Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What 36" Ridgid pipe wrench to keep, AL vs. Iron

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 06:16:36 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 7/19/2011 6:49 AM, Steve B wrote:
"D.A. wrote

So you don't even know what a "pressure tank", used in a well system is
?
Why don't you look it up and then come back to us...

(what a maroon)...

Well, I always thought that in order for a pressure tank to work, there
had
to be some room for the pressure....

Well, I've been on the sidelines but I read the original suggestion to use
a pressure tank as exactly that--a charged pressure tank free from the
piping system. One would _presume_ he intended charging the water side,
yes, leaving the air side alone...

I would also tend to presume that's why the suggestion of it might work
better than the simple tank charge used in the posting to which he
responded.

OBTW, the (what a maroon) comes from one of the old, old cartoons--I
forget which character/strip now, but that's the reference...

As I read his post, he seemed to be saying that one could just fill up a
tank with pressure, and then empty it when needed. He mentioned nothing of
any air space. And since a lot of systems only have 50 psi water pressure,
the airspace in there might not be enough to even void the contents of said
container unless the airspace is adequate.

Right, a 50 gallon tank would have about 25 gallons of water under
pressure. The air would force that out once the pump stopped, with
decreasing pressure the whole time it evacuated. Pressure tanks are
fitted with differential regulator switches, usually 20-40 or 30-60.
Well pumps are switched on once the pressure drops to 20/30 and cut
off at 40/60psi. (psig if yer anal about it)

Much more to read about them and their history at Wikipedia. However, I do
not believe the poster was referring to this group of people, calling me a
"maroon." I really just think he/she/it could not spell "moron."

It is a common takeoff from Bugs Bunny cartoons where he calls morons
"maroons", Steve. No racial slur exists in that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Kh7nLplWo

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles