydraulic pressure allowed? Or the diameter of the piston? If only the
latter, take that, convert to square inches, and divide into the maximum
allowed load (plus perhaps an additional 500 lbs or so for the forks and
carrier) to see what size you need.

For hydraulics, I would rather buy something new at McMaster for $40,
than something unknown on ebay for $9.95 plus $8 shipping.

Have you priced the 10,000 PSI ones at McMaster Carr? Note that
the glycerin filling is to damp vibration of the needle with the pumps
pulsation.

Looking at the McMaster Carr catalog, the glyderine filled ones
range beteen $132.00 and $215.00 depending on size (2-1/2" or 4"
diameter) and where the connectionis (bottom, center back or lower
back. Ahnt it appears to e the same for pressure ranges between 30 PSI
max and 10,000 PSI max. Expensive enough so you want to calculate the
needed pressure range so you only have to buy *one*.

These are on the web based catalog page 551.

And no -- you don't want to use one designed for gas pressures
as a hydraulic gauge.

Thanks, though, for confirming that it is doable.

I've seen presses for forming something or other at work with
such a gauge mounted on it. You could also add one to a hydraulic arbor
press ('H' press) or the like. But you do need to know the maximum
pressure needed or allowed -- and a bit over that so you can tell
between right at the limit and the needle pressing hard against the stop
pin. :-)

Looks as though there are silicone oil filled ones, as well as
the glycerine ones in the McMaster Carr catalog.

Good Luck,
DoN.