Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is "steam oil" good for anything else?

Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 May 2011 13:49:35 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? Bob

I should think that the tiny amount of oil a person is able to wring
out of steam and collect in a can would be quite valuable...to
someone.

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? Bob

Where are you? I could use some for my model steam angine in Ontario
Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 20, 11:49*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? *Bob

Live steamers would love it. I also had a old-timey recipe for making
axle grease for wagons using steam oil after the soap carrier was made
up. Called for 50 gallons for making about 1000 lbs of grease, so not
really for small quantities.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Or should I just pitch it (small quantity)? Bob

I just remembered that steam oil (also called steam cylinder oil) has some
lard oil in it. It's not much, but it has something to do with emulsifying
it with condensed steam, I think. This is from 30- or 40-year-old memory, so
don't quote me.

The old-timers would have a fit if you used motor oil in a model steam
engine. But, other than that use, I can't think of anything else for which
you'd want just a small amount of lard oil. It's probably not enough to use
it as a cutting oil.

I once belonged to a model engine club and the steamers had a lot of arcane
knowledge.

--
Ed Huntress