Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Floor Jack wheel idea

I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

When mine gets noisy, I find that merely lubing the wheels makes moving
the jack remarkably quieter.

Plain old 30W works great for me... depending on use, I need a few drops
in each wheel a couple or three times a year.

Try it first, you might be pleasantly surprised... as always, YMMV.

Good Luck!

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-27, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:
I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

What? You can hear a jack being moved?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 01:35:42 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

I just got my first one, haven't had time to figure out what's wrong
with it. How are ya gonna whip (slide sideways) that puppy under the
vehicle?

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 27, 8:26*am, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 01:35:42 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:
I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. *It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. *The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. *I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

I just got my first one, haven't had time to figure out what's wrong
with it. How are ya gonna whip (slide sideways) that puppy under the
vehicle?

SW

That's always a handy move, and sometimes a necessary one.

I'd say pull 'em off and paint all the wheel *except* the tread with
bedliner.
Would do what lubing it does (I have noticed same thing Erik has)
except a bit better.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

How many PSI do those wheels see under load? The contact patch is very
small on floor jack wheels so you're probably looking at ~1,000 PSI. Can
the proposed material stand up to those loads?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 26, 11:35*pm, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:
I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. *It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. *The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. *I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

Stealth floor jacks now? I really don't care how much noise it makes
when I move it, as long as it DOES move. And the other guy makes a
good point about sliding the thing sideways, I do that al the time to
get it in just the right spot. I had a chink jack that had plastic
wheels that was a lot quieter, too bad the innards didn't stand up. I
think I got my 10 bucks worth out of it, though. Iron wheels just
stand up better and are eaiser to slide on concrete, too bad about the
noise, but that's the least part of its life. Don't think anyone's
going on 5 mile hikes towing a floor jack.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:26:49 -0500, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 01:35:42 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

I just got my first one, haven't had time to figure out what's wrong
with it. How are ya gonna whip (slide sideways) that puppy under the
vehicle?

Put your boot down next to the rear wheels (fulcrum) and lever it
over, mon.

That's only IF you're not man enough to do it with one wrist.
(I guess that screws the lesbian, dunnit?)

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/27/2011 8:26 AM, Sunworshipper wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 01:35:42 -0400, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

I just got my first one, haven't had time to figure out what's wrong
with it. How are ya gonna whip (slide sideways) that puppy under the
vehicle?

SW

Damn good point, boy! I didn't think this through.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/27/2011 2:47 AM, Erik wrote:
In articlefOidnU5fD4wt_RzTnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@giganews. com,
Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

When mine gets noisy, I find that merely lubing the wheels makes moving
the jack remarkably quieter.

Plain old 30W works great for me... depending on use, I need a few drops
in each wheel a couple or three times a year.

Try it first, you might be pleasantly surprised... as always, YMMV.

Good Luck!

Erik

Yea, I suppose the wheels SHOULD rotate...that might quiet them down some.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:47:36 -0700, Erik wrote:

In article ,
Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

When mine gets noisy, I find that merely lubing the wheels makes moving
the jack remarkably quieter.

Plain old 30W works great for me... depending on use, I need a few drops
in each wheel a couple or three times a year.

Try it first, you might be pleasantly surprised... as always, YMMV.

Good Luck!

Erik

The old floor jacks at the garage usually got a good swirt of old
differential fluid every month or so - on the axles and on the pivots.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 27, 1:35*am, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:
I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. *It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. *The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. *I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

Take the wheels off and coat everything except the wheel treads (and
the axle hole, heh).

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You yank the handle first in the direction you want it to slide (moves
the back), then whip the handle the other way to slide the front.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

wrote:

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 01:35:42 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. It's a good one that they
would probably rate higher today. The problem is that the wheels are SO
noisy while moving it. I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

I just got my first one, haven't had time to figure out what's wrong
with it. How are ya gonna whip (slide sideways) that puppy under the
vehicle?

SW

HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

In article , mars@tacks
says...
I have a 30yo 2-ton Sears floor jack at home. It's a good one that

they
would probably rate higher today. The problem is that the wheels are

SO
noisy while moving it. I was thinking of painting the wheels with
"Rhino Liner" type urethane material.

Norco sells nylon wheel kits for their jacks.

http://www.norcoindustries.com/produ...del/71229.html

--
DT