Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need high throughput pressure regulator

--OK here's the thing: I'm trying to push a good flow of propane
into a flaming widget but I'm only wanting to do it at about 10psi. There's
a wee pressure regulator attached to the widget (threaded 1/4" pipe but I
could go up to 3/8") but it's definitely acting as a flow restrictor, not
just a pressure regulator. Is there a device that can solve the problem?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer fired this volley in
:

--OK here's the thing: I'm trying to push a good flow of propane
into a flaming widget but I'm only wanting to do it at about 10psi.
There's a wee pressure regulator attached to the widget (threaded 1/4"
pipe but I could go up to 3/8") but it's definitely acting as a flow
restrictor, not just a pressure regulator. Is there a device that can
solve the problem?

The average individual appliance regulator has a needle valve oriface
that's very small. You won't get any appreciable flow through it.

Most gas regulators won't tune up to 10psi, either. I don't remember,
but think it was in the low tens of inches of water column.

Our professional flame effects use gas _rated_ high-flow regulators with
1/2" piping. I'd think a very large welding gas regulator might suit the
purpose.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

A cheaper and more readily available regulator would be one for a high
BTU/Hr "jet" burner outdoor cooker. I have one that is rated at 105,000
BTU/Hr which has an adjustable regulator that goes from 0-10 PSI. The
whole unit was $60 at a local sporting goods store.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--OK here's the thing: I'm trying to push a good flow of propane
into a flaming widget but I'm only wanting to do it at about 10psi. There's
a wee pressure regulator attached to the widget (threaded 1/4" pipe but I
could go up to 3/8") but it's definitely acting as a flow restrictor, not
just a pressure regulator. Is there a device that can solve the problem?

I use one that looks like the model with the small black knob shown here

http://www2.emersonprocess.com/en-US...Pages/67C.aspx

It's good to 300 or 400 thousand BTU. I payed about $50 for mine from the
local propane dealer. Mine goes into the tens of PSI. The place I got it
from made sure to get me the connector for the propane tank that didnt
have a pinhole drilled though it, like with a grill- it's like a piece of
pipe- there's no sort of flow restriction at all with my setup.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

Fisher (I think) makes propane regs that are adjustable up to either 30 or
60 psi . I have the 60 psi version on my foundry burner , but have yet to go
over 30 . I think I'm pumping around 80,000 BTU's thru it when it's at 30
psi (.030" orifice/1" Mikey burner), all I know is it'll take 10 lbs of
aluminum from ambient (cold furnace) to molten in under 20 minutes .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--OK here's the thing: I'm trying to push a good flow of propane
into a flaming widget but I'm only wanting to do it at about 10psi.
There's a wee pressure regulator attached to the widget (threaded
1/4" pipe but I could go up to 3/8") but it's definitely acting as a
flow restrictor, not just a pressure regulator. Is there a device
that can solve the problem?

I suggest he searches on Mike Porter and/or Ron Reil burners . Opens the
door to dozens of pages of info and designs . www.abana.org has links to a
lot of burner info- all within the capabilities of most home shop types .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a high flow adjustable regulator from Tejas Smokers that goes upto
20PSI. I run my big grill at pretty low pressure, but the higher flow rate
makes it burn like it should. Buy it and the green acme high flow inlet
fitting (unless you need the red one).

http://www.tejassmokers.com/gasregulators.htm

"steamer" wrote in message
--OK here's the thing: I'm trying to push a good flow of propane
into a flaming widget but I'm only wanting to do it at about 10psi.
There's
a wee pressure regulator attached to the widget (threaded 1/4" pipe but I
could go up to 3/8") but it's definitely acting as a flow restrictor, not
just a pressure regulator. Is there a device that can solve the problem?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

steamer wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on 14 Jun 2011 16:03:49 GMT:

--OK here's the thing: I'm trying to push a good flow of propane
into a flaming widget but I'm only wanting to do it at about 10psi. There's
a wee pressure regulator attached to the widget (threaded 1/4" pipe but I
could go up to 3/8") but it's definitely acting as a flow restrictor, not
just a pressure regulator. Is there a device that can solve the problem?

You need a larger regulator.(not higher pressure)
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.