Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What do you think about this trailer

On Sep 17, 9:40*pm, Ignoramus8416
On 2011-09-18, Karl Townsend wrote:

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 19:47:03 -0500, Ignoramus8416

On 2011-09-17, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:30:50 -0500, Ignoramus844
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp.../1036.jpg.html

It is 10k lbs and has a tilt bed (I believe). Also has ramps.

I want to use it for surplus dealings for larger items. Any comments?

Nice well made trailer. *However..it is a bit short.

Which might not be a problem for you..depending on the type of surplus.

Unless you are buying big lathes or CNC centers..I think it would work
nicely for you.

The photo is more confusing than helpful. It makes it look shorted and
heavier on the nose than it really is.

Here's a better photo that I made after loading a 6,000lbs crane on
it:

* * * *http://goo.gl/Gbnn3

The trailer has a 14 foot bed.

I have a feeling, based on something factual, that this is actually a
12k trailer, but it is titled as 10k, which is fine with me.

Proof that a pic can confuse things. I would have said nine feet with
six ahead of the wheels.

This is where picture decoding skills come helpful. On the left side
-- closest to the photographer -- you see the part ahead of the wheels
enlarged, and the area behind the wheels obscured.

Now, if you would look at the right side of the trailer -- farthest
from the photographer -- the trailer proportions do not look so
crazy.

I went to the auction site and actually looked at it before bidding,
as I needed a trailer ASAP and did not want to byu a lemon.

After putting about 300 miles on it, this one does not seem to be a
lemon, however the electricals do not work. Also, the front lifting
jack clearly bent itself out of position.

i- Hide quoted text -

Hey Ig...if you cruise the Practical Machinist and Home Shop Machinist
sites for trailer discussions, I think you may find some good ideas to
modify/add to your trailer.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp.../1036.jpg.html

It is 10k lbs and has a tilt bed (I believe). Also has ramps.

I want to use it for surplus dealings for larger items. Any comments?

Nice well made trailer. However..it is a bit short.

Which might not be a problem for you..depending on the type of surplus.

Unless you are buying big lathes or CNC centers..I think it would work
nicely for you.

The photo is more confusing than helpful. It makes it look shorted and
heavier on the nose than it really is.

Here's a better photo that I made after loading a 6,000lbs crane on
it:

http://goo.gl/Gbnn3

The trailer has a 14 foot bed.

I have a feeling, based on something factual, that this is actually a
12k trailer, but it is titled as 10k, which is fine with me.

I hope the "factual" item isn't a rating plate on the trailer. That
plate is what the DOT goes by to determine if the trailer is CDL level
or not.

If it says 12K I hope you have a CDL. Unless you like large fines.

--
Steve W.

On that subject, how are you doing getting your CDL Iggy?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-18, Pete C. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There is no tag left on this trailer.

On that subject, how are you doing getting your CDL Iggy?

I read 1.5 books out of 3 by now. I will probably take the next in 4-6
weeks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep, you could learn how to reinforce the bottom so that when TMT fat
mommies (both of them) get in, their feet don't go right through the
floor. You will also need to weigh down the front end of your truck so
it doesn't do a wheelie.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Its much longer than the original photo showed.

Yeah, you couldn't really see the beaver tail at all in that.
--Glenn Lyford

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The electrical is a simple problem you've probably already fixed -
half the time they just let all the lamps beat themselves to death.
LED Lights are the way to go on any trailers, they ride too rough.

Might want to move the tail lights closer to the rear, they
shouldn't be set back more than a few inches from the corners. You
can always take 3/8 round bar and bend up some protection hoops around
the tail light fixtures.

The best trick is to wire it like a Commercial trailer with separate
Stoplights (takes 4 tail lights) and put a 7-pin or 9-Pin commercial
round FEMALE connector on the tongue. Then it can work with either
style of tow vehicle tail lights, and you can make separate connector
cables to adapt to the truck you are towing it with.

Straight-through cable if you rent a Semi Tractor, 7 Commercial to 7
Travel Trailer if you have your pickup wired like that, 7 Commercial
to 6-pin round...

Don't do any more to the tongue jack than make sure it didn't rip
anything, and replace the bolts. If you fix it, you'll just drag it
in a driveway and bend it again.

If you really insist, you'll have to put on a reinforced "Skid Shoe"
to take the brunt of a dragging. Or get a big cast-iron caster wheel
and hard-mount it right there so it rolls over the driveway apron.
Look at the wheels they mount under the back bumpers of motorhomes for
inspiration.

-- Bruce --