Jim Sehr

Default Special threaded rod.

I used to have parts thread rolled or knurled to what ever size needed . If
the thread rolling company has the dies in stock the prices are not to dear.
They can grind and roll any size needed if they have correct dies. I used
two places in Los Angeles area that I can still think of.
One was Ace Grinding and another was Downey Grinding. One part was 1.25
dia.316 SS that I had knurled many times.and the knurl always came out
better
then off of my CNC lathe. And the threads also are stronger then cut
threads.

..

Joe

I used to have parts thread rolled or knurled to what ever size needed .
If
the thread rolling company has the dies in stock the prices are not to

dear.
They can grind and roll any size needed if they have correct dies. I used
two places in Los Angeles area that I can still think of.
One was Ace Grinding and another was Downey Grinding. One part was 1.25
dia.316 SS that I had knurled many times.and the knurl always came out
better
then off of my CNC lathe. And the threads also are stronger then cut
threads.

I'm looking for some special threaded rod so I'll try to track them down
when I get back to the shop Monday.

Thanks for the tip!
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

DOC

" Jim Sehr" wrote in message

then off of my CNC lathe. And the threads also are stronger then cut
threads.

Rolled threads are stronger than cut threads?

DOC

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
DOC wrote:

" Jim Sehr" wrote in message

then off of my CNC lathe. And the threads also are stronger then cut
threads.

Rolled threads are stronger than cut threads?

Yep. Grain in the metal is oriented by the rolling process.
And the root of the threads is rounded, not sharp-V, so the stress
risers are minimized. (This latter is overall strength of the threaded
rod, not just the strength of the threads themselves.)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Ed Huntress

"DOC" wrote in message
.. .

" Jim Sehr" wrote in message

then off of my CNC lathe. And the threads also are stronger then cut
threads.

Rolled threads are stronger than cut threads?

Oh, yeah. By quite a bit, too.

The grain is a part of it; rolled threads, like forgings in general, impose
a grain flow that tends to follow the lines of stress. Rolling also avoids
cutting across the flow of the grain that's already in the wrought stock.

And you get some work-hardening from the rolling, which, beneficially, is
concentrated near the surface.

There are specs for some highly-loaded engineering applications that
actually require a stronger alloy if the threads are going to be cut rather
than rolled.

Ed Huntress

Jerry J. Wass

"specially in Stainless Steel, rolling threads work hardens some
S.Stls--You'll gain
505 more than cut thds.

Jim Sehr wrote:

I know they are stronger some industries demand rolled threads. Google
rolled theads to check it out.
Jim
"DOC" wrote in message
.. .