Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Great idea of a trunnion table!

I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 19:47:32 -0500, Ignoramus30787
wrote:

I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

$1800 and the rotary table and vise is not included. Seems pricey.

Nice idea.
Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

$1800 and the rotary table and vise is not included. Seems pricey.

Nice idea.

This is exactly how I feel about it, great idea, steep price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/4/2011 8:47 PM, Ignoramus30787 wrote:
I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

I've always wanted one of these..

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3r7wvon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

$1800 and the rotary table and vise is not included. Seems pricey.

NO kidding. I'll bet Ig makes an equivalent for under $300.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-06, tnik wrote:
On 9/4/2011 8:47 PM, Ignoramus30787 wrote:
I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

I've always wanted one of these..

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3r7wvon

Besides being heavy, these are also complicated to use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

$1800 and the rotary table and vise is not included. Seems pricey.

NO kidding. I'll bet Ig makes an equivalent for under $300.

Yes, it does not seem to be very complicated. Some welding, some CNC
machining, not really that much seems to be involved. Just three large
pieces of iron is what is needed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

$1800 and the rotary table and vise is not included. Seems pricey.

NO kidding. I'll bet Ig makes an equivalent for under $300.

Yes, it does not seem to be very complicated. Some welding, some CNC
machining, not really that much seems to be involved. Just three large
pieces of iron is what is needed.

Do you have a CNC rotary table, Ig? They're far more useful than a trunnion
for accurate work. Trunnions are basically production tools with multiple
sets of fixtures; unless you get into the really expensive ones, they aren't
generally high-accuracy devices.

The Haas trunnion with a vise never looked like it made a lot of sense to
me. It isn't good for fixturing multiple parts and it doesn't seem to offer
a lot over a vertical rotary table, unless your particular part
configuration just can't be set up on the table itself.

On the other hand, a rotary table that can be set up vertically can be very
useful in a small shop.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-06, wrote:
On 9/4/2011 8:47 PM, Ignoramus30787 wrote:
I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

I've always wanted one of these..

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3r7wvon

Besides being heavy, these are also complicated to use.

Yea, I'm not a hobbyist, We have plenty of machines here that could
handle that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

$1800 and the rotary table and vise is not included. Seems pricey.

NO kidding. I'll bet Ig makes an equivalent for under $300.

Yes, it does not seem to be very complicated. Some welding, some CNC
machining, not really that much seems to be involved. Just three large
pieces of iron is what is needed.

Do you have a CNC rotary table, Ig? They're far more useful than a trunnion
for accurate work. Trunnions are basically production tools with multiple
sets of fixtures; unless you get into the really expensive ones, they aren't
generally high-accuracy devices.

Yes, I do, I think that I showed it and how it turnsto you, but
perhaps the beer interfered.

The Haas trunnion with a vise never looked like it made a lot of sense to
me. It isn't good for fixturing multiple parts and it doesn't seem to offer
a lot over a vertical rotary table, unless your particular part
configuration just can't be set up on the table itself.

On the other hand, a rotary table that can be set up vertically can be very
useful in a small shop.

This is what I have.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...y-Table-U12PNC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

$1800 and the rotary table and vise is not included. Seems pricey.

NO kidding. I'll bet Ig makes an equivalent for under $300.

Yes, it does not seem to be very complicated. Some welding, some CNC
machining, not really that much seems to be involved. Just three large
pieces of iron is what is needed.

Do you have a CNC rotary table, Ig? They're far more useful than a
trunnion
for accurate work. Trunnions are basically production tools with multiple
sets of fixtures; unless you get into the really expensive ones, they
aren't
generally high-accuracy devices.

Yes, I do, I think that I showed it and how it turnsto you, but
perhaps the beer interfered.

Yeah, I thought you had one, and it's pretty substantial.

The Haas trunnion with a vise never looked like it made a lot of sense to
me. It isn't good for fixturing multiple parts and it doesn't seem to
offer
a lot over a vertical rotary table, unless your particular part
configuration just can't be set up on the table itself.

On the other hand, a rotary table that can be set up vertically can be
very
useful in a small shop.

This is what I have.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...y-Table-U12PNC

Think about what you can fixture on that, set up vertically, with a
right-angle plate on the table. Compare that to what you can mount in a vise
on a trunnion. I don't think you'll see much difference. If you're thinking
of one-off jobs, getting a part set up accurately in a vise probably takes
as much time as setting up on the angle plate. If you're thinking of batch
work, a little fixturing on the angle plate probably will out-perform the
vise.

I just don't see where the trunnion has much to offer. The trunnions I'm
familiar with typically have four sets of dedicated fixtures, each holding
multiple parts, for higher-volume production work. That makes sense. A
single vise on a trunnion doesn't make much sense to me. It looks like a
gadget in search of a reason to live.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mounting a workpiece directly to a rigid, T-slotted tilting table would
likely serve the needs of most home shop machinists.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milling-Mach...-/180641121361

I bought a nice used USA 8x6" table for about $60 IIRC, several years ago,
and it's suitable for mounting other tooling to if needed.. but a more rigid
mount with the workpiece clamped directly to the table.

For tiny workpieces, I have a pivot-pin type slotted tilt table about 4"
square, or angle vises to use.

The trunnion with integral rotary table looks interesting, but I can't think
of much use for it.

--
WB

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Think about what you can fixture on that, set up vertically, with a
right-angle plate on the table. Compare that to what you can mount in a
vise on a trunnion. I don't think you'll see much difference. If you're
thinking of one-off jobs, getting a part set up accurately in a vise
probably takes as much time as setting up on the angle plate. If you're
thinking of batch work, a little fixturing on the angle plate probably
will out-perform the vise.

I just don't see where the trunnion has much to offer. The trunnions I'm
familiar with typically have four sets of dedicated fixtures, each holding
multiple parts, for higher-volume production work. That makes sense. A
single vise on a trunnion doesn't make much sense to me. It looks like a
gadget in search of a reason to live.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
Mounting a workpiece directly to a rigid, T-slotted tilting table
would likely serve the needs of most home shop machinists.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milling-Mach...-/180641121361

I bought a nice used USA 8x6" table for about $60 IIRC, several years
ago, and it's suitable for mounting other tooling to if needed.. but a
more rigid mount with the workpiece clamped directly to the table.

For tiny workpieces, I have a pivot-pin type slotted tilt table about
4" square, or angle vises to use.

The trunnion with integral rotary table looks interesting, but I can't
think of much use for it.

I've seen video, most likely on youtube, of them being used to machine
miniature gas turbine rotors or the wax master for lost wax casting. The
item looked very much like a turbocharger rotor.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote:
Mounting a workpiece directly to a rigid, T-slotted tilting table would
likely serve the needs of most home shop machinists.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milling-Mach...-/180641121361

I bought a nice used USA 8x6" table for about $60 IIRC, several years
ago, and it's suitable for mounting other tooling to if needed.. but a
more rigid mount with the workpiece clamped directly to the table.

For tiny workpieces, I have a pivot-pin type slotted tilt table about 4"
square, or angle vises to use.

The trunnion with integral rotary table looks interesting, but I can't
think of much use for it.

I've seen video, most likely on youtube, of them being used to machine
miniature gas turbine rotors or the wax master for lost wax casting. The
item looked very much like a turbocharger rotor.

Once you have the CNC rotary table, however, you already have the multi-axis
functionality. Then all that particular trunnion seems to give you is a way
to hang a vise out there in space.

My guess is that the current generation of machinists is a lot more
comfortable with vises than with angle plates and clamps. The same is true
with faceplates on a lathe. Some people will jump through hoops to fixture
something on a mill, or in a lathe chuck, that's a piece of cake with a
faceplate.

--
Ed Huntress