Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Super quiet compressor? WTF?

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 09:34:09 -0500, Ignoramus3477
wrote:

I tested this Quincy compressor that I bought at auction today:

http://goo.gl/OCpa3

It is almost identical to my own Quincy compressor:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quincy-340-Compressor/

It has the same pump, of the same vintage, etc. The difference is that
this one has a 3 phase motor (mine has single phase 10 HP motor), and
also, that it has a different muffler and oil bath filter. Also, my
compressor has a belt guard and this one, does not.

What really shocked me was just how much quieter this compressor is,
compared to mine! WTF?

Could just an intake muffler and oil bath filter make that much of a
difference? Or does a belt guard add that much to noise?

Motor noise is quieter..the muffler and oil bath really make a
difference!..and how much of your noise is bad bearings and piston slap?

You may..may consider swapping over motors and keeping the new one.

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.