Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Not Really a Gloat

I haven't cared much for HF for a while, but I needed a basic bench top
drill press as a second machine for my tapping head. When I have time to
spend actually in the shop I felt like I was spending too much time swapping
back and forth with belts/speeds and knocking out tapers and putting them
back when doing certain jobs. Besides I really don't like swapping heads
all the time. I finally brought it down to the little 12 speed from HF as
the one I could afford to just set on the bench and dedicate. I really
didn't want to buy it. I feel they take the machines guys like Grizzly
reject sometimes. I searched high and low for somebody else selling the
model at a lower or even the same price, but never found one. The machine
is listed as marked down on their website, and I found a discount code for
20% a couple weeks ago. Into the cart, but I just couldn't bring myself to
pull the trigger. This morning I punched in my credit card and finally did
it. The total came up to low. Huh? I looked at the invoice and realized
they didn't charge me any freight. "Crap!" I thought. "I'm going to have
to deal with going into the local store everyday to see if they have it
yet." Then I looked again. I was sure I selected regular ground freight.
"No freight on orders over $99," and my discount code still worked. Woo!
Hoo! Its been a long time since the stars aligned for me like that. Now if
its one of the "good" cheap machines when it gets here. LOL.

No its not an iggy or gunner class tool gloat, but I am happy with the world
this morning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:55:05 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

Most folks are happy with the HF machines. And if something is
wrong..take it back and they will get you another one, pretty much no
questions asked

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

More than one I've looked over a display at the HF store and decided the
item was "eh" but would do for what I needed, only to get home, open the
box or crate and find that the item inside was notably better than the
display model.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 17, 4:55*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
[...]

I've been using one for ten years and am happy with it. I think the
motor rating is a bit optimistic. It's not the quality of a 60 year
old Delta but neither is a new Delta.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, no ****. Delta has sure gone down hill. I got a 240 volt Delta
radial arm saw a few years ago, and I don't like it much at all. I use my
120V Rigid table saw for almost everything instead. In fact, right now the
RAS is being used as an auxiliary workbench, and its not even plugged in.
Hasn't been turned on in over a year. When I first got it setup it sucked.
The blade brake on the motor shaft screamed and never could be adjusted. I
finally took it off and threw it away. I never could get the saw adjusted
to zero (90 degrees) at the stop either. I just gave up and when I needed
to use it I set the angle with a carpenters square and clamp it down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 07:38:14 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I work with a Dealer who sells Powermatic, Jet, Delta and other
products. Jet is made by the same people who make Delta..in China.

Which is why I dont have any new machines in my shop. Just stuff 20 or
more years old. American made stuff. Not that all Jet stuff is bad.
Some of it is VERY good. Drill presses..light duty ones ....cringe...

Gunner