Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What size motor for a -south -bend 9"?

Hi

What size motor is suitable for a 9" South Bend lathe?

--
Uffe Bærentsen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 11:14*am, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi

What size motor is suitable for a 9" South Bend lathe?

--
Uffe Bærentsen

Mine's in storage right now, but IIRC, it's a rather over-sized 3/4
horse jobbie. Big as a horse and a half, but they didn't have the
insulation we do now. Probably the weakest link isn't the motor, it's
the flat belt drive. Not necessarily bad when the tool digs in and
the pulley just spins instead of busting the tool off. There's a
reason they were popular in schools...

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 1:14*pm, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi

What size motor is suitable for a 9" South Bend lathe?

--
Uffe Bærentsen

A 3/4 HP 1725 RPM motor has been fine on my 10" South Bend.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Jun 2, 1:14 pm, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi

What size motor is suitable for a 9" South Bend lathe?

--
Uffe Bærentsen

A 3/4 HP 1725 RPM motor has been fine on my 10" South Bend.

jsw

Same here, on my SB 10L. It's the original motor, and the lathe is a Navy
shipboard model from 1945.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi

What size motor is suitable for a 9" South Bend lathe?

--
Uffe Bærentsen

Well , mine's a Logan 10" , and I get by just dandy with a 3/4 hp motor .
You might consider replacing the clipped leather or it might be a
composition belt with an appropriate length serp belt from your local auto
parts store . I did , and I much prefer it to the slippage I was getting
with a clipped belt .
The first time you stall and ruin a carbide tool in a cut you'll
understand ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 12:14*pm, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi

What size motor is suitable for a 9" South Bend lathe?

--
Uffe Bærentsen

The factory specified 1/4 hp for the early 9" models. I put a 1.5 hp
one on mine only because I found one cheap and it had the wiring to
accomodate the wiring for the drum switch to allow reversing the
motor. Here's a link that you might find useful:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
What size motor is suitable for a 9" South Bend lathe?

I can't say an actual size, but as long as you have to get a motor, make
it 3 phase & use a VFD. Size it twice what you'd use single phase, so
when it's speed is dialed down, you still have enough torque. Variable
speed is a VERY nice feature for a lathe.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den 03-06-2011 18:44, Bob Engelhardt skrev:
Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
What size motor is suitable for a 9" South Bend lathe?

I can't say an actual size, but as long as you have to get a motor, make
it 3 phase & use a VFD. Size it twice what you'd use single phase, so
when it's speed is dialed down, you still have enough torque. Variable
speed is a VERY nice feature for a lathe.

A 0.55kW (0.75HP) motor and a VFD is just what I'm planning to use :-)

--
Uffe Bærentsen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den 02-06-2011 23:11, Jim Wilkins skrev:
On Jun 2, 1:14 pm, Uffe wrote:
Hi

What size motor is suitable for a 9" South Bend lathe?

--
Uffe Bærentsen

A 3/4 HP 1725 RPM motor has been fine on my 10" South Bend.

Need to do my math.
Since I'm living in a part of Europa that uses 50Hz my motor is a 1380 rpm.
But I also plan to replace the pulley so I think it will work fine.
The original pylley seems to be 53mm.
My replacement will be either 70mm or 93mm.

--
Uffe Bærentsen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den 02-06-2011 19:14, Uffe Bærentsen skrev:
Hi

What size motor is suitable for a 9" South Bend lathe?

Thanks to all for comments.
Looks like I'm on the right track with my plans :-)

--
Uffe Bærentsen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 3:05*pm, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Den 02-06-2011 23:11, Jim Wilkins skrev /schrieb / napisal / a écrit:
A 3/4 HP 1725 RPM motor has been fine on my 10" South Bend.

Need to do my math.
Since I'm living in a part of Europa that uses 50Hz my motor is a 1380 rpm.
But I also plan to replace the pulley so I think it will work fine.
The original pylley seems to be 53mm.
My replacement will be either 70mm or 93mm.

--
Uffe Bærentsen

I don't go by the RPM, but by how the lathe is cutting. When the
cutoff bit chatters I slow it down, if steel chips aren't turning
yellow or blue I might speed it up.

jsw