Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Filters (again)

On 2011-07-24, wrote:
On 7/23/2011 8:05 PM, Laurie Forbes wrote:
Got my Thunderbird filters working (only passes rec.crafts.metalworking)
but unfortunately, most of the posts are still OT (and full of the
typical cretinous blather).

I fear this is hopeless - is there another metal working group (not
necessarily on Usenet) that anyone could recommend?

Laurie Forbes

I use Thunderbird too, and have for a long time.

You shouldn't need a filter to allow "only" a certain newsgroup. You
should only be getting messages from the newsgroups that you are
subscribed to...? You might need to generate and link to a screenshot to
explain this better.

The problem is "crossposting". He wants to limit his newsreader
to displaying only those which have *only* "rec.crafts.metalworking" in
the "Newsgroups: " header. It is a fairly good bet that the more
newsgroups in the header, the more off-topic it will be. Crossposting
has multiple newsgroup names separated only by commas, and with a
single newsgroup, there will be no commas. Good newsreaders have the
ability to filter on the contents of the "Newsgroups: " header, among
others. (I'm also using the "NNTP-Posting-Host: " header to eliminate
spam from various countries which never submit on-topic articles.)

OBTW -- perhaps the problem is in Laurie's use of the filters that
he is asking to "Delete" instead of "Mark as read". Since he
can't "delete" (cancel is the offical NNTP term) things which he
has not posted -- and is unlikely to be trying to get rid of his
own articles. So -- look for the term which means "mark as
read" in the filters and try again.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I am using the "delete" action for certain non-RCMs in "Newsgroups" plus
one or two individuals in "From" and it works (I don't know exactly what
happens to those messages but they do not show up on my screen). As I
mentioned b/f, the problem now is that a lot of OT stuff still shows up
in RCM only but the problem is now at least much reduced.

BTW, a moderated RCM would be a fine thing IMO. There is such a wealth
of knowledge available here it seems a shame to diminish and degrade it.

Laurie Forbes

Laurie Forbes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-30, Laurie Forbes wrote:
On 7/25/2011 9:12 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

OBTW -- perhaps the problem is in Laurie's use of the filters that
he is asking to "Delete" instead of "Mark as read". Since he
can't "delete" (cancel is the official NNTP term) things which he
has not posted -- and is unlikely to be trying to get rid of his
own articles. So -- look for the term which means "mark as
read" in the filters and try again.

[ ... ]

I am using the "delete" action for certain non-RCMs in "Newsgroups" plus
one or two individuals in "From" and it works (I don't know exactly what
happens to those messages but they do not show up on my screen).

It depends on what your newsreader does when asked to "delete".
From some of the discussion, it seemed that some were taking that to be
a "cancel" request, which can only be done by either the original
poster, or the newserver administrator on the server from which it was
posted.

If your newsreader it taking "delete" to mean ""mark as read",
then find.

As I
mentioned b/f, the problem now is that a lot of OT stuff still shows up
in RCM only but the problem is now at least much reduced.

Yes.

FWIW -- my scorefile in slrn has 4318 lines, including explicit
blocking of specific newsgroups in cross-postings, NNTP address ranges
for various spamers -- including the one for tonight which was a
"Make-Money-Fast" scam in Portuguese from Brazil, and lots of individual
posters, plus "Subject: " headers (or partial "Subject: " headers,
keywords to block. Many of the "Subject: " header ones are designed to
go away automatically after a certain number of months. Most of the
usernames are there forever.

BTW, a moderated RCM would be a fine thing IMO. There is such a wealth
of knowledge available here it seems a shame to diminish and degrade it.

It would be, indeed, with two problems:

1) It is a *major* task to convert an existing unmoderated newsgroup
to a moderated one. (And when this newsgroup was formed, it was
not obvious that moderation would be desirable.)

2) Finding (and keeping) a moderator can be another problem.
Ideally, several moderators to share the load, and to allow one
moderator to die or get a major stroke or something similar
without losing the ability for *anyone* to post to the newsgroup.

Now -- forming it as a moderated newsgroup in the "alt"
heirarchy (say alt.crafts.metalworking.moderated) would be
easier.

There is (or used to be, I haven't checked in years) at least
one there, "alt.hackers" -- with *no* moderator. The only way
to post to it is to be able to forge the authorization that a
moderator would add. However, if we had something like this, it
would motivate the trolls to figure out how to do that forging.
:-(

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

responding to
http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworkin...in-511237-.htm
asheksp wrote:
Please Visit
http://sexca.shopping.officelive.com/default.aspx

oil filters mark Metalworking 10 August 29th 09 09:38 PM
Seeking Opinions on air return filters and air vent filters No Way Home Repair 19 June 11th 07 06:52 PM
Air Filters - Questions re the ones for the HVAC and seperate plug-in type air filters. Ron Cliborn Home Repair 3 August 13th 06 05:37 PM
WTD: TV SAW filters [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 October 9th 04 08:08 AM