Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Found a new Whatzit

I didn't plan on making this a regular thing, but -------

I Found this one at the Smith-Sales.com on-line auction desk in Baldwin,
Wi.

http://www.spaco.org/Whatisit/HammerIndexer.htm

Let me know if you have an answer, please.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:23:24 -0500, "Pete S"
wrote:

I didn't plan on making this a regular thing, but -------

I Found this one at the Smith-Sales.com on-line auction desk in Baldwin,
Wi.

http://www.spaco.org/Whatisit/HammerIndexer.htm

Let me know if you have an answer, please.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

A wisconsin impact wrench.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I didn't plan on making this a regular thing, but -------

I Found this one at the Smith-Sales.com on-line auction desk in Baldwin,
Wi.

http://www.spaco.org/Whatisit/HammerIndexer.htm

Let me know if you have an answer, please.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

A wisconsin impact wrench.

SW

It's a early beading tool to turn the ends of boiler tubes. The "hammer" is
hit with a larger hammer and the beading tool indexes around with each hit.
Thank heaven for air hammers!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 23:26:18 +1000
"Grumpy" wrote:

It's a early beading tool to turn the ends of boiler tubes. The "hammer" is
hit with a larger hammer and the beading tool indexes around with each hit.
Thank heaven for air hammers!

There is another one (maybe the same one?) pictured on this page:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47189

about 1/4 of the way down, thumbnail link to larger image. He also says
that it's a beading tool.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Can you tell us how the tool in positioned? It appears to me that the
"loose" cylinder toward the heel of the tool might have bee inserted into a
tube that was close by to help hold the whole tool in position?

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

"Grumpy" wrote in message
. au...

It's a early beading tool to turn the ends of boiler tubes. The "hammer"
is hit with a larger hammer and the beading tool indexes around with each
hit.
Thank heaven for air hammers!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's right. The "loose" one was inserted into an adjacent tube and
allowed the tool to be used "hands free". That is comforting if you have
someone with more enthusiasm than talent on the wooden end of the hammer.

"Pete S" wrote in message
.. .
Can you tell us how the tool in positioned? It appears to me that the
"loose" cylinder toward the heel of the tool might have bee inserted into
a tube that was close by to help hold the whole tool in position?

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

"Grumpy" wrote in message
. au...

It's a early beading tool to turn the ends of boiler tubes. The "hammer"
is hit with a larger hammer and the beading tool indexes around with each
hit.
Thank heaven for air hammers!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 11:33:43 +1000
"Grumpy" wrote:

That's right. The "loose" one was inserted into an adjacent tube and
allowed the tool to be used "hands free". That is comforting if you have
someone with more enthusiasm than talent on the wooden end of the hammer.

FWIW I found a patent that looks very similar to this item,
Patent No. 886,394. See:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=s7V...intsec=drawing

I only gave it a cursory look, but I think the usage is explained...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking, Leon Fisk wrote:
FWIW I found a patent that looks very similar to this item,
Patent No. 886,394. See:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=s7V...intsec=drawing

I only gave it a cursory look, but I think the usage is explained...

I can't recall reading a clearer patent. Most patents are written in
a strangely stilted, obfuscated manner, but not this one. This is how
a patent should be written. Here's a bit of the OCRed text google has,
the original image is easier for me to read ("Bang of Great Britain"?
the text says "King...") but not so cut-n-pastable.

Be it known that I, George Edward Morris, a subject of the Bang of
Great Britain, residing at Regina, in the Province of 5
Saskatchewan, Canada, have invented certain new and useful
Improvements in Beading Implements; and I do hereby declare that the
following is a full, clear, and exact description of the invention,
such as will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains
to make and use the same.

My invention relates to tube expanding and beading tools.

The object of my invention is to provide a tool which will properly
expand the end of a tube and form a bead thereon in one movement,
and which will be rotated by the operation of an impacting element.

A more specific object is to provide a pivot ally mounted supporting
plate with a rotatable head carrying a suitable tool; and, further,
to provide means on the head for normally maintaining the tool in
raised position in the path of movement of the impact ing element,
and for guiding the tool so that the tube operated on is expanded by
a blow almost at right angles to the plate to which the tube is
being attached. The advantage sought to be attained by this
construction is that more or less unskilled operators may use the
tool and produce proper work.

Elijah
------
"more or less unskilled operators may use the tool"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 22:13:54 +0000 (UTC)
Eli the Bearded wrote:

snip
I can't recall reading a clearer patent. Most patents are written in
a strangely stilted, obfuscated manner, but not this one. This is how
a patent should be written.

Seeing that you took the time to read that, you might also be interested
in another one by the same gentleman. It is very similar with a few
"improvements". Patent number 1,162,871:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=a6h...intsec=drawing

I didn't find anymore by him though...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking, Leon Fisk wrote:
Seeing that you took the time to read that, you might also be interested
in another one by the same gentleman. It is very similar with a few
"improvements". Patent number 1,162,871:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=a6h...intsec=drawing

I see he is now a citizen of the US.

Elijah
------