Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7775 Ignoramus7775 is offline

Default Forklift weight scale/pressure gauge?

On 2011-11-04, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 03:07:25 -0500, Ignoramus8802

On 2011-11-04, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 23:58:38 -0500, Ignoramus8802
wrote:

Thanks guys.Those things seem to be expensive.

I am thinking about something simple, such as installing a pressure
gauge on the hydraulic line that lifts the main ram, mounting it where
it is convenient to see. I would then attach a little card with a
table of how pressures match weights, next to the gauge.

If I want to be fancy, I can install an electronic gauge.

That should work pretty easily, no?

Or get the empirical data/info, then use a CAD program to make/print a
new card to suit and glue it in the guage. I've done that for small
diamter steam gauges.

Yes, something like that.

Iggy, if this works, let me know. I have plenty of hydraulic pressure
guages and they would be easy to install.

I'm guessing this is a great theory, but might only give an inaccurate
indication in practice. I suppose if +/- 200 lbs. is OK it would be
good. Just my guess.

karl

This is totally fine, yes. 15% accuracy is totally OK. Additionally, I
think that it will be more accurate than that, as there is
comparatively little friction in the system.