Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stuck setscrew update..

A couple of days ago a guy from the local sawmill
stopped in for advice on how to remove a stuck
setscrew in a log de-barker head. It was about
3/4 below flush, 3/8 thread. I gave him a 3/16
drill welded to an extension and told him to turn
it
as slow as possible with heavy pressure. The hex
was stripped out bad. The bits he had would not
touch it. He came by today and said he got it out
and didn't break the drill but he used a hammer
drill to turn it! The drill went through the screw
with
no arguing at all! He was a happy camper.. ;)}
Thought you guys would like to hear this.... I
never
thought of using a hammer drill for this....
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
A couple of days ago a guy from the local sawmill
stopped in for advice on how to remove a stuck
setscrew in a log de-barker head. It was about
3/4 below flush, 3/8 thread. I gave him a 3/16
drill welded to an extension and told him to turn it
as slow as possible with heavy pressure. The hex
was stripped out bad. The bits he had would not
touch it. He came by today and said he got it out
and didn't break the drill but he used a hammer
drill to turn it! The drill went through the screw with
no arguing at all! He was a happy camper.. ;)}
Thought you guys would like to hear this.... I never
thought of using a hammer drill for this....
phil k.

Did you use a left hand twist bit? I would have guessed that you might use
an impact driver, drill a pilot hole, then weld an ez out to the socket on
the impact driver, and maybe that would do it.

Anyway, was it it the percussion that did the trick?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in
message

"Phil Kangas" wrote in
message ...
[...]

The drill bit was right hand twist, a good one but
a bit on the short
side of normal as the web was thicker and the
point was split.
Apparently the percussion effect was the trick!
Had I seen the
guy pick up the hammer drill I would have been
shocked! So
it's true, you learn something new every day, eih?
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've been able to remove rusted bolts or nuts with impact
wrench. I'd not have thought of using a hammer drill for a
stuck setscrew. Great idea, thank you. Oh, uh, er, thank
your friend who had the idea.

You learn something new every day, if you're paying
attention and humble enough to be teachable.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

cd stuck Stumpy Electronics Repair 4 April 10th 07 03:39 AM
Captain's Bed Update, Web page update Mark & Juanita Woodworking 3 July 3rd 06 04:57 PM
Stuck SDS Bit Steve Lowe UK diy 1 January 23rd 05 04:57 PM
Stuck CD Dan Dunphy Electronics Repair 2 April 6th 04 03:38 AM
UPDATE on Stuck Chuck Backplate! Steve Metalworking 0 October 9th 03 05:42 AM