Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby[_3_] James Waldby[_3_] is offline

Default Statistics for week ending 20110808

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 17:00:26 -0700, Steve B wrote:
"James Waldby" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 09:15:48 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Okay, I will use my One Dumb Question A Month coupon ........... can
someone explain what this means?

Top 20 responders by original text ( 5 posts)

That section lists handles of 20 persons who have made more than 5
posts, in descending order by percentage of new text in messages. Each
line of text is treated as quoted or original. The displayed ratios
are number of original characters over total number of characters, as
seen at line 550 in a newstats script as seen at end of
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/garryknight/linux/perl.html.

I take that to mean that I answered to a lot of posts, snipped a lot,
and contributed new material. Is that correct?

That may be what you did, but the stats line itself (ie:
1: "Steve B" .................... : 75.08%
) just shows what the ratio is, not how it came about. Some of the
people with high original-text ratios post a lot of tired old words
that the stats program can't distinguish from original text. My
killfile doesn't have that problem. Also, several people quote
incorrectly, making it impossible for the stats program to tell quoted
text from original text.

If that is what I said, it is a compliment. I dislike people who
requote massive texts, then say, "Me, too" or the like.

--
jiw