Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slicing a big (12.5" diameter) "rod" of metal

Spehro Pefhany fired this volley in
:

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

Buy it already cut!

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 13:53:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Spehro Pefhany fired this volley in
:

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

Buy it already cut!

LLoyd

No can do. Anyway, our thickness needs might change over the years it
takes to go through the amount we have to buy each time, so slicing
off a chunk to send out for machining is what I aim to do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany fired this volley in
:

No can do. Anyway, our thickness needs might change over the years it
takes to go through the amount we have to buy each time, so slicing
off a chunk to send out for machining is what I aim to do.

Not for nothin', but it might be cheaper to send AND ship back the whole
piece to a shop that can handle it.

That's a big lump o'metal. If the shop is in a 50 mile radius of you, it
would probably be cheaper to do it that way.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

A few years ago (20?) we had a pneumatically stroked ut-off saw that could
do that with an abrasive disk... Maybe look for a similar machine?

Otherwise, that band saw is probably the best bet other than hiring someone
else to do it.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

14" abrasive saw and some rollers? Would be best if you could rig a slow
power feed to counter-rotate the cylinder, and a counterweighted slide
for the saw to ride down into the work under light pressure.

String (aka wire) saw (homebrew, unless you have one.) Good choice for
minimum waste in the kerf. Plus, it's a project, and may have more
general uses than the above minor project. Might still benefit from the
rollers and counter-rotation.

Chuck it in a 16"-24" lathe and part it off?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 15:23:52 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

14" abrasive saw and some rollers? Would be best if you could rig a slow
power feed to counter-rotate the cylinder, and a counterweighted slide
for the saw to ride down into the work under light pressure.

That could work. A bit messy.

String (aka wire) saw (homebrew, unless you have one.) Good choice for
minimum waste in the kerf. Plus, it's a project, and may have more
general uses than the above minor project. Might still benefit from the
rollers and counter-rotation.

Interesting thought.

Are the hacksaw machines still available?

Chuck it in a 16"-24" lathe and part it off?

That would be exciting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

14" abrasive saw and some rollers? Would be best if you could rig a slow
power feed to counter-rotate the cylinder, and a counterweighted slide
for the saw to ride down into the work under light pressure.

String (aka wire) saw (homebrew, unless you have one.) Good choice for
minimum waste in the kerf. Plus, it's a project, and may have more
general uses than the above minor project. Might still benefit from the
rollers and counter-rotation.

Chuck it in a 16"-24" lathe and part it off?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2614599136.html
(no connection w/ seller)
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:11:33 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Spehro Pefhany fired this volley in
:

No can do. Anyway, our thickness needs might change over the years it
takes to go through the amount we have to buy each time, so slicing
off a chunk to send out for machining is what I aim to do.

Not for nothin', but it might be cheaper to send AND ship back the whole
piece to a shop that can handle it.

That's a big lump o'metal. If the shop is in a 50 mile radius of you, it
would probably be cheaper to do it that way.

LLoyd

I agree. Most of my clients use cutting shops for this sort of thing.

Sometimes..you simply have to send it out.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 13:35:43 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:11:33 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Spehro Pefhany fired this volley in
m:

No can do. Anyway, our thickness needs might change over the years it
takes to go through the amount we have to buy each time, so slicing
off a chunk to send out for machining is what I aim to do.

Not for nothin', but it might be cheaper to send AND ship back the whole
piece to a shop that can handle it.

That's a big lump o'metal. If the shop is in a 50 mile radius of you, it
would probably be cheaper to do it that way.

LLoyd

I agree. Most of my clients use cutting shops for this sort of thing.

Sometimes..you simply have to send it out.

Gunner

That might be the best way to do it at the end of the day. Make a wood
cradle for the thing, strap it in and take it to a shop that has the
tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 13:53:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Spehro Pefhany fired this volley in
:

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

Buy it already cut!

Why doesn't he just jig up his Force Blade knife and power it up to
make the cuts in a few seconds each?

(Can you tell I just finished David Weber's _In Fury Born_? Wow, what
an exciting book!)

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 4, 4:10*pm, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:
On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 15:23:52 -0400, Ecnerwal

wrote:
In article ,
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

[...]

14" *cold saw* as opposed to an abrasive cutoff saw. Just need to rig
a way to hold the arm up in the air, and to rotate the workpiece.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

not sure how you're going to do it, but the steel mill here cuts stuff
like that all the time in a gigantic HEM saw. The blade moves really slow
and it appears to take ages to make a cut.

It's much larger than these

http://www.hemsaw.com/bandsaw/wideflangebandsaw.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

See if your friendly neighborhood hydraulic cylinder rebuilder will cut it
for you.

My little 4x6 bandsaw can cut off 8" diameter by 3" long by rigging up a
work support table on the blade side. I've shortened a W10 x 30 steel beam
with it.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Take it to a fab shop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Chainsaw with carbide chain?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote
in message

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine
bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter
cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it
takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon.
Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 08:30:15 -0400, the renowned "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Chainsaw with carbide chain?

They make something like that for cutting pipe- it straps around the
pipe. Looks brutal.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

Make your saw any size you want!

http://www.mooseforge.com/library/powerhacksaw.pdf
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK32?PARTPG=INSRAR2

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Make your saw any size you want!

http://www.mooseforge.com/library/powerhacksaw.pdf

You don't want to make that one - it doesn't lift on the back stroke.
I.e., it drags on the teeth.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 12:18*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Winston wrote:
Make your saw any size you want!

http://www.mooseforge.com/library/powerhacksaw.pdf

You don't want to make that one - it doesn't lift on the back stroke.
I.e., it drags on the teeth.

Bob

I made one of these about twenty years ago. It would have been nice
to have it lift on the backstroke, but it worked.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Winston wrote:
Make your saw any size you want!

http://www.mooseforge.com/library/powerhacksaw.pdf

You don't want to make that one - it doesn't lift on the back stroke.
I.e., it drags on the teeth.

So 'dragging' isn't design requirement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BvhZxfMPDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh8QcXLSZGg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcgm5iucqK4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apb6SwhGrIg

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:18 pm, Bob wrote:
Winston wrote:
Make your saw any size you want!

http://www.mooseforge.com/library/powerhacksaw.pdf

You don't want to make that one - it doesn't lift on the back stroke.
I.e., it drags on the teeth.

Bob

I made one of these about twenty years ago. It would have been nice
to have it lift on the backstroke, but it worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgD-THW9PJs

This Marvel is quite a mechanical puzzle,
but it does appear to lift the blade
on the back stroke.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 2:10*pm, Winston wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgD-THW9PJs

This Marvel is quite a mechanical puzzle,
but it does appear to lift the blade
on the back stroke.

--Winston

Now I have a horizontal bandsaw but would have to jury rig
something for things bigger than 6 by 10.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Oct 5, 2:10 pm, wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgD-THW9PJs

This Marvel is quite a mechanical puzzle,
but it does appear to lift the blade
on the back stroke.

--Winston

Now I have a horizontal bandsaw but would have to jury rig
something for things bigger than 6 by 10.

Upthread was a discussion of rotating the workpiece
on - axis and cutting in radially a few times.
I think that would leave too rough a surface, though.

I *like* this $aw, though!
http://www.rollinsaw.com/band_saws/H...l_band_saw.htm

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
So 'dragging' isn't design requirement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BvhZxfMPDU

Dragging does seem to be a common "feature". But if I were buying or
building one, I'd want "lift". In 7th grade I had metal shop & when we
were taught to use a manual hacksaw, it was "lift on the back stroke".
I'd say it's just as important, if not more so, for a power hacksaw.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Winston wrote:
So 'dragging' isn't design requirement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BvhZxfMPDU

Dragging does seem to be a common "feature". But if I were buying or
building one, I'd want "lift". In 7th grade I had metal shop & when we
were taught to use a manual hacksaw, it was "lift on the back stroke".
I'd say it's just as important, if not more so, for a power hacksaw.

I agree.

It would be cool to create the lift using a simple
mechanism, though,

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:54:32 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

If you could apply the wire EDM principle you could probably cut it
using wire and electricity. Not sure how difficult or expensive it
would be to rig up a custom cutting set up. EDM makes nice cuts to
near net though.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 12:18:03 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Winston wrote:
Make your saw any size you want!

http://www.mooseforge.com/library/powerhacksaw.pdf

You don't want to make that one - it doesn't lift on the back stroke.
I.e., it drags on the teeth.

Bob

mmmm.... doesn't it depend on how often the saw is used? Drag on the
teeth will dull the blade, yes. But blades aren't horribly expensive,
and the application is once in a blue moon. Wholesale Tool has a 21"
blade, 4tpi for $6. Others are up to $20. If each cut ruins two
blades, that's 12-40 bucks for the cut. Which is only going to happen
once in a while.

So I'd consider building that power hacksaw a bit oversize. Okay, a
lot oversize. :-)
--
Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry wrote:

(...)

mmmm.... doesn't it depend on how often the saw is used? Drag on the
teeth will dull the blade, yes. But blades aren't horribly expensive,
and the application is once in a blue moon. Wholesale Tool has a 21"
blade, 4tpi for $6. Others are up to $20. If each cut ruins two
blades, that's 12-40 bucks for the cut. Which is only going to happen
once in a while.

Plus, power hacksaws that lift the blade on the
backstroke are in the minority. Many didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BvhZxfMPDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh8QcXLSZGg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcgm5iucqK4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apb6SwhGrIg

(...)

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:54:32 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

Just for closure- first batch we're getting cut off at a supplier, who
also happens to have a ratty but compact guilliotine-style (two post)
bandsaw for sale that can do it in two cuts. Asking price for the saw
is $2K.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just for closure- first batch we're getting cut off at a supplier, who
also happens to have a ratty but compact guilliotine-style (two post)
bandsaw for sale that can do it in two cuts. Asking price for the saw
is $2K.

Did they use that particular saw to cut off your
first batch, or a saw that made the cuts in one
pass each?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just for closure- first batch we're getting cut off at a supplier, who
also happens to have a ratty but compact guilliotine-style (two post)
bandsaw for sale that can do it in two cuts. Asking price for the saw
is $2K.

Did they use that particular saw to cut off your
first batch, or a saw that made the cuts in one
pass each?

--Winston

He's got another bigger saw that can cut in one go, but he's not
selling that one (and only wants to sell this one to make room for
something else). A bit of a machinery hoarder this guy. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
(...)
He's got another bigger saw that can cut in one go, but he's not
selling that one (and only wants to sell this one to make room for
something else). A bit of a machinery hoarder this guy. ;-)

I wouldn't know anything about that.

The price is right but I'm concerned about the amount of
'cleanup' necessary to make the ends of your discs parallel.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston fired this volley in news:j6lau705t6
@news3.newsguy.com:

The price is right but I'm concerned about the amount of
'cleanup' necessary to make the ends of your discs parallel.

That's just a "little" lathe work... G

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The incomparable Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in news:j6lau705t6
@news3.newsguy.com:

The price is right but I'm concerned about the amount of
'cleanup' necessary to make the ends of your discs parallel.

That's just a "little" lathe work...G

It's a 'perspective' thing.

Each workpiece weighs about 11.6 x as much as
my lathe, so I have a different point of view.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston fired this volley in news:j6ld2v02302
@news7.newsguy.com:

Each workpiece weighs about 11.6 x as much as
my lathe, so I have a different point of view.

You've got - what? - a Unimat? Each individual slice would fit fine on my
lathe, and it's not a big one. The whole rod, no...

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in news:j6ld2v02302
@news7.newsguy.com:

Each workpiece weighs about 11.6 x as much as
my lathe, so I have a different point of view.

You've got - what? - a Unimat?

Sherline!

Each individual slice would fit fine on my
lathe, and it's not a big one. The whole rod, no...

I am in awe. A 278 lb. workpiece is a *big*
workpiece. I haven't seen anything like that
since my days moonlighting for an outfit that
was making a scanning electron microscope.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-06, Winston wrote:
The incomparable Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in news:j6lau705t6
@news3.newsguy.com:

The price is right but I'm concerned about the amount of
'cleanup' necessary to make the ends of your discs parallel.

That's just a "little" lathe work...G

It's a 'perspective' thing.

Each workpiece weighs about 11.6 x as much as
my lathe, so I have a different point of view.

I thought that the weight specified way back thread was the
overall weight of the raw stock prior to cutting into the slices.

Looks like about 29.4 lbs per inch of length, or 139 lbs per 4"
slice -- so that may have indeed been the weight of the workpiece.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7 Oct 2011 03:41:50 GMT, the renowned "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-10-06, Winston wrote:
The incomparable Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in news:j6lau705t6
@news3.newsguy.com:

The price is right but I'm concerned about the amount of
'cleanup' necessary to make the ends of your discs parallel.

That's just a "little" lathe work...G

It's a 'perspective' thing.

Each workpiece weighs about 11.6 x as much as
my lathe, so I have a different point of view.

I thought that the weight specified way back thread was the
overall weight of the raw stock prior to cutting into the slices.

Looks like about 29.4 lbs per inch of length, or 139 lbs per 4"
slice -- so that may have indeed been the weight of the workpiece.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Right, about 135 lbs per 4", which is only about 4x as much as a
Sherline weighs. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just for closure- first batch we're getting cut off at a supplier, who
also happens to have a ratty but compact guilliotine-style (two post)
bandsaw for sale that can do it in two cuts. Asking price for the saw
is $2K.

Hey Speff,

Auction today had 9" Wells same design as that. It went for $200. Not
in bad shape. It would certainly "hold" a 12" diameter if the vise
jaws were exteded up, and would work if you cut through the 9" or at
least 1/2 way through and them rotated to complete the cut.

Brian Lawson