Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default R8 Collet key replacemnt in Bridgeport

I was one of three working on replacing the R8 collet key in a
Bridgeport belonging to a friend.

I was in a position to take lots of photos (and mostly offer
suggestions), so I've built a web page showing the process.

http://www.d-and-d.com/PROJECTS/Bridgeport-collet-key/index.html

I opted to not use names in the page to maximize privacy.

The "Poultry Pilferer" refers to his favorite saying "There is
no chicken better than a stolen chicken." when selling parts and
equipment from his previous employer. (He's retired, and the employer
is using him to move surplus equipment both locally and on eBay as they
shift to new projects.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4 Jul 2011 02:05:03 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

I was one of three working on replacing the R8 collet key in a
Bridgeport belonging to a friend.

I was in a position to take lots of photos (and mostly offer
suggestions), so I've built a web page showing the process.

http://www.d-and-d.com/PROJECTS/Bridgeport-collet-key/index.html

I opted to not use names in the page to maximize privacy.

The "Poultry Pilferer" refers to his favorite saying "There is
no chicken better than a stolen chicken." when selling parts and
equipment from his previous employer. (He's retired, and the employer
is using him to move surplus equipment both locally and on eBay as they
shift to new projects.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Nicely done!!

Gunner, who has replaced several dozen of those pins

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was one of three working on replacing the R8 collet key in a
Bridgeport belonging to a friend.

I was in a position to take lots of photos (and mostly offer
suggestions), so I've built a web page showing the process.

http://www.d-and-d.com/PROJECTS/Bridgeport-collet-key/index.html

[ ... ]

Nicely done!!

Gunner, who has replaced several dozen of those pins

Thank you!

It is easier to document when two others were doing the work, so
I did not have to worry about picking up the camera with greasy hands.
(It is a *nice* camera, so I prefer to keep it working. :-)

Out of curiosity -- do you normally drive the bearing cannister
and spindle down a bit more to give easier access to the screws? I
would have done that -- but the owner of the mill did not feel
comfortable with that.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was one of three working on replacing the R8 collet key in a
Bridgeport belonging to a friend.

I was in a position to take lots of photos (and mostly offer
suggestions), so I've built a web page showing the process.

http://www.d-and-d.com/PROJECTS/Bridgeport-collet-key/index.html

[ ... ]

Nicely done!!

Gunner, who has replaced several dozen of those pins

Thank you!

It is easier to document when two others were doing the work, so
I did not have to worry about picking up the camera with greasy hands.
(It is a *nice* camera, so I prefer to keep it working. :-)

Out of curiosity -- do you normally drive the bearing cannister
and spindle down a bit more to give easier access to the screws? I
would have done that -- but the owner of the mill did not feel
comfortable with that.

Out of more curiosity, reviewing your excellent photo presentation, did
you re-install the backup/locking hollow setscrew before reassembly and
just not take a picture?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes. Sometimes..the damned thing (bearing canister and spindle) will
nearly fall out. Depending on age and use.

Gunner

Chainsaw blade replacemnt mark UK diy 13 March 31st 11 06:40 PM
Bridgeport repair guy visited today (CNC Bridgeport) Ignoramus32248 Metalworking 3 May 27th 10 03:55 AM
What is this collet? Michael Koblic Metalworking 8 February 4th 09 02:05 PM
Bison 5C collet chuck vs. Kalamazoo 1CC collet chuck vs. drawtube/ collet closer Louis Ohland Metalworking 2 August 2nd 07 02:35 AM
Does anyone know wha this collet is? wayne mak Metalworking 7 March 10th 06 04:16 PM