Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Statistics for week ending 20110808

Okay, I will use my One Dumb Question A Month coupon ...........

can someone explain what this means?

TIA

Steve

Top 20 responders by original text ( 5 posts)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 09:15:48 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Okay, I will use my One Dumb Question A Month coupon ...........
can someone explain what this means?

Top 20 responders by original text ( 5 posts)

That section lists handles of 20 persons who have made more than
5 posts, in descending order by percentage of new text in messages.
Each line of text is treated as quoted or original. The displayed
ratios are number of original characters over total number of
characters, as seen at line 550 in a newstats script as seen at
end of http://homepage.ntlworld.com/garryknight/linux/perl.html.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James Waldby" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 09:15:48 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Okay, I will use my One Dumb Question A Month coupon ...........
can someone explain what this means?

Top 20 responders by original text ( 5 posts)

That section lists handles of 20 persons who have made more than
5 posts, in descending order by percentage of new text in messages.
Each line of text is treated as quoted or original. The displayed
ratios are number of original characters over total number of
characters, as seen at line 550 in a newstats script as seen at
end of http://homepage.ntlworld.com/garryknight/linux/perl.html.

--
jiw

I take that to mean that I answered to a lot of posts, snipped a lot, and
contributed new material. Is that correct? If that is what I said, it is a
compliment. I dislike people who requote massive texts, then say, "Me, too"
or the like.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Generally, the participants in this category *would be* actual contributors
to RCM, with the exception of copy/pasters.. although the polling software
doesn't distinguish between on-topic or off-topic.

"Original Text" means the amount of new text a poster includes/composes in
their reply, which wasn't stated previously and just included by a
newsreader's quoting/software methods of including previous text, added to a
poster's reply.

So when many of the posters here include days of previous posts in their
replies, because they're too busy to trim posts, and their reply is
something short, such as: you're an asshole, then their original text is
limited to: you're an asshole.. although it may include long off-topic
bull**** included in a signature.

Most of the genuine contributors here will typically have more to say
regarding on-topic metalworking practices and methods, so they often go to
the effort of composing paragraphs of details to explain their
thoughts/methods on the subject(s).

Most of the non-contributors who usually post much more frequently than the
actual contributors of RCM.. will primarily post ranting hateful, prejudiced
and fanatical views of themselves or others (copy/paste), and have very
little to contribute that would be considered on-topic.

--
WB

"Steve B" wrote in message
Okay, I will use my One Dumb Question A Month coupon ...........

can someone explain what this means?

TIA

Steve

Top 20 responders by original text ( 5 posts)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 17:00:26 -0700, Steve B wrote:
"James Waldby" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 09:15:48 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Okay, I will use my One Dumb Question A Month coupon ........... can
someone explain what this means?

Top 20 responders by original text ( 5 posts)

That section lists handles of 20 persons who have made more than 5
posts, in descending order by percentage of new text in messages. Each
line of text is treated as quoted or original. The displayed ratios
are number of original characters over total number of characters, as
seen at line 550 in a newstats script as seen at end of
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/garryknight/linux/perl.html.

I take that to mean that I answered to a lot of posts, snipped a lot,
and contributed new material. Is that correct?

That may be what you did, but the stats line itself (ie:
1: "Steve B" .................... : 75.08%
) just shows what the ratio is, not how it came about. Some of the
people with high original-text ratios post a lot of tired old words
that the stats program can't distinguish from original text. My
killfile doesn't have that problem. Also, several people quote
incorrectly, making it impossible for the stats program to tell quoted
text from original text.

If that is what I said, it is a compliment. I dislike people who
requote massive texts, then say, "Me, too" or the like.

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Well, whatever. I've been plain busy with metalworking, and that's good
enough for me.

Steve