Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Surprise !

also posted to sejw
Several years ago I bought a Lincoln 225 Tombstone from a friend . Today I
finally got around to powering it up ... and it works . That's not the
surprise part , because I fullly expected it to work .
What surprised me was that after like 40+ years since I held a stinger I
can run a halfway decent bead . I ran down to Lowes earlier to pick up some
6011 and 6013 in 1/8" , I already had some 7018 .
6011 at 75 and 90 amps left a pretty decent bead , though a little flat .
Couldn't get it to strike at 60 amps , it just wanted to stick . I'm welding
on a piece of 1/4" scrap .
6013 was a little easier to get a decent bead with , ran it at 75/90/105 .
Amperage made a definite difference in bead profle . I did both flat surface
and corner with both rods , and never even opened the 7018 . I'll save that
for another day .
Up til now I've relied on the little 110v Lincoln Weldpak 100 . But there
have been times lately when a little more power would have been nice ... and
now I have it !
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
also posted to sejw
Several years ago I bought a Lincoln 225 Tombstone from a friend . Today I
finally got around to powering it up ... and it works . That's not the
surprise part , because I fullly expected it to work .

Like riding a bicycle!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Snag wrote:
also posted to sejw
Several years ago I bought a Lincoln 225 Tombstone from a friend .
Today I
finally got around to powering it up ... and it works . That's not the
surprise part , because I fullly expected it to work .

Like riding a bicycle!

--Winston

I was thinking of pointing out that it would be *really* impressive if he
could do it while riding a bicycle. But that was 'way too silly. Especially
for a Sunday...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Winston" wrote in message
Snag wrote:
also posted to sejw
Several years ago I bought a Lincoln 225 Tombstone from a friend
. Today I
finally got around to powering it up ... and it works . That's not
the surprise part , because I fullly expected it to work .

Like riding a bicycle!

--Winston

I was thinking of pointing out that it would be *really* impressive
if he could do it while riding a bicycle. But that was 'way too
silly. Especially for a Sunday...

--
Ed Huntress

Now that would be a neat trick !!

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:30:10 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

[...]

Good for you! Btw...60 amps is pretty low for 1/8" 60`6011. Its not all
that easy to start when the amps are low..and you dont get much of a
weld. Around 75-90 works for me. with 6011

Its a hot little deep penetrator made for dirty work and rough steel.
The AC version of 6010 more or less.

For a maybe prettier weld on 1/4"..try 5/32"s 6013. You certainly dont
need any penetration on metal that thing and 6013 is a pretty good
general purpose "farm rod" for most things.

Ive got one of t hose little Lincolns..and for certain things..they
certainly are damned hard to beat. But they just dont do rough work very
well, or thicker materials. 1/4" is about where I start reaching for one
of the bigger machines if Im not at the welding table

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/WeldingStuff#

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
Snag wrote:
also posted to sejw
Several years ago I bought a Lincoln 225 Tombstone from a friend
. Today I
finally got around to powering it up ... and it works . That's not
the surprise part , because I fullly expected it to work .

Like riding a bicycle!

--Winston

I was thinking of pointing out that it would be *really* impressive
if he could do it while riding a bicycle. But that was 'way too
silly. Especially for a Sunday...

--
Ed Huntress

Now that would be a neat trick !!

I finally get to the point where I can walk and chew
gum at the same time and you raise the bar *again*!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

also posted to sejw
Several years ago I bought a Lincoln 225 Tombstone from a friend .

Up til now I've relied on the little 110v Lincoln Weldpak 100 . But
there have been times lately when a little more power would have
been nice ... and now I have it !
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Ive got one of t hose little Lincolns..and for certain things..they
certainly are damned hard to beat. But they just dont do rough work
very well, or thicker materials. 1/4" is about where I start reaching
for one of the bigger machines if Im not at the welding table

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/WeldingStuff#

Gunner

I was having penetration problems with the 110 unit welding 11ga 1" square
using .025 ER70S6/CO2 . .035 flux core was better, but still not optimum ...
next AC cage I'll try the stick machine .
A 220v MIG machine would be nice , but that just ain't in the budget for
now .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 20:32:37 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Winston" wrote in message
Snag wrote:
also posted to sejw
Several years ago I bought a Lincoln 225 Tombstone from a friend
. Today I
finally got around to powering it up ... and it works . That's not
the surprise part , because I fullly expected it to work .

Like riding a bicycle!

--Winston

I was thinking of pointing out that it would be *really* impressive
if he could do it while riding a bicycle. But that was 'way too
silly. Especially for a Sunday...

--
Ed Huntress

Now that would be a neat trick !!

And need some really long leads!!

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

.. Use a tank of helium as your gas...nearly doubles the heat. Oh
****..you dont have the gas option installed..do you...bummer.

Where do you live? I might be able to find you a bigger mig...
Might be cheap......

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Actually yes I do have the gas solenoid , a tank of CO2 and one of C25 .

Where do you live? I might be able to find you a bigger mig...
Might be cheap......

Gunner

I'm in Memphis Tn , and while you may have a machine I can afford ,
shipping would kill me .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.
Amperage made a definite difference in bead profle . I did both flat
surface
and corner with both rods , and never even opened the 7018 . I'll save
that
for another day .
Up til now I've relied on the little 110v Lincoln Weldpak 100 . But there
have been times lately when a little more power would have been nice ...
and
now I have it !
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

I've got an old Lincoln Cracker Box sitting in the shop as well. I was
using some old 6" well casing a while back as bollards to go next to my
overhead doors when I was erecting the shop. After a great deal of
frustration with its limited duty cycle trying to weld them with my little
HF flux core feeder I broke out the cracker box for the first time in years.
They are crude rude tools, and when I was a kid everybody had one.
Amazingly it seemed to weld better after all those years of sitting there
being ignored.

What a surprise... The Medway Handyman UK diy 29 February 17th 09 08:26 PM
OT-Taxpayer Surprise. azotic Metalworking 186 July 26th 08 07:54 PM
October surprise Martin H. Eastburn Metalworking 0 May 12th 08 03:01 AM
October surprise aspasia Home Repair 7 October 24th 06 02:37 PM
Surprise. Very, very rare konan_909 Home Repair 0 October 1st 06 11:26 AM