Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - State ranking of science education

FYI...

http://www.livescience.com/14953-states-add.html

http://www.livescience.com/14950-sta...announced.html

http://www.livescience.com/11638-ame...e-science.html

Your opinion?

One detail I see is that the Red States lag the Blue States...

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/13/2011 10:11 AM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
FYI...

http://www.livescience.com/14953-states-add.html

http://www.livescience.com/14950-sta...announced.html

http://www.livescience.com/11638-ame...e-science.html

Your opinion?

One detail I see is that the Red States lag the Blue States...

TMT

Nothing new there, is there? The only thing the red states lead the blue
states in is in the ignorance level of the people who live there.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message
On 7/13/2011 10:11 AM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
FYI...

http://www.livescience.com/14953-states-add.html

http://www.livescience.com/14950-sta...announced.html

http://www.livescience.com/11638-ame...e-science.html

Your opinion?

One detail I see is that the Red States lag the Blue States...

TMT

Nothing new there, is there? The only thing the red states lead the blue
states in is in the ignorance level of the people who live there.

Out-of-wedlock pregnancies, too! They're very fertile in the red states, and
it seems to happen to them by surprise. Like bunnies.

Whoops! Another rug rat, another Republican. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:10:03 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message
On 7/13/2011 10:11 AM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
FYI...

http://www.livescience.com/14953-states-add.html

http://www.livescience.com/14950-sta...announced.html

http://www.livescience.com/11638-ame...e-science.html

Your opinion?

One detail I see is that the Red States lag the Blue States...

TMT

Nothing new there, is there? The only thing the red states lead the blue
states in is in the ignorance level of the people who live there.

Out-of-wedlock pregnancies, too! They're very fertile in the red states, and
it seems to happen to them by surprise. Like bunnies.

Whoops! Another rug rat, another Republican. d8-)

Lack of science education must be the culprit. If you don't learn what
abstinence means it's no surprise that they don't practice it.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote in message
On 7/13/2011 10:11 AM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
FYI...

http://www.livescience.com/14953-states-add.html

http://www.livescience.com/14950-sta...announced.html

http://www.livescience.com/11638-ame...e-science.html

Your opinion?

One detail I see is that the Red States lag the Blue States...

TMT

Nothing new there, is there? The only thing the red states lead the blue
states in is in the ignorance level of the people who live there.

Out-of-wedlock pregnancies, too! They're very fertile in the red states, and
it seems to happen to them by surprise. Like bunnies.

Whoops! Another rug rat, another Republican. d8-)

Lack of science education must be the culprit. If you don't learn what
abstinence means it's no surprise that they don't practice it.
ERS

Like the Taliban, who only learn what the Koran tells them, the people
of the red states only learn what the Bible says. This of course, leaves
a big gap in what they know about science.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 13, 8:35*pm, Hawke wrote:

Like the Taliban, who only learn what the Koran tells them, the people
of the red states only learn what the Bible says. This of course, leaves
a big gap in what they know about science.

Hawke

Another statement that is wrong. I worked in Huntsville, Alabama
along side of many Southerners that worked on the NASA space program.
I did not see any gaps in their knowledge of science. I would bet
good money that their knowledge of science was better than yours.

My son went to school in Alabama and learned a lot of things that are
not in the Bible.

I strongly suspect that the poor scores in Science are matched by poor
scores in all other subjects.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here in left of left Seattle the public schools are doing there part
to squash science education through the math curriculum. The school
board has mandated Discovery Math AKA math by committee. Students know
evolution and global warming concepts but don't know how to solve a
linear equation.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 10:47*am, toolbreaker wrote:
Here in left of left Seattle the public schools are doing there part
to squash science education through the math curriculum. * The school
board has mandated Discovery Math AKA math by committee. Students know
evolution and global warming concepts but don't know how to solve a
linear equation.

Are you sure they know evolution?

"The Discovery Institute is a non-profit public policy think tank
based in Seattle, Washington, best known for its advocacy of
intelligent design creationism. Founded in 1990, the institute
describes its purpose as promoting "ideas in the common sense
tradition of representative government, the free market and individual
liberty."[2]"

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 6:48*am, " wrote:
On Jul 13, 8:35*pm, Hawke wrote:

Like the Taliban, who only learn what the Koran tells them, the people
of the red states only learn what the Bible says. This of course, leaves
a big gap in what they know about science.

Hawke

Another statement that *is wrong. *I worked in Huntsville, Alabama
along side of many Southerners that worked on the NASA space program.
I did not see any gaps in their knowledge of science. *I would bet
good money that their knowledge of science was better than yours.

My son went to school in Alabama *and learned a lot of things that are
not in the Bible.

I strongly suspect that the poor scores in Science are matched by poor
scores in all other subjects.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

Dan...maybe you do not realize it but Huntsville would be a very
special case with all the technical people in the area.

When the parents value science, you get good science education...when
parents value NASCAR and lottery tickets, you get NASCAR Angels and
scratch tickets.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 9:47*am, toolbreaker wrote:
Here in left of left Seattle the public schools are doing there part
to squash science education through the math curriculum. * The school
board has mandated Discovery Math AKA math by committee. Students know
evolution and global warming concepts but don't know how to solve a
linear equation.

Google would seem to disagree with you.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...0l0l0l0l0l0ll0

Do you even look at your child's math books?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.livescience.com/14950-sta...n-ranks-announ...

http://www.livescience.com/11638-ame...e-science.html

Your opinion?

One detail I see is that the Red States lag the Blue States...

TMT

I wonder how home schooling is scored in this survey.

Science would be one of the harder subjects to teach in a home
setting.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=492&q=washing...

Do you even look at your child's math books?

TMT

Discovery Math has nothing to do with the Discovery Institute
mentioned by Dan.

I have been tutoring high school algebra for the last 15 years so you
can say I have read my kids math books.

TMT’s link is to Washington State math standards which are left to the
local school board to implement as they see fit. Unfortunally Seattle
schools have chosen Discovery Math to achieve these goals.

Most other Washington school districts with more consurvitive
populations have chosen other math curriculum.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 11:52*am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Dan...maybe you do not realize it but Huntsville would be a very
special case with all the technical people in the area.

When the parents value science, you get good science education...when
parents value NASCAR and lottery tickets, you get NASCAR Angels and
scratch tickets.

TMT

Actually I think it is you who does not realize that Huntsville is not
a very special case. The South is full of high tech areas. The Tech
jobs pay about the same in the South, but the cost of living is much
lower. Florida has a lot of high tech companies. Georgia has Georgia
Tech, one of the better Engineering schools. It also has Lockheed
Martin at Marietta Georgia. The Research Triangle in North Carolina
is well known. And how about Oak Ridge ,Tennessee.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 2:05*pm, Hawke wrote:

Dan, I'm afraid you are humor challenged. You can't seem to have a hard
time distinguishing when someone is being tongue and cheek or totally
serious. Statements like the one I made above are not meant to be taken
absolutely literally. So it's obviously "wrong". Besides that,
broadbrush statements are meant to generalize and never are meant to
apply to everyone.

Hawke

I admit I have a hard time knowing when you are serious. From now on
I will assume all the statements you make about George Bush and Obama
are not to be taken literally. They are obviously " Wrong ".

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pinstripe Sniper" wrote in message
Tim Wescott wrote:

that it was all created by a Giant Spaghetti Monster (or God, or
whatever). But Florida is #11 on the list while Kansas is #16, so that
kind of blows that theory to hell.

Wasn't the "founder" of the GSM "church" from Kansas?

R'Amen :-)

PsS

It's the Flying Spaghetti Monster you heathens!
www.venganza.org/
The founder did write a satirical letter to the Kansas school board
which may be what you are thinking about .
www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message
On 7/13/2011 10:11 AM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
FYI...

http://www.livescience.com/14953-states-add.html

http://www.livescience.com/14950-sta...announced.html

http://www.livescience.com/11638-ame...e-science.html

Your opinion?

One detail I see is that the Red States lag the Blue States...

TMT

Nothing new there, is there? The only thing the red states lead the blue
states in is in the ignorance level of the people who live there.

Out-of-wedlock pregnancies, too! They're very fertile in the red states, and
it seems to happen to them by surprise. Like bunnies.

Whoops! Another rug rat, another Republican. d8-)

Which States kills the most bunnies?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Artemus wrote:
The founder did write a satirical letter to the Kansas school board
which may be what you are thinking about .
www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

Might as well just teach the Viking creation story as outlined in the first
page of "The First Three Minutes".

zero, and remove the last word.