Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any Suggestions of How to Filter RCM??

This used to be such a great newsgroup. Returning after a few years, I see mostly politics and nonsense. Other than blocking the original posters (who change their email address often), anyone know how to filter out the goofy stuff?

The last statistics report is disgraceful....

Place Subject Msgs Bytes
1. Why wait, just invoke the 14th Amendment 696 2685144
2. The Tea Party "Hidden" Tax that YOU and YOUR Family are a 260 671378
3. OT - Will the Red States refuse to take Obama's money? 170 499195
4. Carson City IHOP shooter..another crazy ass conservative 146 341331
5. OT - Would 911 have happened if Al Gore had been Presiden 141 313530
OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene? 141 246132
7. OT - Notice how Obama cut his vacation short for Irene wh 132 357760
8. Super-racist obama creates new agency - Office of Diversi 118 360457
Carson City IHOP shooter was drugged up Mexican mental ca 118 320127
10. Gun crimes drop at Virginia bars and restaurants 117 348515
11. LOL..Tea Party less popular than atheists AND Muslims AND 116 240021
12. OT - Will George Bush Campaign for the Republican Candida 98 248178
13. Special purpose low-power air conditioning - metal involv 96 120296
14. Airman quits job, says Obama's birth certificate is fake 93 294969
15. Carson City IHOP shooter..another crazy ass conservative 88 161276

A total of 786 subjects were identified.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Question for RCM Folks wrote:
This used to be such a great newsgroup. Returning after a few years,
I see mostly politics and nonsense. Other than blocking the original
posters (who change their email address often), anyone know how to
filter out the goofy stuff?

The last statistics report is disgraceful....

I use Outhouse Express , and I make generous use of the "block sender"
button . Easy and effective . Not only for the trolls , but also for those
who respond too often ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Question for RCM Folks" wrote in message
m...
This used to be such a great newsgroup. Returning after a few years, I see
mostly politics and nonsense. Other than blocking the original posters (who
change their email address often), anyone know how to filter out the goofy
stuff?

Sience you use outlook

Under tool menu go to message rulles click on news, From their you can
filter any word or sentance on the subject liine or the from line.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Question for RCM Folks" wrote:

This used to be such a great newsgroup. Returning after a few years, I see
mostly politics and nonsense. Other than blocking the original posters (who
change their email address often), anyone know how to filter out the goofy
stuff?

Killfile the senders anyway. Some nymshift, some stay put and haven't
written a single post on metalworking ever, yet persist in crossposting
here. Others throw in an occasional metalworking post, but spew too much
crap to stay out of the killfile, as their overall contribution is
negative.

Pick words to killfile on. Obama, bush, cheney, palin, perry, jesus,
amendment, bible, tea, conservative, liberal, tax - these are not
metalworking. As new ones show up, add them.

The ones that self-identify as OffTopic -
Kill "starts with" OT and OT

The ones that are flaming crossposts, kill any post with any of the
irrelevant groups in the newsgroups line (some newsreaders you can also
kill by number of groups crossposted to - more than 2 or 3 is nearly
always junk.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I delete everything that is cross posted to any other newsgroup,
except alt.home.repair.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking,
Question for RCM Folks wrote:
This used to be such a great newsgroup. Returning after a few years, I
see mostly politics and nonsense. Other than blocking the original
posters (who change their email address often), anyone know how to
filter out the goofy stuff?

I almost never block on sender. Usually too unreliable.

The last statistics report is disgraceful....

Place Subject Msgs Bytes
1. Why wait, just invoke the 14th Amendment 696 2685144

Rule I: Kill anything with "14th Amendment" in the subject.

Maybe anything with "Amendment". I can see some metal content in
"2nd Amendment" stuff, but maybe not enough.

2. The Tea Party "Hidden" Tax that YOU and YOUR Family are a 260 671378

Rule II: Kill anything with "Tea Party" in the subject.

3. OT - Will the Red States refuse to take Obama's money? 170 499195

Rule III: Kill anything with a subject that starts "OT" or " OT".
Rule IV: Kill anything with "Red State" or "Blue State" in the subject.
Rule V: Kill anything with "Obama" in the subject.

4. Carson City IHOP shooter..another crazy ass conservative 146 341331

Rule VI: Kill anything with "IHOP" in the subject.

5. OT - Would 911 have happened if Al Gore had been Presiden 141 313530

Rule III: Kill anything with a subject that starts "OT" or " OT".
Rule IV: Kill anything with "president" in the subject.
Rule VII: Kill anything with "Al Gore" in the subject.

OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene? 141 246132

Rule III: Kill anything with a subject that starts "OT" or " OT".

7. OT - Notice how Obama cut his vacation short for Irene wh 132 357760

Rule III: Kill anything with a subject that starts "OT" or " OT".
Rule V: Kill anything with "Obama" in the subject.

8. Super-racist obama creates new agency - Office of Diversi 118 360457

Rule V: Kill anything with "Obama" in the subject.

Carson City IHOP shooter was drugged up Mexican mental ca 118 320127

Rule VI: Kill anything with "IHOP" in the subject.

10. Gun crimes drop at Virginia bars and restaurants 117 348515

Rule VIII: Kill anything with "gun crime" in the subject.

11. LOL..Tea Party less popular than atheists AND Muslims AND 116 240021

Rule II: Kill anything with "Tea Party" in the subject.

12. OT - Will George Bush Campaign for the Republican Candida 98 248178

Rule IX: Kill anything with "George Bush" in the subject.

13. Special purpose low-power air conditioning - metal involv 96 120296

Metal content.

14. Airman quits job, says Obama's birth certificate is fake 93 294969

Rule V: Kill anything with "Obama" in the subject.
Rule X: Kill anything with "birth certificate" in the subject.

15. Carson City IHOP shooter..another crazy ass conservative 88 161276

Rule VI: Kill anything with "IHOP" in the subject.

There, ten rules to cover those and many other off-topic posts.

My own rules also include eight mo

Kill anything with "Sarah Palin" in the subject.
Kill anything with "Ron Paul" in the subject.
Kill anything with "Social Security" in the subject.
Kill anything with "Traffic Stop" in the subject.
Kill anything with "holocaust" in the subject.
Kill anything with "neocon" in the subject.
Kill anything with "Whitehouse" in the subject.
Kill anything with "75th Rangers" in the subject.

Elijah
------
use trn, so does not expect his KILL file to be directly useful to most
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-30, Question for RCM Folks wrote:

This used to be such a great newsgroup. Returning after a few years,
I see mostly politics and nonsense. Other than blocking the original
posters (who change their email address often), anyone know how to
filter out the goofy stuff?

The last statistics report is disgraceful....

Agreed.

Place Subject Msgs Bytes

[ ... report snipped ... ]

FWIW -- I never saw *any* of these.

Typically, I will see 25% to 12% of the full count of articles
-- or less. Sometimes, there will be 1000+ showing when I enter, and on
the order of 100 or so when the filtering has done its thing.

Yes -- filtering is the answer.

But it probably requires a better newsreader than Outlook
Express (which your headers say you are using).

You need a newsreader which allows you to filter on various
things in the headers. Since I don't use Windows,

But you have to maintain the filters for best results.

Start off by filtering on the number of newsgroups in the
"Newsgroups: " header (by counting commas). I figure that anything over
three newsgroups should be totally skipped, and three or two should be
viewed with caution.

Add absolute discard for any cross-posted to certain newsgroups
in the "Newsgroups: " header. (you can build your own list by observing
the headers of the offending articles).

Add absolute discard for any article which mentions *any*
politician's name in the "Subject: header.

Same for certain mentions of other subjects. (Build your own
list for what offends you.

Observe who posted the offensive articles -- especially those
who originated it (no " " at the beginning of the "Subject: "
header), and start adding names to the "From: " lines -- sometimes
partial names for those who change their name from time to time.

After a while, you will simply need to add occasional "Subject:
" header contents to the filtering. My newsreader (slrn -- a unix only
newsreader, so you are out of luck with that one unless you are willing
to switch to linux or some other unix flavor for newsreading) allows
putting an "expire" time on blocks, either in number of days, or an
absoluted date, so I typically put between 30 days and 360 days
depending on how soon I expect something to die down -- or leave it up
forever.

I also find that the spamers who come in to sell shoes or
T-shirts, or other things (or services) are typically originating from
countries which are not contributing any valid discussion, so I also
block on the contents of the "NNTP-Posting-Host: " header, with
wildcarding to block a range of IP addresses.

So -- yes it can be done -- and it will require learning about
whatever newsreader you intend to use, as well as how to look up IP
addresses to see where they are from.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-01, Eli the Bearded wrote:
In rec.crafts.metalworking,
Question for RCM Folks wrote:
This used to be such a great newsgroup. Returning after a few years, I
see mostly politics and nonsense. Other than blocking the original
posters (who change their email address often), anyone know how to
filter out the goofy stuff?

I almost never block on sender. Usually too unreliable.

The last statistics report is disgraceful....

Rule I: Kill anything with "14th Amendment" in the subject.

Maybe anything with "Amendment". I can see some metal content in
"2nd Amendment" stuff, but maybe not enough.

Rule II: Kill anything with "Tea Party" in the subject.
Rule III: Kill anything with a subject that starts "OT" or " OT".

Hmm ... duplicate rule number.
Rule IV: Kill anything with "Red State" or "Blue State" in the subject.
Rule IV: Kill anything with "president" in the subject.

Rule V: Kill anything with "Obama" in the subject.
Rule VI: Kill anything with "IHOP" in the subject.
Rule VII: Kill anything with "Al Gore" in the subject.

8. Super-racist obama creates new agency - Office of Diversi 118 360457

Rule V: Kill anything with "Obama" in the subject.

How about "racist" in the subject?

Rule VIII: Kill anything with "gun crime" in the subject.
Rule IX: Kill anything with "George Bush" in the subject.
Rule X: Kill anything with "birth certificate" in the subject.

[ ... ]

There, ten rules to cover those and many other off-topic posts.

My own rules also include eight mo

Kill anything with "Sarah Palin" in the subject.
Kill anything with "Ron Paul" in the subject.
Kill anything with "Social Security" in the subject.
Kill anything with "Traffic Stop" in the subject.
Kill anything with "holocaust" in the subject.
Kill anything with "neocon" in the subject.
Kill anything with "Whitehouse" in the subject.
Kill anything with "75th Rangers" in the subject.

How about adding "*winger" (or if necessary "Right-winger" and
"Left-winger" to the list?

Elijah
------
use trn, so does not expect his KILL file to be directly useful to most

Why I did not post my slrn scorefile. Besides -- it is rather
large.

Hmm ... has anyone ported trn to Windows? (Perhaps on top of
Cygwin.)

O.K. A quick Google shows that there is another (unrelated)
program for Windows called TRN. :-(

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:43:33 -0500, Snag wrote:

Question for RCM Folks wrote:
This used to be such a great newsgroup. Returning after a few years, I
see mostly politics and nonsense. Other than blocking the original
posters (who change their email address often), anyone know how to
filter out the goofy stuff?

The last statistics report is disgraceful....

I use Outhouse Express , and I make generous use of the "block sender"
button . Easy and effective . Not only for the trolls , but also for
those who respond too often ...

Like -- me, unfortunately. But I'm trying to cut back!

If you block posts that include any group with the word "political" or
"survival" in their names, and if you block posts that are crossposted to
more than three groups, then you'll cut things down by 25 to 50%. Then
start in on the induhviduals that are left until things get better enough
to be bearable.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Switch to a shell browser and use killfiles.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/30/2011 8:55 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:
In rec.crafts.metalworking,
Question for RCM wrote:
This used to be such a great newsgroup. Returning after a few years, I
see mostly politics and nonsense. Other than blocking the original
posters (who change their email address often), anyone know how to
filter out the goofy stuff?

I almost never block on sender. Usually too unreliable.

That's just silly. Unreliable? You've got to be kidding. Not for this group.

100% of posts by "Hawke" and "Too_Many_Tools" are off-topic.
So are the vast majority of posts by Ed Huntress and Gunner Asch.

Blocking those four senders eliminates nearly all of the crap. You may
lose a little bit of relevant metal content by blocking Ed and Gunner,
but if it's worthwhile, somebody else will quote it and you'll see it then.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Question for RCM wrote:
This used to be such a great newsgroup. Returning after a few years, I
see mostly politics and nonsense. Other than blocking the original
posters (who change their email address often), anyone know how to
filter out the goofy stuff?

I almost never block on sender. Usually too unreliable.

That's just silly. Unreliable? You've got to be kidding. Not for this group.

100% of posts by "Hawke" and "Too_Many_Tools" are off-topic.
So are the vast majority of posts by Ed Huntress and Gunner Asch.

Blocking those four senders eliminates nearly all of the crap. You may
lose a little bit of relevant metal content by blocking Ed and Gunner,
but if it's worthwhile, somebody else will quote it and you'll see it then.

Instead of blocking a sender I've found that flagging messages from a sender
as "read" and "ignore/hide" not only keeps those messages from my screen
but all the replies too.
Art