Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default threaded grease/dustcaps

stryped wrote:
I have a trailer that I think uses very old truck or automotive axles.
It is 6 bolt on 5.5 pattern. One set of axles has threaded grease caps
which are missing. (The threads are on the outside of the hib, so in
essence the grease cap is female and the hub is male). I just re
greased the bearings and would like to replace these or fab somethign
up but I have tried everywhere and cant find them. The threads are on
the hub and look to be slightly over 2 inches and maybe fine thread.
Can anyone help me????? I am about to go crazy! No trailer parts
store, or anythign online has them.

Got a lathe ?

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:51 pm, "Snag" wrote:
stryped wrote:
I have a trailer that I think uses very old truck or automotive
axles. It is 6 bolt on 5.5 pattern. One set of axles has threaded
grease caps which are missing. (The threads are on the outside of
the hib, so in essence the grease cap is female and the hub is
male). I just re greased the bearings and would like to replace
these or fab somethign up but I have tried everywhere and cant find
them. The threads are on the hub and look to be slightly over 2
inches and maybe fine thread. Can anyone help me????? I am about to
go crazy! No trailer parts store, or anythign online has them.

Got a lathe ?

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

i have a welder and chop saw but no lathe.

Well , I guess you won't be makin' them caps yourself then .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 13, 4:05*pm, "Snag" wrote:
stryped wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:51 pm, "Snag" wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

you young !- Hide quoted text -

What about welding a very small section of pipe on the hub then
putting a regular dust cap in that?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
stryped wrote:
I have a trailer that I think uses very old truck or automotive axles.
It is 6 bolt on 5.5 pattern. One set of axles has threaded grease caps
which are missing. (The threads are on the outside of the hib, so in
essence the grease cap is female and the hub is male). I just re
greased the bearings and would like to replace these or fab somethign
up but I have tried everywhere and cant find them. The threads are on
the hub and look to be slightly over 2 inches and maybe fine thread.
Can anyone help me????? I am about to go crazy! No trailer parts
store, or anythign online has them.

Got a lathe ?

Sounds like maybe "bearing buddies"...typically these are installed onto
boat trailer wheel hubs so that one can easily flush water and replace with
fresh grease after each launch.

--IF so, suggest check a local marina...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...1440&bih=83 9

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 13, 7:45*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

stryped wrote:
I have a trailer that I think uses very old truck or automotive axles.
It is 6 bolt on 5.5 pattern. One set of axles has threaded grease caps
which are missing. (The threads are on the outside of the hib, so in
essence the grease cap is female and the hub is male). *I just re
greased the bearings and would like to replace these or fab somethign
up but I have tried everywhere and cant find them. The threads are on
the hub and look to be slightly over 2 inches and maybe fine thread.
Can anyone help me????? I am about to go crazy! No trailer parts
store, or anythign online has them.

Got a lathe ?

Sounds like maybe "bearing buddies"...typically these are installed onto
boat trailer wheel hubs so that one can easily flush water and replace with
fresh grease after each launch.

--IF so, suggest check a local marina...

I thought about those. But my problem is the size. The inside diameter
of the openign is about 2.1 inches. Outside opening is 2.7.

I would need a bearing buddy that is roughly 2.1 inhes. They have a
1.98, but that is the closest I could find.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...dies&um=1&ie=U...