Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default My shop is finally powered up.

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
I've finally got the lathe and mill powered up here in Texas. First
time for the mill, although I'm not quite ready to cut metal. The
lathe is an old Delta 11", the mill a Hardinge TM.

First project is fitting a new shaft and bushings for the idler pulley
in the lathe drive. There was .020" or so wear from previous owner
inattention due to relatively inaccessible oil cup. While I was at
it, I pulled the variable speed drive pulley and shaft apart. No wear
to speak of, but you can see the oiler without standing on your head.
That was good news.

Almost done with the new shaft and bushings, should be installed in
next day or so. Next will be an oiler adapter with o-ring to fit the
Hardinge oilers and lube it up before actually cutting metal. After
that it's fab a new X-axis lead screw, old one is junk.

I added a speed pot to the lathe controls, and set up the vfd for the
mill to work through the old gear shift controls. Cool, but reverted
to a pot for the speed control. Both center-off positions are in
series and either works as expected.

Feels good to be making swarf again.

Pete Keillor

Nice to hear you're making progress. I was going to start putting up
vertical Corten panels on the top parapet of my containers, but it was
blowing forty, so decided to start cleaning up inside. My Gawd, I found
lots of things I was looking for. Started culling for the yard sale this
weekend, too, hope the wind cooperates. Even got the Beverage Air keg
cooler working and cleaned. ebayed them up, and they're $1400 new, no used
ones. I got this one for $10 at a yard sale. Now to start some home brew.

Like you, one phase at a time. Cover parapets, deck roof, flash, caulk, run
conduit for more lights and receptacles, run a copper line all over for air,
the usual. But getting the electric in was a big milestone.

Sure is nice when things start coming together, you plug them in, and
danged, they work. Looking forward to working out there this winter inside
so I don't have to freeze, or be cramped inside the too full containers.
Even bought two barrels for a wood stove at a yard sale. Maybe I paid too
much for them, though. $3 for both. He actually wanted $5, the bandit.

Enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Steve