Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NON-universal, internal door, splined key, lock - where can i get one

- I'm looking for a door lock that is opened from one side using a
splined key but I want one with an individually coded splined key ,
not a universal Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy one?

all those I've been able to find on line use the same universal key

Thanx
Tony
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tonyjeffs wrote:
- I'm looking for a door lock that is opened from one side using a
splined key but I want one with an individually coded splined key ,
not a universal Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy one?

all those I've been able to find on line use the same universal key

You could try these people
http://www.johnplanck.co.uk/productranges.asp?RID=9

They supply all our local councils. schools, uni's etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tonyjeffs" wrote in message
- I'm looking for a door lock that is opened from one side using a
splined key but I want one with an individually coded splined key ,
not a universal Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy one?

all those I've been able to find on line use the same universal key

Either Chubb or Era do a splined lock with a removable key (like a small
cylinder key)can't remember it's part no offhand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Feb, 23:15, "Scabbydug" wrote:
"tonyjeffs" wrote in message

...- I'm looking for a door lock that is opened from one side using a
splined key but *I want one with an individually coded splined key ,
not a universal *Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy one?

all those I've been able to find on line use the same universal key

Either Chubb or Era do a splined lock with a removable key (like a small
cylinder key)can't remember it's part no offhand.

Seen 'em, but all the keys are the same for any lock. I'm looking for
one with a different, individual, key.
Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tonyjeffs wrote:
- I'm looking for a door lock that is opened from one side using a
splined key but I want one with an individually coded splined key ,
not a universal Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy one?

all those I've been able to find on line use the same universal key

AFAIK those sort of keys are all universal - I could be wrong, but I
think if you want an individually coded key you'll need a different lock.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
tonyjeffs writes
- I'm looking for a door lock that is opened from one side using a
splined key but I want one with an individually coded splined key ,
not a universal Does anyone know of anywhere I can buy one?

all those I've been able to find on line use the same universal key

This might suit your needs:
http://www.londontools.co.uk/product...roductid=16974

Not as simple to fit or as cheap as the basic cylindrical ones but it
uses a cruciform key very similar in shape to the splined ones.

Dims & more pics he
http://www.zonesecurity.com/html/mortice_locks.php under more info
(pdf).
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.londontools.co.uk/home.php?cat=259

if you look at item 3 at the top ,that is what you are looking for
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Feb, 13:33, "ALex" wrote:
http://www.londontools.co.uk/home.php?cat=259

if you look at item 3 at the top ,that is what you are looking for

Hi Alex
unfortunately, it's just the same thing made out of toughened saw &
drill resistant material. To quote what it says about that item,,and
add some asterixes::
"Hardened bolt giving added sawing protection. Metal sleeve around key
mechanism giving added drilling protection. 10 Year Guarantee,
***Universal Key***"...

David must be right.
I think I will be able to make one out of a universal one by filing
off some splines on the key and filling the corresponding socket with
solder, or something along those lines.

Thanks

Tony
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tonyjeffs" wrote in message
On 28 Feb, 13:33, "ALex" wrote:
http://www.londontools.co.uk/home.php?cat=259

if you look at item 3 at the top ,that is what you are looking for

Hi Alex
unfortunately, it's just the same thing made out of toughened saw &
drill resistant material. To quote what it says about that item,,and
add some asterixes::
"Hardened bolt giving added sawing protection. Metal sleeve around key
mechanism giving added drilling protection. 10 Year Guarantee,
***Universal Key***"...

Are you looking at the same page?

Provides a security upgrade from a universal key to a unique key mechanism
for a mortice door bolt. 10 Year Guarantee, Unique key, Key locking method,
Door Material: Timber

Its a lock barrel that fits into a door bolt in place of the removable key.

David must be right.
I think I will be able to make one out of a universal one by filing
off some splines on the key and filling the corresponding socket with
solder, or something along those lines.

Thanks

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Must be the medication!!!
Third down I was lookign at, not third accross. Self-defeatist
attitude - I'll see my psych tomorrow ;-)

YES THATS THE BUSINESS!
It is ordered and on its way.
What a clever simple design.

Many thanks to Neil and Dennis and everyone on the thread,

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YES THATS THE BUSINESS!
It is ordered and on its way.
What a clever simple design.

But surely it is only a matter of a few seconds work to remove 2 screws, and
your back to the universal key again, sort of defeats the object doesn't it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Mar, 12:38, "SimonJ" wrote:
YES THATS THE BUSINESS!
It is ordered and on its way.
What a clever simple design.

But surely it is only a matter of a few seconds work to remove 2 screws, and
your back to the universal key again, sort of defeats the object doesn't it?

It's only really to provide a deterrant so that family members don't
readily wander into my room while I'm away. It'll do the trick!

Tony
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SimonJ" wrote:
YES THATS THE BUSINESS!
It is ordered and on its way.
What a clever simple design.

But surely it is only a matter of a few seconds work to remove 2 screws, and
your back to the universal key again, sort of defeats the object doesn't it?

On the inside of an exterior door, removing these locks will represent a
couple of minutes' delay, and that would deter almost all casual
burglars. That alone is enough to make fitting them worthwhile.

Obviously, a determined burglar with plenty of time would not be put
off.

I would also be tempted to fit them with security head screws that
cannot be easily or quickly removed.

Front door multi-point lock slowly getting harder to lock [email protected] UK diy 2 April 14th 07 09:31 PM
door knobs with key lock and push button lock Nospam Home Repair 4 May 23rd 06 05:05 PM
GE electric slide-in self cleaning auto lock won't lock door sunni Home Repair 1 October 27th 05 12:47 PM
Internal Door Lock Sean Delere UK diy 5 March 27th 05 04:09 PM
Trouble finding replacement internal door lock Joe Woods UK diy 7 October 15th 03 04:23 PM