Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My shop is finally powered up.

I've finally got the lathe and mill powered up here in Texas. First
time for the mill, although I'm not quite ready to cut metal. The
lathe is an old Delta 11", the mill a Hardinge TM.

First project is fitting a new shaft and bushings for the idler pulley
in the lathe drive. There was .020" or so wear from previous owner
inattention due to relatively inaccessible oil cup. While I was at
it, I pulled the variable speed drive pulley and shaft apart. No wear
to speak of, but you can see the oiler without standing on your head.
That was good news.

Almost done with the new shaft and bushings, should be installed in
next day or so. Next will be an oiler adapter with o-ring to fit the
Hardinge oilers and lube it up before actually cutting metal. After
that it's fab a new X-axis lead screw, old one is junk.

I added a speed pot to the lathe controls, and set up the vfd for the
mill to work through the old gear shift controls. Cool, but reverted
to a pot for the speed control. Both center-off positions are in
series and either works as expected.

Feels good to be making swarf again.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
[...]

Nice to hear you're making progress. I was going to start putting up
vertical Corten panels on the top parapet of my containers, but it was
blowing forty, so decided to start cleaning up inside. My Gawd, I found
lots of things I was looking for. Started culling for the yard sale this
weekend, too, hope the wind cooperates. Even got the Beverage Air keg
cooler working and cleaned. ebayed them up, and they're $1400 new, no used
ones. I got this one for $10 at a yard sale. Now to start some home brew.

Like you, one phase at a time. Cover parapets, deck roof, flash, caulk, run
conduit for more lights and receptacles, run a copper line all over for air,
the usual. But getting the electric in was a big milestone.

Sure is nice when things start coming together, you plug them in, and
danged, they work. Looking forward to working out there this winter inside
so I don't have to freeze, or be cramped inside the too full containers.
Even bought two barrels for a wood stove at a yard sale. Maybe I paid too
much for them, though. $3 for both. He actually wanted $5, the bandit.

Enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

I've finally got the lathe and mill powered up here in Texas.

What part of TX?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/17/2011 3:52 PM, Pete Keillor wrote:
I've finally got the lathe and mill powered up here in Texas. First
time for the mill, although I'm not quite ready to cut metal. The
lathe is an old Delta 11", the mill a Hardinge TM.
Feels good to be making swarf again.

Moving is a monstrous pain. It takes us about 6 months on the exit side
and 6 months to a year on the arrival side to get something like a sane
situation. I was hoping that this move would be our last, but the way
the economy and this looney state, we may have another one coming. I am
too old for another round of this.

BobH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:49:55 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

I've finally got the lathe and mill powered up here in Texas.

What part of TX?

Near Georgetown.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:30:29 -0700, BobH
wrote:

On 10/17/2011 3:52 PM, Pete Keillor wrote:
I've finally got the lathe and mill powered up here in Texas. First
time for the mill, although I'm not quite ready to cut metal. The
lathe is an old Delta 11", the mill a Hardinge TM.
Feels good to be making swarf again.

Moving is a monstrous pain. It takes us about 6 months on the exit side
and 6 months to a year on the arrival side to get something like a sane
situation. I was hoping that this move would be our last, but the way
the economy and this looney state, we may have another one coming. I am
too old for another round of this.

BobH

I feel your pain. Hope I die here (not soon).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

moving is always difficult, but it looks like great progress.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/17/2011 3:52 PM, Pete Keillor wrote:
I've finally got the lathe and mill powered up here in Texas. First
time for the mill, although I'm not quite ready to cut metal. The
lathe is an old Delta 11", the mill a Hardinge TM.
Feels good to be making swarf again.

Moving is a monstrous pain. It takes us about 6 months on the exit side
and 6 months to a year on the arrival side to get something like a sane
situation. I was hoping that this move would be our last, but the way
the economy and this looney state, we may have another one coming. I am
too old for another round of this.

BobH

I feel your pain. Hope I die here (not soon).

I moved, once. Found out its WAY to much work. Hope to do it like my
Grandpa. He stayed on the home farm till a ripe old age. Didn't know
what the inside of a hospital looked like and died with his boots on.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BobH wrote:

On 10/17/2011 3:52 PM, Pete Keillor wrote:
I've finally got the lathe and mill powered up here in Texas. First
time for the mill, although I'm not quite ready to cut metal. The
lathe is an old Delta 11", the mill a Hardinge TM.
Feels good to be making swarf again.

Moving is a monstrous pain. It takes us about 6 months on the exit side
and 6 months to a year on the arrival side to get something like a sane
situation. I was hoping that this move would be our last, but the way
the economy and this looney state, we may have another one coming. I am
too old for another round of this.

BobH

Wowzer, my moves, including shop only take a month or so on each end for
the most part.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/17/2011 3:52 PM, Pete Keillor wrote:
I've finally got the lathe and mill powered up here in Texas. First
time for the mill, although I'm not quite ready to cut metal. The
lathe is an old Delta 11", the mill a Hardinge TM.
Feels good to be making swarf again.

Moving is a monstrous pain. It takes us about 6 months on the exit side
and 6 months to a year on the arrival side to get something like a sane
situation. I was hoping that this move would be our last, but the way
the economy and this looney state, we may have another one coming. I am
too old for another round of this.

BobH

I feel your pain. Hope I die here (not soon).

I've got one more move planned (destination TBD), after that the next
move will be in a bag.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

I've finally got the lathe and mill powered up here in Texas.

What part of TX?

Near Georgetown.

I forget who's into what here, but you may be interested in this:

http://www.laruetactical.com/range-day-2011

I'll be there with a few friends for a de-stress day.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28676 wrote:

moving is always difficult, but it looks like great progress.

Planning and organization make all the difference. Numbered boxes with
inventory sheets (electronic and paper) of what's in every single box
makes a world of difference on the destination side, I need item X and
the inventory says it's in box Y, grab and go vs. trying to open boxes
and find a home for whatever is in them.

On my last move, when I did my inspection on the house I was buying I
sketched and measured every room and entered them into my CAD program,
so I had everything fully mapped out for when I moved about six weeks
later.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

I've finally got the lathe and mill powered up here in Texas.

What part of TX?

Near Georgetown.

I forget who's into what here, but you may be interested in this:

http://www.laruetactical.com/range-day-2011

I'll be there with a few friends for a de-stress day.

Hey, thanks. That's where I shoot. Maybe I can get middle son to go
along.

Pete Keillor