Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Splined shaft questions....

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 05:19:33 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Many English motorcycles have a seperate transmission that is simply
bolted to the backside of the engine and is operated via a primary drive
chain.

Ive been pulling down the engine of my 61 Indian Chief for cleaning, and
a general checkout and ran across an issue Im a bit concerned about.
After pulling the side cover and loosening the timing chain..I noticed
my clutch basket was wobbling..so took everything down and apart and
discovered that the nut holding the center of the clutch was loose.

There is some wear on the splined shaft from the transmission and the
clutch basket is wobbling on it with that loose nut. The center of the
clutch is a three lobed gizmo with a splned female center and I havent
measured anything yet to find out where the actual wear is..but based on
looks..its on both parts. It still has semi-decent splines..but they
are fairly loose.

It appears that the clutch center is the most worn part.

Whats the fix for this? New guts for both? Steel epoxy with release
agent on one half? I dont think there is more than .010 wear..but there
is wear and the basket rocks significantly.

Simply tightening the nut in the center of the clutch secures
everything..but since its a heavily loaded part..it drives the
transmission which then comes back out and drives the sprocket.

When I put the splined parts together..I get about 5-10 degrees of play
when rotating the clutch parts on the splined shaft.

Need photos or any of you English bike guys may know

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

Gunner
"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)

Get the new basket first if you can, and see how much less play you
have. If still too bad see if you can get the new shaft. If not, have
it built up and re-machined. I've seen it done with brass, but spray
welding is better - or have it "plated" if it only needs a few thou.
Not sure who does iron plating any more.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That$ not a bad idea..bu$ buck$ are a bit $hort for doing it that way.

I think Ill try the steel epoxy method first.