Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Slicing a big (12.5" diameter) "rod" of metal

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 13:53:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Spehro Pefhany fired this volley in
:

Other than buying a huge $8-10K horizontal or guillotine bandsaw, can
you guys think of any way of slicing a 12.5" diameter cylinder of
metal stock into 2-4" thick disks? I don't really care if it takes all
day to do it. This would get used once in a blue moon. Weight of the
piece is probably more than 700lb.

Buy it already cut!

LLoyd

No can do. Anyway, our thickness needs might change over the years it
takes to go through the amount we have to buy each time, so slicing
off a chunk to send out for machining is what I aim to do.