Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Great idea of a trunnion table!

Mounting a workpiece directly to a rigid, T-slotted tilting table would
likely serve the needs of most home shop machinists.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milling-Mach...-/180641121361

I bought a nice used USA 8x6" table for about $60 IIRC, several years ago,
and it's suitable for mounting other tooling to if needed.. but a more rigid
mount with the workpiece clamped directly to the table.

For tiny workpieces, I have a pivot-pin type slotted tilt table about 4"
square, or angle vises to use.

The trunnion with integral rotary table looks interesting, but I can't think
of much use for it.

--
WB

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Think about what you can fixture on that, set up vertically, with a
right-angle plate on the table. Compare that to what you can mount in a
vise on a trunnion. I don't think you'll see much difference. If you're
thinking of one-off jobs, getting a part set up accurately in a vise
probably takes as much time as setting up on the angle plate. If you're
thinking of batch work, a little fixturing on the angle plate probably
will out-perform the vise.

I just don't see where the trunnion has much to offer. The trunnions I'm
familiar with typically have four sets of dedicated fixtures, each holding
multiple parts, for higher-volume production work. That makes sense. A
single vise on a trunnion doesn't make much sense to me. It looks like a
gadget in search of a reason to live.

--
Ed Huntress