Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Great idea of a trunnion table!

"Ignoramus22698" wrote in message
On 2011-09-06, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ignoramus22698" wrote in message
On 2011-09-06, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:46:04 -0400, Randy333
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 19:47:32 -0500, Ignoramus30787
wrote:

I love the concept expressed in this auction, what a great idea!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170691977589

I want to make my own now...

$1800 and the rotary table and vise is not included. Seems pricey.

NO kidding. I'll bet Ig makes an equivalent for under $300.

Yes, it does not seem to be very complicated. Some welding, some CNC
machining, not really that much seems to be involved. Just three large
pieces of iron is what is needed.

Do you have a CNC rotary table, Ig? They're far more useful than a
trunnion
for accurate work. Trunnions are basically production tools with multiple
sets of fixtures; unless you get into the really expensive ones, they
aren't
generally high-accuracy devices.

Yes, I do, I think that I showed it and how it turnsto you, but
perhaps the beer interfered.

Yeah, I thought you had one, and it's pretty substantial.

The Haas trunnion with a vise never looked like it made a lot of sense to
me. It isn't good for fixturing multiple parts and it doesn't seem to
offer
a lot over a vertical rotary table, unless your particular part
configuration just can't be set up on the table itself.

On the other hand, a rotary table that can be set up vertically can be
very
useful in a small shop.

This is what I have.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...y-Table-U12PNC

Think about what you can fixture on that, set up vertically, with a
right-angle plate on the table. Compare that to what you can mount in a vise
on a trunnion. I don't think you'll see much difference. If you're thinking
of one-off jobs, getting a part set up accurately in a vise probably takes
as much time as setting up on the angle plate. If you're thinking of batch
work, a little fixturing on the angle plate probably will out-perform the
vise.

I just don't see where the trunnion has much to offer. The trunnions I'm
familiar with typically have four sets of dedicated fixtures, each holding
multiple parts, for higher-volume production work. That makes sense. A
single vise on a trunnion doesn't make much sense to me. It looks like a
gadget in search of a reason to live.

--
Ed Huntress