Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Starting the Royal Enfield Restoration

On 8/22/2011 4:26 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...anRoyalEnfield
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...eldRestoration

I dont know what the original owner(s) did in the 10 yrs before I got
it and when it was imported into the US..but they apparently didnt have
a very good source of Whitworth nuts and bolts..because so far..about
1/3 of the hardware Ive removed...is SAE...regular sized nuts and bolts.

Don't worry about having 2 sets of spanners - late model Nortons had
both British and USA standard threads, and toolkit to suit. As long as
there's a nut at the end of a bolt, it usually doesn't matter what
thread standard is.
That's a Matchless (or AJS - same factory) toolbox on the left side.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:17:39 +1000, Jordan wrote:

On 8/22/2011 4:26 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...anRoyalEnfield
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...eldRestoration

I dont know what the original owner(s) did in the 10 yrs before I got
it and when it was imported into the US..but they apparently didnt have
a very good source of Whitworth nuts and bolts..because so far..about
1/3 of the hardware Ive removed...is SAE...regular sized nuts and bolts.

Don't worry about having 2 sets of spanners - late model Nortons had
both British and USA standard threads, and toolkit to suit. As long as
there's a nut at the end of a bolt, it usually doesn't matter what
thread standard is.
That's a Matchless (or AJS - same factory) toolbox on the left side.

That is the Electrical box, with what should have been the ignition
switch in the hole. When I got it..it had 2 toggle switches in it. One
for lighting..the other for the power to the coil/distributor.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.