Posted to rec.woodworking

Default quiet nail gun compressor?

Hi-

I searched through this group and read about quiet airbrush compressors
and medical compressors that are quiet, and I wonder if there have been
any updates for nail guns - I hoped to get a nail gun/compressor combo
but as I live in a condo, when reading the reviews of how loud they
are, I decided to hold off and do a little more research. I will be
doing my work during the day anyway but still, can't blast my
neighbors.

Thanks,

Joanna

Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

Joanna,

You can use a CO2 bottle to shoot nails. You can pick one up at a paintball
supply store or a welding supply. I have used a paintball gun canister.

cm

"intuitiveart" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi-

I searched through this group and read about quiet airbrush compressors
and medical compressors that are quiet, and I wonder if there have been
any updates for nail guns - I hoped to get a nail gun/compressor combo
but as I live in a condo, when reading the reviews of how loud they
are, I decided to hold off and do a little more research. I will be
doing my work during the day anyway but still, can't blast my
neighbors.

Thanks,

Joanna

Posted to rec.woodworking

Could be your first project could be to build a sound dampening
enclosure for your compressor. Here't the time tested (at least by me
anyway!) design use when I have to be more quiet on certain jobs.

Make a box out of a sheet of plywood (if you can't cut it, the
lumberyard will) that will hold your compressor PLUS some insulation.
I make a box, then use whatever I have on hand (usually caulk) for
adhesive and glue a couple of layers of foam board on the inside.
Make sure you plan your inside dimensions to allow for about 3 - 4" all
the way around the compressor minding where you put the compressor
inside. The compressor heads will get quite hot if you run it a lot.

I put the door on the front, and hinge the door with some cheap door
hinges. BTW, the door is insulated, too. Leave a generous slit in the
door so that you can get the power cord and air hose out of the box;
keep in mind this will be a vent for the compressor as well. I
wouldn't worry too much about heat since you are probably not going to
be using this in a manner that will cause it to run a lot. However,
you should check it inside after running the compressor for a while to
make sure it is no more than a little warm inside the enclosure. If it
gets hot, take a break and leave the door open for a while.

On mine, I put a small 2x4 frame on the bottom so I can put some cheap
castors on it so I can roll it around.

You will be astonished how quiet this setup will be. Also, the box
makes a dandy enclosure to hold your hoses, nail gun and nails if you
can keep it in a secure place.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Make a box out of a sheet of plywood (if you can't cut it, the
lumberyard will) that will hold your compressor PLUS some insulation.
I make a box, then use whatever I have on hand (usually caulk) for
adhesive and glue a couple of layers of foam board on the inside.

Excellent idea! If I used my little compressor more, I'd certainly be
building something like this. I'll just echo the recommendation to
have adequate vents (adequate probably being determined by trial and
error - it will certainly get warm, but if it seems too hot, drill a
couple 2" holes in each side or cut an inch off the bottom of the
door). Another variation I heard was to use carpet padding as
insulation - around here it'd be free if you look around the day before
trash day, or a carpet store/installer might give you some scraps.
Also keep in mind that the nail gun itself will make some noise - I
have a small 18-ga brad/stapler, and it makes a pretty good 'ka-thunk'
when it fires. Don't know if there's any way around this, or if it
varies at all depending on the gun.
One final recommendation while I'm on the topic - I'd stay away from
the off-brand air couplers etc. from harbor freight. I got an
incredibly cheap (both inexpensive and cheap) set of various air hose
fittings, couplers, adapters, etc. from HF, but the quick-connect
fitting leaked. Problem solved when I got a $1.78 fitting from HD
instead. So spend the extra few bucks for a name-brand pack of
accessories. I did get a "Goodyear" rubber air hose on sale at HF that
works fine, though.
That's all,
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can buy silenced compresors.
Have a look here. Not a lot of info but gives you an idea.
http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/home.php

"intuitiveart" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi-

I searched through this group and read about quiet airbrush compressors
and medical compressors that are quiet, and I wonder if there have been
any updates for nail guns - I hoped to get a nail gun/compressor combo
but as I live in a condo, when reading the reviews of how loud they
are, I decided to hold off and do a little more research. I will be
doing my work during the day anyway but still, can't blast my
neighbors.

Thanks,

Joanna

Posted to rec.woodworking

intuitiveart wrote:
Hi-

I searched through this group and read about quiet airbrush compressors
and medical compressors that are quiet, and I wonder if there have been
any updates for nail guns - I hoped to get a nail gun/compressor combo
but as I live in a condo, when reading the reviews of how loud they
are, I decided to hold off and do a little more research. I will be
doing my work during the day anyway but still, can't blast my
neighbors.

Aside from the excellent suggestions so far, a piston type compressor
is traditionally quieter.
The CO2 system is really cool, but a bit pricy in set-up.
Another thing to pay attention to, stating the obvious, is to make sure
all your fittings are top-notch so that useless air consumption is
reduced/eliminated. A ball valve between the outlet of your compressor
and the quick-connect will isolate the whole deal when not in use.
Putting the whole insulated box on tennis balls really helps reduce
transmitted noises from the box to the floor. (Use a pipe end flange.
screw to the box, one in each corner and insert tennis ball so that
half sticks out. Makes for a soft foot to protect your floor too.

PS, "Farm Windows" is fabulous.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...

Aside from the excellent suggestions so far, a piston type compressor
is traditionally quieter.

Might I add that a Cast Iron Oil lubed piston type compressor is quieter.
Loud Small direct drive oilless compressors use pistons also.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

intuitiveart wrote:
any updates for nail guns - I hoped to get a nail gun/compressor combo
but as I live in a condo, [but] how loud they are, I decided to hold off ...

Paslode -- see http://www.paslode-cordless.com/

Eliminate the compressor altogether.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes there are.

I bought one, Senco. PC1010

Also comes as a kit.

intuitiveart wrote:

Hi-

I searched through this group and read about quiet airbrush compressors
and medical compressors that are quiet, and I wonder if there have been
any updates for nail guns - I hoped to get a nail gun/compressor combo
but as I live in a condo, when reading the reviews of how loud they
are, I decided to hold off and do a little more research. I will be
doing my work during the day anyway but still, can't blast my
neighbors.

Thanks,

Joanna

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...

Aside from the excellent suggestions so far, a piston type compressor
is traditionally quieter.

Might I add that a Cast Iron Oil lubed piston type compressor is quieter.
Loud Small direct drive oilless compressors use pistons also.

*points at Leon* ------ what he said!

The oiled jobbies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you are just shooting finish or brad nails, this compressor is the
quietest I've ever seen.
http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-H...7?ie=UTF8&s=hi
I bought one to use for small trim jobs and am very pleased with it.
Lightweight and quiet. I got the micro pinner as well. Nice outfit. --dave

"intuitiveart" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi-

I searched through this group and read about quiet airbrush compressors
and medical compressors that are quiet, and I wonder if there have been
any updates for nail guns - I hoped to get a nail gun/compressor combo
but as I live in a condo, when reading the reviews of how loud they
are, I decided to hold off and do a little more research. I will be
doing my work during the day anyway but still, can't blast my
neighbors.

Thanks,

Joanna

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...
intuitiveart wrote:
any updates for nail guns - I hoped to get a nail gun/compressor combo
but as I live in a condo, [but] how loud they are, I decided to hold off

Paslode -- see http://www.paslode-cordless.com/

Eliminate the compressor altogether.

Yeah except those are loud and especially in confined spaces.

Posted to rec.woodworking

you want to get a oil filled compressor. there is a huge difference in
the noise level.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve knight" wrote in message

you want to get a oil filled compressor. there is a huge difference in
the noise level.

Hey Steve....How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Eddie Munster" wrote in message
Yes there are.

I bought one, Senco. PC1010

Also comes as a kit.

I have one of those. Nice little compressor. I take it with me in the RV in
case I need to air up a tire.
Comments about the noise of the nailer are important also. My son has a
neighbor who complained that he was firing some sort of firearm in his
backyard.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the Hitachi EC12 and the Rol-Air FC2002. Both are
oil-lubricated. For use inside the house, I put them in my closet
(clothing reduces the sound level) or laundry utility room and shut the
door. I can tell when it's running, but it's reduced to a tolerable
level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Do a Google search for JunAir. They make extremely quiet compressors. I have
a 4 cfm that is packaged like the typical pancake style compressors that are
commonly available, but my JunAir runs so quiet that my refrigerator makes
more noise. It would be ideal for use in an apartment. No, mine isn't for
sale.

--
Charley

"intuitiveart" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi-

I searched through this group and read about quiet airbrush compressors
and medical compressors that are quiet, and I wonder if there have been
any updates for nail guns - I hoped to get a nail gun/compressor combo
but as I live in a condo, when reading the reviews of how loud they
are, I decided to hold off and do a little more research. I will be
doing my work during the day anyway but still, can't blast my
neighbors.

Thanks,

Joanna

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Steve....How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a while.

not too bad business has been a bit slow. trying to get the infill's
done and I keep changing how I make the plow planes.
Should have my cnc router later this month. lots to learn but it will
bring in other work to my shop so I can make a living.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve knight" wrote in message

Hey Steve....How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a while.

not too bad business has been a bit slow. trying to get the infill's
done and I keep changing how I make the plow planes.
Should have my cnc router later this month. lots to learn but it will
bring in other work to my shop so I can make a living.

Good to hear. CNC router, cool. I have added a larger planer, a large
Laguna BS, and later this week, I hope, a new Performax 22/44 drum sander,
and I finally broke down and got a decent dust collector. Life is getting
easier in the shop. Merry Christmas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"intuitiveart" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi-

I searched through this group and read about quiet airbrush
compressors
and medical compressors that are quiet, and I wonder if there have
been
any updates for nail guns - I hoped to get a nail gun/compressor combo
but as I live in a condo, when reading the reviews of how loud they
are, I decided to hold off and do a little more research. I will be
doing my work during the day anyway but still, can't blast my
neighbors.

DeWalt makes both a one gallon (ala the Senco PC1010) D55140, 2.6 amp at
69db and, more recently, a two gallon D55141, 10 amp 79db
(http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...oductID=15021). I
saw the larger one as a kit a Lowe's. Kit gun was a 15 or 16 gauge and
the package was $279 IIRC.

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Good to hear. CNC router, cool. I have added a larger planer, a large
Laguna BS, and later this week, I hope, a new Performax 22/44 drum sander,
and I finally broke down and got a decent dust collector. Life is getting
easier in the shop. Merry Christmas.

I did not have the room for bigger tools so the cnc will do quite a
bit for me. the worlds largest jointer (G) I can jointer a 4x8' piece
of wood. but at 14,00.00 it's not the cheapest tool.

16 ga. nail gun pegleg Woodworking 13 December 10th 06 03:32 AM
Which Nail Gun? poolq2010 Woodworking 11 February 9th 06 12:01 PM
Nail-gun questions Gary A. Gorgen Metalworking 20 April 27th 05 02:16 PM
Is there a difference btw a Finish nail gun and Brad nail gun? dteckie Woodworking 4 September 10th 04 12:03 PM
Air compressor/nail gun question Geo Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 02:33 AM