Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Stuck setscrew update..

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
A couple of days ago a guy from the local sawmill
stopped in for advice on how to remove a stuck
setscrew in a log de-barker head. It was about
3/4 below flush, 3/8 thread. I gave him a 3/16
drill welded to an extension and told him to turn it
as slow as possible with heavy pressure. The hex
was stripped out bad. The bits he had would not
touch it. He came by today and said he got it out
and didn't break the drill but he used a hammer
drill to turn it! The drill went through the screw with
no arguing at all! He was a happy camper.. ;)}
Thought you guys would like to hear this.... I never
thought of using a hammer drill for this....
phil k.

Did you use a left hand twist bit? I would have guessed that you might use
an impact driver, drill a pilot hole, then weld an ez out to the socket on
the impact driver, and maybe that would do it.

Anyway, was it it the percussion that did the trick?

Steve