Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Super quiet compressor? WTF?

I tested this Quincy compressor that I bought at auction today:

http://goo.gl/OCpa3

It is almost identical to my own Quincy compressor:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quincy-340-Compressor/

It has the same pump, of the same vintage, etc. The difference is that
this one has a 3 phase motor (mine has single phase 10 HP motor), and
also, that it has a different muffler and oil bath filter. Also, my
compressor has a belt guard and this one, does not.

What really shocked me was just how much quieter this compressor is,
compared to mine! WTF?

Could just an intake muffler and oil bath filter make that much of a
difference? Or does a belt guard add that much to noise?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus3477 wrote:

Could just an intake muffler and oil bath filter make that much of a
difference? Or does a belt guard add that much to noise?

The intake muffler certainly could. A large part of compressor noise is
from the intake - one of several reasons that plumbing the intake to the
outside is often a good idea (though muffling it is probably _also_ a
good idea if doing that in a residential neighborhood.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus3477 wrote:

Could just an intake muffler and oil bath filter make that much of a
difference? Or does a belt guard add that much to noise?

The intake muffler certainly could. A large part of compressor noise is
from the intake - one of several reasons that plumbing the intake to the
outside is often a good idea (though muffling it is probably _also_ a
good idea if doing that in a residential neighborhood.)

That also was a large part of the noise from old VWs, even the very first
water-cooled ones. Intake noise can be suprisingly loud, especially if you
have a good muffler on the output end.

--
Ed Huntress

Please don't feed the trolls. Killfile and ignore them so they will go
away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-08, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus3477 wrote:

Could just an intake muffler and oil bath filter make that much of a
difference? Or does a belt guard add that much to noise?

The intake muffler certainly could. A large part of compressor noise is
from the intake - one of several reasons that plumbing the intake to the
outside is often a good idea (though muffling it is probably _also_ a
good idea if doing that in a residential neighborhood.)

That also was a large part of the noise from old VWs, even the very first
water-cooled ones. Intake noise can be suprisingly loud, especially if you
have a good muffler on the output end.

Well, I tried swappnig my Solberg intake filter/muffler for the
Burgess muffler that is on the Quincy that I bought the other day.

Made very little difference. I think that the noise is due to
"everything else".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-08, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ecnerwal" wrote in
message
In article ,
Ignoramus3477 wrote:

Could just an intake muffler and oil bath filter make that much of a
difference? Or does a belt guard add that much to noise?

The intake muffler certainly could. A large part of compressor noise is
from the intake - one of several reasons that plumbing the intake to the
outside is often a good idea (though muffling it is probably _also_ a
good idea if doing that in a residential neighborhood.)

That also was a large part of the noise from old VWs, even the very first
water-cooled ones. Intake noise can be suprisingly loud, especially if
you
have a good muffler on the output end.

Well, I tried swappnig my Solberg intake filter/muffler for the
Burgess muffler that is on the Quincy that I bought the other day.

Made very little difference. I think that the noise is due to
"everything else".

'Could be. Go to a pet shop and puy a few feet of plastic aquarium hose.
Stick one end of it in your ear. d8-) Hold the other end in different places
where you think the noise may be generated.

That's what I've used in place of a mechanic's stethoscope for close to 50
years, and it works great.

Or, buy a mechanic's stethoscope and go pro.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 7/8/2011 7:43 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

That also was a large part of the noise from old VWs, even the very first
water-cooled ones. Intake noise can be suprisingly loud, especially if
you
have a good muffler on the output end.

Just for grins, I once fitted a small forklift carb to a Ducati 350 at my
Dad's suggestion. As he predicted, off-idle and low throttle response was
fantastic (at great loss to high end). One thing quite surprising was it
would idle very steadily and reliably, slow enough I could hear the air
rushing in through the intake. I'd never heard intake noise before on a
bike.

That combo would light off with one kick, hands off throttle and at once
settle down to a slurp-thump, slurp-thump idle.

Ha! Was that the single-cylinder, DOHC Ducati with the countershaft drive to
the cams? IIRC, they had a concentric Amal carb, right?

They were pretty slick, but giving that engine asthma with a little forklift
carb probably gave you much better atomization at low flow rates.

I once put a single-carb (SU) manifold from a Morris Minor onto my friend's
AH Sprite, just to get him back and forth to school while he learned to
rebuild those carbs. It would pull stumps, but it was out of wind in a
hurry.

--
Ed Huntress

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/8/2011 8:50 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Ha! Was that the single-cylinder, DOHC Ducati with the countershaft drive
the cams? IIRC, they had a concentric Amal carb, right?

SOHC, but yes, driven by bevel gear train off the crankshaft.

Eh, boy, memory is going. Yes, I remembered the separate valve covers and
DOHC stuck in my memory. Also, the desmos from the late '60s and on. There
was a lot of stuff going on, on top of those cylinder heads.

Never saw one with an Amal, all early models I've seen had Dellorto side
bowl carbs, later builds had a square slide Dellorto..

Well, Amals were somewhat popular as retrofits (they flow better than
Dellortos) but the OEM use of Amals on Ducatis came with later models, as my
memory jogs. Some of the V-twins had Amals from the factory, too.

They were pretty slick, but giving that engine asthma with a little
forklift
carb probably gave you much better atomization at low flow rates.

Yeah, it was awesome putting around, a very smooth linearity to throttle
input with oodles of torque. Up to a point... G

My favorite stump-puller was a BSA Victor 441 that I had for a short while,
until I realized, at about age 20, that I would soon have the kidneys of a
60-year-old if I kept it. You could go up a steep hill with it and count the
cylinder firings.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/8/2011 8:50 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Ha! Was that the single-cylinder, DOHC Ducati with the countershaft drive to
the cams? IIRC, they had a concentric Amal carb, right?

SOHC, but yes, driven by bevel gear train off the crankshaft. Never saw
one with an Amal, all early models I've seen had Dellorto side bowl
carbs, later builds had a square slide Dellorto..

They were pretty slick, but giving that engine asthma with a little forklift
carb probably gave you much better atomization at low flow rates.

Yeah, it was awesome putting around, a very smooth linearity to throttle
input with oodles of torque. Up to a point... G

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 09:34:09 -0500, Ignoramus3477
wrote:

I tested this Quincy compressor that I bought at auction today:

http://goo.gl/OCpa3

It is almost identical to my own Quincy compressor:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quincy-340-Compressor/

It has the same pump, of the same vintage, etc. The difference is that
this one has a 3 phase motor (mine has single phase 10 HP motor), and
also, that it has a different muffler and oil bath filter. Also, my
compressor has a belt guard and this one, does not.

What really shocked me was just how much quieter this compressor is,
compared to mine! WTF?

Could just an intake muffler and oil bath filter make that much of a
difference? Or does a belt guard add that much to noise?

Motor noise is quieter..the muffler and oil bath really make a
difference!..and how much of your noise is bad bearings and piston slap?

You may..may consider swapping over motors and keeping the new one.

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 11:19:36 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 7/8/2011 8:50 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Ha! Was that the single-cylinder, DOHC Ducati with the countershaft drive to
the cams? IIRC, they had a concentric Amal carb, right?

SOHC, but yes, driven by bevel gear train off the crankshaft. Never saw
one with an Amal, all early models I've seen had Dellorto side bowl
carbs, later builds had a square slide Dellorto..

They were pretty slick, but giving that engine asthma with a little forklift
carb probably gave you much better atomization at low flow rates.

Yeah, it was awesome putting around, a very smooth linearity to throttle
input with oodles of torque. Up to a point... G

Jon

I had the 250 version..about 1969ish or so.