Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Spring for hanging baby basket?

On Jun 20, 4:31*pm, robobass wrote:
On Jun 20, 12:34*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Jun 19, 4:04*pm, robobass wrote:

Enough with the safety tips already! The thing only hangs two feet off
the floor anyway so the toddler can swing it and watch the new baby.
The screen door spring sounds like a possibility. Any engineers out
there who can quote me some more precise numbers, like load/deflection/
rate etc? I'm looking through McMaster and getting a clue, but still
pretty dim on this. They do sell the exact thing I want here where I
live in Germany, but they can cost upwards of $100 new. I ain't one of
those types who pays a hundred bucks for a three dollar spring.

Pick up the baby + basket a few times with one hand to calibrate
yourself, then find a spring that feels right at the same force in the
store. You could make two small rope or strap loops to hook onto the
spring so you can pull it hard enough.

Where in Germany? I was stationed in Heidelberg and Heilbronn and
drove all over Bayern fixing comm sites.

jsw

I'm in Cologne. A lot cloudier than where you were! What store? A
friend suggested the same thing. I was like "yeah, I think there's a
specialty spring store just behind the shopping center. I'll just pop
over there and see what they have." He said, "no, I just mean the
DIY". "Well," I said, "I don't think you've spent much time in one
lately if you think there is going to be a large assortment of springs
there except for specific replacement applications like garage
doors."
Maybe not everyone lives like this, but how many of you out there
could even go out and buy a 1/4-20 tap in a local store? I mean a real
polished hss single tap and not a bs import kit? Brick and mortar is
dead, and good riddance, imo. It never was any good.-

Google shows seven lettered hits for "Baumarkt Koeln" and
"Heimwerkerbedarf Koeln".
http://www.baumarkt.de/

Our local hardware store has a decent selection of taps, drill bits
etc, though they are pricey. They even had a new starter pinion that
fit my 1980's Sears tractor. The better-run stores do quite well
despite the big-box competition.

jsw