Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help with splined yoke

1995 Toyota Tercel, universal joint (sliding, splined yoke) between steering
column and rack/pinion gearbox.

Want to upgrade to power steering on this car. Removed existing (manual)
rack/pinion assembly and am trying to install the power steering
rack/pinion. On the power steering unit the male splined shaft is a larger
diameter than the splined shaft on the manual steering unit.

Existing splined shaft approximately (its metric) 1/2 " diameter while the
new splined shaft is approximately 9/16" diameter. Attached are two photos
of the yoke. Dealer wants $128 for the correct yoke and tells me that I
will also have to buy the steering column (slightly shorter) for a mere $
237. Donor car is already crushed and gone. The three auto dismantlers
that I visited have the wrong part (after assuring me it was for the power
steering version).

Tired of all the driving and need METAL advice.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...vanveg/002.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...vanveg/003.jpg

Note in photo 2 that the splined yoke has a clamp bolt. The bolt passes by
a reduced portion of the shaft obviating it from dropping off.

Any clever ways to attach this yoke to a slightly larger splined shaft?
My only thoughts a 1) drill out (enlarge) the yoke and pin it to the
larger shaft. 2) Remove the shaft from the gear box, turn it down on the
lathe and try to cut metric splines. 3) Weld the stuff together 4) Give
up

There must be better ideas. Is there such a thing as a "spline repair kit"
similar to thread repair inserts?

All ideas appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
[...]

Look in the Yellow Pages for a steering column company. In the Oakland, CA
area is a guy who only does columns. Rebuilds them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

I certainly wouldn't try pinning it.

Keep looking for a use steering column or check with some after market shops
for high performance items. The off road racing folks offer a lot of this
stuff. I just bought one a month ago to replace the rubber coupler on my 94
Chevy PU. About $90.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cut metric splines. 3) Weld the stuff together 4) Give
up

There must be better ideas. Is there such a thing as a "spline repair
kit" similar to thread repair inserts?

All ideas appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

be very careful - there are many things that can fail on a car and you can
work around them and not die or kill anyone else, but loss of steering is
really bad. I think I would get the right parts for this one and not take
any shortcuts.