Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spring for hanging baby basket?

We have a newborn in the house and I hung a wicker baby basket from
the ceiling so it could swing. Then I found a coil spring which I
added to the system, and the up-and-down motion comforts the baby much
more than swinging alone. Only thing is that the spring oscillates a
bit too fast, and not very far or long. I think I'm looking for a
slightly less stiff spring with more coiled length, but where to find
one? I can't think of any typical application where a spring like this
would be used. The basket + baby weighs about 10kg, if that helps.
Thanks,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

robobass Inscribed thus:

We have a newborn in the house and I hung a wicker baby basket from
the ceiling so it could swing. Then I found a coil spring which I
added to the system, and the up-and-down motion comforts the baby much
more than swinging alone. Only thing is that the spring oscillates a
bit too fast, and not very far or long. I think I'm looking for a
slightly less stiff spring with more coiled length, but where to find
one? I can't think of any typical application where a spring like this
would be used. The basket + baby weighs about 10kg, if that helps.
Thanks,

Try a rubber bungee cord !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 01:20:19 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

We have a newborn in the house and I hung a wicker baby basket from
the ceiling so it could swing. Then I found a coil spring which I
added to the system, and the up-and-down motion comforts the baby much
more than swinging alone. Only thing is that the spring oscillates a
bit too fast, and not very far or long. I think I'm looking for a
slightly less stiff spring with more coiled length, but where to find
one? I can't think of any typical application where a spring like this
would be used. The basket + baby weighs about 10kg, if that helps.
Thanks,

A couple screen door springs is what most ladies in my generation used
up in the Great North. If 2 isnt enough..add a 3rd. or even a 4th if
your springs are whimpy. Buy 4..the kid isnt going to get any
lighter....

And hang them using a bit of chain and a GOOD strong hook into a door
frame or ceiling joist so you can put it next to a chair so the lady can
read and bounce the kidlet.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about a fishing scale?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

But, it says on the package "24 to 30 pounds". It's not 24
pounds weight, yet.

The safety cable in case the spring breaks. Best advice I've
heard in years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dennis" wrote in message
news

Then you could also tell if the nappy was full.......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Enough with the safety tips already! The thing only hangs two feet off
the floor anyway so the toddler can swing it and watch the new baby.
The screen door spring sounds like a possibility. Any engineers out
there who can quote me some more precise numbers, like load/deflection/
rate etc? I'm looking through McMaster and getting a clue, but still
pretty dim on this. They do sell the exact thing I want here where I
live in Germany, but they can cost upwards of $100 new. I ain't one of
those types who pays a hundred bucks for a three dollar spring.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Artemus" wrote in message

"robobass" wrote in message
Enough with the safety tips already! The thing only hangs two feet off
the floor anyway so the toddler can swing it and watch the new baby.
The screen door spring sounds like a possibility. Any engineers out
there who can quote me some more precise numbers, like load/deflection/
rate etc? I'm looking through McMaster and getting a clue, but still
pretty dim on this. They do sell the exact thing I want here where I
live in Germany, but they can cost upwards of $100 new. I ain't one of
those types who pays a hundred bucks for a three dollar spring.

The relevant equations you need a
F=-kx and f=1/2pi*sqrt(k/m)
where F is the displacement force
k is the spring constant
x is the displacement distance
m is the mass of the baby
f is the oscillation frequency
(all units in meters/kilograms/seconds)

To slow the oscillation freq you need to either increase m or decrease k.
To decrease k use a weaker spring or use 2 or more springs in series.
The gotcha is that doing this will increase x so you'll need more room for
the total stretch.
To increase m put a bowling ball in with baby.
Art

That sounds like a lot of work. Say you just wanted to launch a 20-lb. baby,
oh, say, 200 feet with optimum ballistics?

--
Ed Huntress

I'd probably opt for a trebuchet and just play with it till I got it right.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 10:29*pm, "Artemus" wrote:
"robobass" wrote in message

[...]

Art,
Thanks,
That's what I was looking for. I bet I can find just the thing I need
at McMC for less than the cost of shipping!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

robobass wrote:

Enough with the safety tips already! The thing only hangs two feet off
the floor anyway so the toddler can swing it and watch the new baby.
The screen door spring sounds like a possibility. Any engineers out
there who can quote me some more precise numbers, like load/deflection/
rate etc? I'm looking through McMaster and getting a clue, but still
pretty dim on this. They do sell the exact thing I want here where I
live in Germany, but they can cost upwards of $100 new. I ain't one of
those types who pays a hundred bucks for a three dollar spring.

Speaking of springs, I remember seeing a physics demonstration of a thing
hanging on a spring, and the trick was they picked the spring such that
the period of the rotational moment was the same as the period of the
spring moment, (twirling vs. bobbing); and the motion traded off from
twirling to bobbing and back and so on. I have no idea how to adjust
either, other than changing the rotational inertia of the basket with
weights. ;-)

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

robobass wrote:

[...]

Wilberforce Pendulum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilberforce_pendulum

This will lead to a very confused child.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:42:52 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

robobass wrote:

[...]

No, Joe, it'll turn out gymnasts!

--
The more passions and desires one has,
the more ways one has of being happy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:42:52 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

robobass wrote:

[...]

Arial ballerina?

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 21:46:27 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:42:52 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

Wilberforce Pendulum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilberforce_pendulum

This will lead to a very confused child.

No, Joe, it'll turn out gymnasts!

Arial ballerina?

Huh? I didn't know fonts danced. Oh, you meant "aerial", dincha?

--
The more passions and desires one has,
the more ways one has of being happy.
-- Charlotte-Catherine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 3:46*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
*Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:42:52 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

robobass wrote:

[...]

You need an aerial hammock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2YQTLS4cM
I like this Picture.
http://www.suspendedanimationcircus....alhammock.html
It's made of two way or four way stretch lycra sometimes tricot nylon.
Four way is much stretchier.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 4:04*pm, robobass wrote:
Enough with the safety tips already! The thing only hangs two feet off
the floor anyway so the toddler can swing it and watch the new baby.
The screen door spring sounds like a possibility. Any engineers out
there who can quote me some more precise numbers, like load/deflection/
rate etc? I'm looking through McMaster and getting a clue, but still
pretty dim on this. They do sell the exact thing I want here where I
live in Germany, but they can cost upwards of $100 new. I ain't one of
those types who pays a hundred bucks for a three dollar spring.

Pick up the baby + basket a few times with one hand to calibrate
yourself, then find a spring that feels right at the same force in the
store. You could make two small rope or strap loops to hook onto the
spring so you can pull it hard enough.

Where in Germany? I was stationed in Heidelberg and Heilbronn and
drove all over Bayern fixing comm sites.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
robobass wrote:

[...]

Thanks!

This will lead to a very confused child.

Or a highly amused one, or maybe inquisitive, as in, "WTF???". ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 20, 12:34*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I'm in Cologne. A lot cloudier than where you were! What store? A
friend suggested the same thing. I was like "yeah, I think there's a
specialty spring store just behind the shopping center. I'll just pop
over there and see what they have." He said, "no, I just mean the
DIY". "Well," I said, "I don't think you've spent much time in one
lately if you think there is going to be a large assortment of springs
there except for specific replacement applications like garage
doors."
Maybe not everyone lives like this, but how many of you out there
could even go out and buy a 1/4-20 tap in a local store? I mean a real
polished hss single tap and not a bs import kit? Brick and mortar is
dead, and good riddance, imo. It never was any good.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 20, 4:31*pm, robobass wrote:
[...]

Google shows seven lettered hits for "Baumarkt Koeln" and
"Heimwerkerbedarf Koeln".
http://www.baumarkt.de/

Our local hardware store has a decent selection of taps, drill bits
etc, though they are pricey. They even had a new starter pinion that
fit my 1980's Sears tractor. The better-run stores do quite well
despite the big-box competition.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:31:19 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

[...]

Hell..I can hit any of the home improvement stores here in the States
and buy a 1/4-20 tap.

And just about any autoparts store as well.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:31:19 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

[ ... ]

Maybe not everyone lives like this, but how many of you out there
could even go out and buy a 1/4-20 tap in a local store? I mean a real
polished hss single tap and not a bs import kit? Brick and mortar is
dead, and good riddance, imo. It never was any good.

Hell..I can hit any of the home improvement stores here in the States
and buy a 1/4-20 tap.

And just about any autoparts store as well.

Yes -- but that will be most likely an "Ace" brand carbon steel,
not HSS. (At least still US made. :-)

Now -- if you are talking about metric sizes -- that is a
different matter.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:31:19 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

[ ... ]

Maybe not everyone lives like this, but how many of you out there
could even go out and buy a 1/4-20 tap in a local store? I mean a real
polished hss single tap and not a bs import kit? Brick and mortar is
dead, and good riddance, imo. It never was any good.

Hell..I can hit any of the home improvement stores here in the States
and buy a 1/4-20 tap.

And just about any autoparts store as well.

Yes -- but that will be most likely an "Ace" brand carbon steel,
not HSS. (At least still US made. :-)

Now -- if you are talking about metric sizes -- that is a
different matter.

How often do you see a 'Metric' baby? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Pick up the baby + basket a few times with one hand to calibrate
yourself, then find a spring that feels right at the same force in the
store. You could make two small rope or strap loops to hook onto the
spring so you can pull it hard enough.

jsw

Main halyard stretches about 3 feet with a 140 pound load

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/swing.jpg

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/swing.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:31:19 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

[ ... ]

Maybe not everyone lives like this, but how many of you out there
could even go out and buy a 1/4-20 tap in a local store? I mean a real
polished hss single tap and not a bs import kit? Brick and mortar is
dead, and good riddance, imo. It never was any good.

Hell..I can hit any of the home improvement stores here in the States
and buy a 1/4-20 tap.

And just about any autoparts store as well.

Yes -- but that will be most likely an "Ace" brand carbon steel,
not HSS. (At least still US made. :-)

Now -- if you are talking about metric sizes -- that is a
different matter.

How often do you see a 'Metric' baby? ;-)

About as often as I see a 1/4-20 baby. :-)

Granted, the subject line no longer matches the content, but
what is new about that? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:31:19 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

[ ... ]

Maybe not everyone lives like this, but how many of you out there
could even go out and buy a 1/4-20 tap in a local store? I mean a real
polished hss single tap and not a bs import kit? Brick and mortar is
dead, and good riddance, imo. It never was any good.

Hell..I can hit any of the home improvement stores here in the States
and buy a 1/4-20 tap.

And just about any autoparts store as well.

Yes -- but that will be most likely an "Ace" brand carbon steel,
not HSS. (At least still US made. :-)

Now -- if you are talking about metric sizes -- that is a
different matter.

How often do you see a 'Metric' baby? ;-)

About as often as I see a 1/4-20 baby. :-)

Granted, the subject line no longer matches the content, but
what is new about that? :-)

Nothing, but sometimes the subject & the drift are funny.