Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this collet?

My mill came with a set of collets. Not knowing any better I assumed they
were "MT3" as the holder fitted into the MT3 spindle. Now I realize they are
nothing of that kind. They look like the ER collets or more precisely the
RDG/TG collets. However, I cannot identify their size. It does not fit
anything in the catalogs.

Diameter=0.942" (23.92 mm)
Length=1.773" (45.01 mm)

This has major implications if replacement is needed. BTW the set has 8
collets, 1/8 to 5/8".

Can anyone identify?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From the diameter and length you gave Michael, it looks like they are
officially referred to as non-standard Chinese (at least by this source in
the UK).

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...ollets---Other

Any time someone posts a collet chart or comparison guide (or machine
spindle tapers), I try to remember to save a shortcut to it/them and put
them in a metalworking collet info folder. I had more of them on my last
machine, but here are the ones I have presently:

http://www.loganact.com/tips/collet.htm

http://www.armurerieduroi.com/pages/...e_collets.html

http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty...ence_info.html

http://www.sommatool.com/catalog/eri...%20COLLETS.asp

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&btnG=Se arch

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapers.html

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
My mill came with a set of collets. Not knowing any better I assumed they
were "MT3" as the holder fitted into the MT3 spindle. Now I realize they
are nothing of that kind. They look like the ER collets or more precisely
the RDG/TG collets. However, I cannot identify their size. It does not fit
anything in the catalogs.

Diameter=0.942" (23.92 mm)
Length=1.773" (45.01 mm)

This has major implications if replacement is needed. BTW the set has 8
collets, 1/8 to 5/8".

Can anyone identify?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 12:36*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
My mill came with a set of collets. Not knowing any better I assumed they
were "MT3" as the holder fitted into the MT3 spindle. Now I realize they are
nothing of that kind. They look like the ER collets or more precisely the
RDG/TG collets. However, I cannot identify their size. It does not fit
anything in the catalogs.

Diameter=0.942" (23.92 mm)
Length=1.773" (45.01 mm)

This has major implications if replacement is needed. BTW the set has 8
collets, 1/8 to 5/8".

Can anyone identify?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

From the picture of the TG, I'd have guessed maybe Universal
Engineering "acuraflex", but that OD doesn't jive with their sizes
either... http://www.mistequaygroup.com/univ/
--Glenn Lyford

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I was thinking of the Universal DT Series of "Double Taper" collets.
The old types a WW X Y YY ZZ, etc..

I have 3 different size holders, but I can't remember which series they are.
Go to this site to see them. I couldn't find dimensions on the site,
but you can probably call their phone # to ask for dimensions.
The problem for me is that my larger size is too big and my smaller
size is too small. For the size in between, I have only one collet and
it is in a dedicated setup, so I don't dare tear it apart right now.

It would be important to know if this a new mill or an old one. The
name might help.
If it's a new Asian mill, then forget that I said anything at all.

Pete Stanaitis
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
From the diameter and length you gave Michael, it looks like they are
officially referred to as non-standard Chinese (at least by this
source in the UK).

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...ollets---Other

Spot on, these are the ones! Someone else sent me the link simultaneously.
This appears to be the only reference available.
Like anything else, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. A mill
on sale with collets? I should have known there would be a hitch. I guess as
long as they are working, fine. If one breaks it's off to the shops for an
ER32 set...

Any time someone posts a collet chart or comparison guide (or machine
spindle tapers), I try to remember to save a shortcut to it/them and
put them in a metalworking collet info folder. I had more of them on
my last machine, but here are the ones I have presently:

http://www.loganact.com/tips/collet.htm

http://www.armurerieduroi.com/pages/...e_collets.html

http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty...ence_info.html

http://www.sommatool.com/catalog/eri...%20COLLETS.asp

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&btnG=Se arch

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapers.html

I have a few of these references, too. Needless to say none of them
acknowledges the existence of "Non-standard Chinese collets" :-)

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
Wild_Bill wrote:
From the diameter and length you gave Michael, it looks like they are
[...]

How much trouble would it be to cut the chuck for the next larger collet
type?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RB" wrote in message

How much trouble would it be to cut the chuck for the next larger collet
type?

I would not know where to start.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:
Michael Koblic wrote:
"RB" wrote in message

How much trouble would it be to cut the chuck for the next larger
collet type?

I would not know where to start.

With the next bigger standard collet?

I recently bought one of these chuckcs.
Now I know why it doesn't say anywhere on it what the collet type is.
I guess "Chink" would be the answer.

Cutting the chuck? Rather you than me.
The collets are available from House of Tools as a set, also I believe CDCO,
although my enquiry there has been met with a less than full response.
Anyway, so far so good, so I shall let the sleeping dogs lie.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 15:14:32 -0600, RB wrote:

Michael Koblic wrote:
Wild_Bill wrote:
From the diameter and length you gave Michael, it looks like they are
[...]

Anyone needing their spindle reground to a new taper have a look here,
and maybe call Wells-Index.

ebay Item number: 120319285980

That auction is for a B&S #9 to R8 conversion. They say they can do
others.

My only connection is that I own an Index vertical mill and bought a
riser block from them. Nice to deal with a machine tool maker that is
still in business.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Bison 5C collet chuck vs. Kalamazoo 1CC collet chuck vs. drawtube/ collet closer Louis Ohland Metalworking 2 August 2nd 07 02:35 AM
PC collet bottom? CNT Woodworking 4 March 28th 06 02:42 AM
Does anyone know wha this collet is? wayne mak Metalworking 7 March 10th 06 04:16 PM
C5 collet same as 5C collet? [email protected] Metalworking 4 December 4th 05 03:29 AM
ETM ER-20 Collet Chuck Terry Metalworking 0 June 23rd 05 05:02 AM