Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spring for hanging baby basket?

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 01:20:19 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

We have a newborn in the house and I hung a wicker baby basket from
the ceiling so it could swing. Then I found a coil spring which I
added to the system, and the up-and-down motion comforts the baby much
more than swinging alone. Only thing is that the spring oscillates a
bit too fast, and not very far or long. I think I'm looking for a
slightly less stiff spring with more coiled length, but where to find
one? I can't think of any typical application where a spring like this
would be used. The basket + baby weighs about 10kg, if that helps.
Thanks,

A couple screen door springs is what most ladies in my generation used
up in the Great North. If 2 isnt enough..add a 3rd. or even a 4th if
your springs are whimpy. Buy 4..the kid isnt going to get any
lighter....

And hang them using a bit of chain and a GOOD strong hook into a door
frame or ceiling joist so you can put it next to a chair so the lady can
read and bounce the kidlet.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.